The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-03-2007, 10:27 AM   #1
70ChevyCST

Opinions wanted: Grill Replacement

Hi Guys, I'm wanting to replace my old dull aluminum grill on my 1970 Chevy CST-10. I've looked in LMC and now Eckler's. LMC offers the non-letter grill which I'm not crazy about for $300.00 and their lettered grill is out of site at $750.00!! Eckler's seems to be the place to go...just not sure what to get...the steel chromed outer grill with headlight bezels and steel billet inner grill for $499.00 (not stock but certainly cool looking) or the stock polished aluminum outer grill (only) for $449.00. Has anyone bought either one of these and have any opinion? Do they fit good? Which one holds up better? My inner grill is still in good condition...Would it fit behind the steel chromed grill if I don't like their steel billet inner grill? Both these places do not have technical people to talk to unfortunately..Also, Which one has a better shine? Thanks guys...thought I'd go to the source to find this out before I buy..

Bob
I'm a grateful Christian not perfect in any way, but always striving to become better with Christ's help. I'm grateful for what He did for me on that cross at Calvary. I hope there is a desire in your heart for the same: If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9
70ChevyCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:00 AM   #2
c10ss69

Re: Opinions wanted: Grill Replacement

I got my grill from Classic parts of america for 375.00 and it had the lettering. It's a nice piece and I'm using my inner grill and the billet inserts I got from LMC.
c10ss69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:55 PM   #3
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I was curious about a billet insert to replace the eggcrate of the original design. Then I saw it in the LMC catalog.

I prefer the original grille to the unlettered version from the aftermarket. I know the idea of a chrome grille is to get a nice, shiny look on the front, but I still think the anodized aluminum is nice if it is in good condition.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:45 PM   #4
fatboys69

I installed the "plain" no script grill from LMC and it fit great with no problems.
I like the "clean/smooth" look of no letters, I also took the letters off of the tailgate band. During repaint it will lose the bowtie on the hood nose, side mirrors and emblems on fenders, ( losing upper trim and keeping lower trim )
fatboys69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:07 PM   #5
c10ss69

[QUOTE=ChevLoRay;2248630]I was curious about a billet insert to replace the eggcrate of the original design. Then I saw it in the LMC catalog.

This is the billet insert that goes over the original inner grill...............
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2007, 03:09 PM   #6
c10ss69

Oh, that isn't my blazer but I wish it was....................
Old 07-03-2007, 05:07 PM   #7
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

You guys are paying too much for parts.Most of the BB vendors will beat LMC pricing every day.Try Tim Christian,Brothers,GMC Paul or one of the other fine BB vendors.They build these trucks and can tell you from experience what is involved in doing a grille(or any other part).They also support this fine website and are great guys just to know even if you are not into trucks.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:31 PM   #8
special-K
Special Order

Eklers sent me a catalog once and I couldn`t believe how much they wanted for parts.Besides,they`re just newbies to me jumpin`on the bandwagon with higher prices.Why switch to them?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:40 PM   #9
jfiljr

just my 2 cents...the last parts I ordered from Ecklers took 2 MONTHS to arrive...
jfiljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:46 PM   #10
kbs71
71 rustless in texas

I'm with PanelDeland use the board vendors they give better prices and know what their talkin' about cuz' most of them have a truck or 2 or 12....
Se the linky thingy below

"No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why"

71 C-10 LWB presently in a perpetual state of disassembly
'96 Toyota (my work car)
'04 Mustang Convertable (wife's car & other money pit)
Latest aquesition and why my trucks still in the garage covered with junk..
2010 Aqua Blue metallic 6 speed Manual LS3 2SS/RS Camaro (I want one of these in my truck

FAQ here

VENDORS here

SUPPORT THE BOARD here

My second favorite SITE
kbs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:00 PM   #11
67 cst swb

Try board vendors...
link...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/links/browselinks.php?c=2
I personally recommend GMC Paul's, but all the above mentioned are great. With these guys the pricing is better and the knowledge is priceless... tell them you found them through the board.
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White

Last edited by 67 cst swb; 07-03-2007 at 07:03 PM.
67 cst swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:19 PM   #12
70c10swb
no brain no headache

is your grille damaged or is it just dull and faded? I don't know if you know or not but the grilles have a coating on them that over time makes it look dull. If you strip that off (oven cleaner works good) and polish with aluminum polish and repaint the black parts. With a little work you can save yourself 400 bucks and still have a nice original piece.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:33 AM   #13
70ChevyCST

Thank you Gentlemen! Wow...lots of good replies. I do know that the original grilles have anodizing on them that turns dull over the years. I had no idea that oven cleaner takes it off though!!...I will try that before going through the expense of buying a new one because the grill is straight. If it turns out to be too much work ....I'll try the board vendors before I go the LMC or Eckler's route...2 months to get your parts?? Eckler's wants $85.00 just for frieght on that grill from the midwest to NY!! Thanks for the links guys...I'm glad I asked you before I ordered anything...

God bless you all,

Bob
I'm a grateful Christian not perfect in any way, but always striving to become better with Christ's help. I'm grateful for what He did for me on that cross at Calvary. I hope there is a desire in your heart for the same: If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9
70ChevyCST is offline   Reply With Quote