The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2002, 09:18 PM   #1
Rhino

5 speed

well my th350 just died on the way home from work so i am in the market for finding a replacement....I have been wanting to do the swap to a 700R4 so i guess this is a good time, but...I have been thinking of trying to put in a 5 speed stick like out of one of the late model trucks....any problems with those trannies...., but the main question how involved is adding in a clutch pedal and the hydrolic system into an auto truck?? Has anybody converted there auto to a manual? and pics of the interior work?

Thanks,

Rhino
Old 09-20-2002, 09:42 PM   #2
Alexis
Member since 2000

i say put the work into a 5 speed. cause somtime you just feel like dropping the hammer and oh does it feel good. plus you might plant more power to the ground then an auto
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 09:46 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Get ahold of Huck, he has done the hyd clutch 5 speed into auto truck.
I have driven his 5 speed truck too, and I must say, he did an outstanding job, and it is an awsome rig.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 11:06 PM   #4
Cheyenne Super

5 speed

I am getting a tremec tko from Fortespartsconnection.com. They are going to set me up with the clutch master cylinder, hydraulic throwout bearing(with the hydraulic throwout bearing you don't have to worry about clearance problems with headers. there is no linkage just a braided steel line into the bell housing) they also have bellhousings and the rest of the necessary clutch components. The guy a fortes told me that even with the 570 plus hp 502 I want to build I would never break it.
Cheyenne Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 11:39 PM   #5
Lumpy
2 tons of fun

I too plan on getting a Tremec TKO from fortes. Are you going to use the stock shifter location, the middle or the forward one? Lumpy
Lumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 01:09 AM   #6
Rhino

Cheyenne Super - is your truck an auto now??? if so what are you doing about the parts on the inside of the cab
Old 09-22-2002, 08:00 AM   #7
Cheyenne Super

5 Speed

My truck is currently an auto although originally a 4 speed. I measured from the bellhousing flange to the existing hole in the floor if the bigblock doesn't push that dimension back I will probably use the rear shifter location. If it does move everything back I will have to go with the middle.

As for the parts on the inside of the cab I bought a clutch pedal from JHickson6 off the board here, as for the rest I will be converting to complete hydraulics. This way there will be no clutch linkage or throwout arm to get in the way of headers.
Cheyenne Super is offline   Reply With Quote