The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2007, 06:07 PM   #1
HarrisonTX

Help me get motivated

Hey guys. I just dont know what to do. Ive got this '69 here... I used to drive it everyday until i got deployed came back and bought a '97 pickup that got double mpg, so now it sits. In '04 i overheated the motor on power tour so i pulled the motor and replaced the rings cause i figuered they lost their tension. I didnt touch the valve seals. now it misses on one cylinder, and im pretty sure its the valve seals leaking, cause i put all new ignition parts, and it still misses. Its a SOB to pull the heads because of the insane brakets i have (factory a/c) The damn a/c brackets bolt to 2 intake bolts, exhaust bolts, water pump i think, its a huge ordeal to mess with compared to my stripped malibu which has spoiled me cause its so easy. Also while i was deployed a very little bit of rust developed in both rockers, so its no longer rust free. The paint is about 7 years old, and still looks great but it is very very thin, and chips real easy, so i have all theses small chips that have rusted a tiny bit. I just dont know what to do. 69/70 models are my least favorite style. should i continue to let it sit, pull the heads and fix it, i have 2 other projects that take my time and money too. Its got still matching numbers so im reluctant to put a 700r4 in there, but i would definently drive it if i did that, but if i said screw the original tranny, why not just drop a brand new crate motor into it, but then if i do that i dont wanna drive around in a rusty truck, so i might as well fix the rockers, which would lead to me having the entire truck repainted so it matched perfectly and got ride of those tiny scrathes. If i do all that im out like $6k or something, So if im gonna spend that much, i might as well trade it plus 6k for a beautil 67-72 short fleet. I just dont know what to do. I kinda wanna sell it, but everytime i drive it, im reminded of all the good times, and the fact that its my first truck. I just dont know what to do.
'86 k5 blazer
'06 Duramax
HarrisonTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:28 PM   #2
jaros44sr

Re: Help me get motivated

As far as the valve seals go, can't you blow up the cylinders with air and buy the valve spring tool that bolts to the head, seems easier to me...jmho

Always wondered if those wheels would bolt up to our trucks...

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:31 PM   #3
krue
Designated A-hole!

If I could go back and keep my first truck I would. It ain't practical, but then again what is anymore.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:57 PM   #4
KAILUAZ
King of Rust

I feel your pain, my 70 is giving me headaches and I even listed in on Craigslist,, but then I think about the 72 Blazer I had in high school and how much fun I had in that truck and hate that I got rid of it.
I say keep it, sounds like a lot less work needed than most of us here!
Good luck.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:13 PM   #5
blueglass

I agree with Jaros44 on doing the valve guide seals that way as its the easiest and cheapest way of doing it also. Pull all of the plugs to see which ones are caking the worst as then you will know just how bad they are. The seals should be no more then around $80.00 for the complete set and I would also change the Valve guides to Bronze ones as well for the unleaded fuel we use if they haven't been done as yet. The buildup on the pistons will eventually take the top off of a piston so I suggest doing it soon to save yourself any further damage. I would also suggest changing the rear end to a set of 307 gears to lower the fuel milage as its cheaper then replacing the tranny by a long ways. By the wheels I would suspect you have the TH400 behind a 350 under the hood but may be wrong of course. My truck is also Artic White and is a 1972 GMC Texas Blueglass LB with the Rear end changed from the 307 to a 3.42 with a Auborn Posi. Under the hood I have a 355 with the 292 angle plug heads and a Holley 700 on top. As far as the paint goes I would visit a good paint supply shop who can match it up with the faded paint and just do the spots required and then think about selling it as if you are not useing it as a asset then its a liability. Painted and running good will bring you a much higher dollar value for it and less to pay out in replacing it in the future as well. Thats my thoughts and hope they help.
blueglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:04 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

A 3.07 gear would cost more than a 700R4 conversion, even if the tranny was done right. A 4.10 gear is the best you'll find for that, and is what it should have unless opted otherwise when new.
I can't give any advice on what to do... I'd give my left lug nuts to own one that nice.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:58 AM   #7
bayer20

Well, you allready did your bottom end and now the heads! You could just take them off drop them off at the mashine shop and for around 150-200 bucks have new heads. I'd say bite the bullet and do it! just get a second oppinion that that is the problem your having. You also could have a bad camshaft lobe or a bad rocker arm, the puchrods tend to wear so bad that they eat them self through the rocker arm.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:02 AM   #8
dan42

Even if you have to park it, keep it. I would love to have my '71 Blazer back.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:29 AM   #9
bayer20

i hear a allot on this board about 700r4 conversions and I hate to burst your bubble but you wont get hardly any more mpg's maybe 1-2 if your lucky 3. you also can't build a 700r4 as strong so they are considered to be week. Lets say you can covert your truck to an overdrive transmission and it would cost you $500-1000, you can buy allot of gas for that.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:48 AM   #10
jarvizu1

nice truck i would keep it. and if its too much on gas then u could drive your other truck.
jarvizu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:05 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

You need motivation?You probably won`t be able to replace it as easy as to keep it.
You know,I think slappin` overdrive in these old trucks is over rated.I mean,If you can do it cheap(rare)and have the time,then great!But,all you need to do is slow down to where these things really want to cruise and you`ll get the same mileage as with that o/d you spent all your gas money on.I`m just saying the best way to save money is don`t spend it.
I`d never put a 700r4 in a truck w/o a rebuild and upgrades.Even if the trans was free,it`s a good bit of money.They don`t hold up like the good ol`TurboHydramatics,either.I`d love to have o/d,but run just fine without.
Same thing with gears.If you drive the speed the gears are happy at,you`ll get the mpg.If your rear needs rebuilt,heck yes,slap a higher set in there.But,I don`t spend gas money on gears,either.
It comes down to,it costs alot to drive these trucks as fast as modern trucks,which ain`t that cheap.Not just to drive them.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:56 AM   #12
GREASEMONKEY72

i agree alot with what special-K said, its your first truck and youll kick yourself for the rest of your life if you sell it, mine is my first truck and its never leaving my ownership

the valve seals arent that hard to do, i did them on mine with the heads on the engine, all i had to do was take off the valve covers and i used a spring compesser from snap-on and used the compresser to pump the cyl full of air using a compression tester hooked up the hose with the cyl on TDC to hold the valve so it wont fall in and the seals just slide off and on, if you do them be sure to get the umbrella seals

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:41 PM   #13
HarrisonTX

Thanks guys, thats what i needed.
a few mentioned driving the truck where the gears like it, lol. I drive 55 everywhere. on a 2 lane 70mph that pisses some folks off, but screw 'em!
sounds like i just may keep 'er for now
It is a t400 tranny with 4.10's out back. I have thought about slappin some 3.07's or 3.42's in there seein as how i dont do much pullin with it.
'86 k5 blazer
'06 Duramax
HarrisonTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:49 PM   #14
special-K
Special Order

I had a`71 CustomCamper/20 that I rebuilt the heads on(for no-lead).It had the TH400,350,and a 4.10 Dana.After getting the heads on,I hopped in it and ran 500 miles south to Myrtle Beach,SC at 75 & 80 mph the whole way.It didn`t hurt it a bit.Sure,it drank the gas like a power boat.But,damn,that thing sounded sweet.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote