The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2007, 11:36 PM   #1
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

Update Project 72

well i am proud to say i finally got my cab off today, by myself i might add. (i have those friends that when they need you your supposed to drop everything, but when you need them voice mail?) anyways i removed everything off the cab outside and inside . everything went well only took me about 2 hours , im going to go to work in the morning and get a bed cart. and then take the bed and remove the rear harness. then i guess i am going to bust azz and get it down to the bare frame. i called the media blaster today, they charge 60 dollars and hour to sand blast,and 80 and hour to media. im thinking sand for the frame and media for the cab... i just worried that the sand will get the metal to hot and warp????? any input would help.
and any tips for the next steps would help also. heres some pics , i threw in my buggle boy pose for you guys have a good one....tonyName:  MVC-006F.JPG
Views: 214
Size:  76.4 KB

Name:  MVC-001F.JPG
Views: 213
Size:  58.1 KB

Name:  MVC-007F.JPG
Views: 210
Size:  69.0 KB

Name:  MVC-005F.JPG
Views: 207
Size:  84.8 KB

Name:  MVC-004F.JPG
Views: 208
Size:  84.1 KB
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:47 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Update Project 72

you ain't warpin the frame with sand... some one who knows what he's doing can blast the body with no warpage.
Don't use baking soda for the body media, some of the paint makers have been saying it can cause bad things after the paint is dry.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:57 PM   #3
bad6772

yeah im sorry i knew that the sand wouldnt warp the frame.(IM A FRAME /BODY TECH) i have just heard nightmares about quarters warpin. or fenders,im thinking that the sand would be ok on the cab since there really isnt a long panel that would be flimsy other wise
Old 07-29-2007, 03:07 AM   #4
BurnoutNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad6772 View Post
yeah im sorry i knew that the sand wouldnt warp the frame.(IM A FRAME /BODY TECH)
then you should know

i use media called STARBLAST

worrks great... not to abrassive and still removes everything quickly
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:14 AM   #5
bad6772

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnoutNova View Post
then you should know

i use media called STARBLAST

worrks great... not to abrassive and still removes everything quickly
frame tech , means i should know? < how to repair bent frames
my only concern was the roof. im am only going to sand or media blast the cab and chassis, everything else body wise is either new or in great shape. the main reason i decided to do a complete tear down again. is because when i first did the truck, i was a wee lad in the automotive repair world. so there were issues i had with the way things were done the first time. example. my floor . at the time there wasnt any rust issues, nor did i really know how to repair them if there were,also i never touched the frame, no cleaning, no paint nadda. being a frame/body tech for 8 years now. i have learned alot. and with this site and more intelligent people around me, for input and knowledge is free, i just figured it was time to give my 72 the love i thaught it was deserved. because not only have i grown since the first re-build. but the people i deal with on a daily basis wont steer me wrong, or allow me to make things worse. i work in a collsion shop. the largest independent in indiana, we work on cars that are wrecked. there is no restorations that we do. we work on anything from new ferraries<spell to a cavalier. i am certified to work on pretty much anything that has to do with collison work. through I CAR and i am a master gm collison technician . and a couple other european manifactures none of which would either show you rust repair or replacement....tony

Last edited by bad6772; 07-29-2007 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:05 AM   #6
Aarons72s

Just be careful with the hood. They warp real easy. The 67 I built for a guy, see link in bottom of my sig, used heavy sand and a industrial blaster to blast the whole truck. He did the bed, cab, tailgate, hood and core support. The only thing that warped was the hood, and it was bad. Ended up getting a cowl induction hood for it as the hood was warped to bad to repair.

I have had friends like that to. They need you now but when you need them they are no where to be found. Looks like you are off to a great start. Keep up the good work.

Last edited by Aarons72s; 07-29-2007 at 12:06 AM.
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote