The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2007, 02:54 AM   #1
streetmaster42

Opinions about sidepipes vs stacks on 2wd

After i figure out what to do with my front clip, i have to move on to the exhaust system. The only thing i have is headers right now, untill i make up my mind what the rest of the exhaust will be. The truck is a 76 GMC shortbed fleetside, with P275/R60/15's on 15x8 Rallys. I like the sound that the old stingrays with sidepipes have, so i thought of either sidepipes, or the stacks that a lot of 4wd trucks to go with. I cant stand the sound of glasspacks, nor the constent drone of Flowmasters. The truck will have a 2/4 drop, which the body will be atleast a foot from the ground, so the stance wont be to low, or to high if i were to choose sidepipes. (Please Advise)
streetmaster42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 04:20 AM   #2
Ivan D.
glamoros piece o' lowlife

Re: Oppinions about sidepipes vs stacks on 2wd

I was contemplating something like that for my truck, I'd have used those chrome dual-3" tips you can find in yer local parts store for around $25 a piece. It'd be loud, like in-yer-face loud, so you'll be very likely to get pulled over for noise pollution if you lay on the gas while a cop is right next to you, but it'll be also pretty cool me thinks. I didn't do it for the same reason I didn't do the single 3" stack - damn headers are too high behind the frame rails, can't do any side turns without getting into some crazy 3D pipe bending

Last edited by Ivan D.; 08-18-2007 at 04:21 AM.
Ivan D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:20 AM   #3
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Arrow Re: Oppinions about sidepipes vs stacks on 2wd

Like i said in the other post on stacks i'v never seen a 73-87 that looked right with them and i'v seen side pipes on alot of different types of vehicles and IMO they only look right on a Vette.

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE

Last edited by 87 STEPPER; 08-18-2007 at 07:21 AM.
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 02:09 PM   #4
streetmaster42

WOW I guess sidepipes or stacks would be a bad move HA
streetmaster42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:45 PM   #5
hardline_42

I have Hooker Sidepipes for my '81 Camaro and I love them. The key to sidepipes or stacks (for gasoline engines) is to muffle them correctly so you don't lose any of the performance of a full length system and keep the sound in check. I highly suggest these: http://www.spiralturbobaffles.com/customers.html

They're worth every penny and the sound is tuneable. Also, you could do a setup like they have here: http://blackclouddiesel.com/Stacks/stacks.htm with a Y-pipe to I-pipe to split stacks. I would go that route if it were me because you won't have to worry about ground clearance (it's worse than you think with sidepipes. The bottoms of mine are all flat from scraping stuff).
hardline_42 is offline   Reply With Quote