The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2007, 03:01 PM   #1
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Cool Lincoln Fan

Thanks to all for recommending the Lincoln fan.

I got one from E-Brake for about $70 with shipping. Dirty as hell, but I cleaned her up. The controller I am getting seems pretty low budget, with a radiator sensor that turns on at 180. I hope this cools the stocker 350 with the new 4-core.

Another problem is that the temp gauge is reading 240 while running down the road cool. The guage is good, but I think the new motor's sending unit (which was *supposed to be new*) is whacked. I'm thinking about a couple of mechanical guages.

The question is, now, what is the middle wire on the connection to the fan supposed to do?

I know I'm lame. But I *do* know + (Brn/White) and - (Black). But the Blue center wire? I don't have the loom for the thermo-coupling (or whatever you call it....to look at yet. But I figured I'd ask so I don't trip over myself when it comes and I try the install.

Also, in another seriously lame question: It seems logical to me that when removing the fan and fan clutch, I'll need shorter bolts for the pulley. Anybody know the lenth of the bolts I'll need? I ask, because the truck has been returned to the motor installer to chase an oil leak (he thinks it's the oil sending unit), so I can't just go out and measure.

Finally, should I worry about the alternator output with this set up? How do I know what output my new alt is pushing. I didn't buy iyt. And the paperwork from the Previous Owner just shows the new purchase price and no alt. model no. or any other data.

Thanks, All.
Attached Images

But always a rat.

Last edited by magwakeenercew2jh; 08-25-2007 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Lame
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:10 PM   #2
stepside454

Re: Lincoln Fan

There is someone here that knows the exact answer, but I do know its a 2 speed fan, one wire is low speed, the other is high, not sure what one is what. could hook up to battery to find out. some use low for whenever AC is on.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:42 PM   #3
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

When I installed my new engine, I used a late 70s style large diameter sender for the temp gauge because the block had a larger hole than the one in the old 305. It read very high, and scared me pretty good during break-in. I got an adapter, and installed the old small diameter sender back in it, and it runs right on the thermostat now.

This is te one I removed that read high:

Slonaker
Old 08-25-2007, 11:06 PM   #4
oldpurple

I have the lincoln fan in a buick regal project of mine, and with it on HIGH there was no problem keeping the 455 olds cool. They move a ton of air.

The lincoln fan draws a lot of juice though, 30-40A continuous on high and close to 100A on startup (or more) from what I can remember. So make sure the charging system and relay/fuse are up to the task for that kind of current.
oldpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:23 AM   #5
67 dually
DUALLY CLUB

you guys ever try the Jeep fan conversion like the 67-72 guys do I have used these fans on other projects and they move alot of air and fit most fan shrounds there are pics on the 67-72 message board
67 dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:57 AM   #6
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Red face Re: Lincoln Fan

[QUOTE=Slonaker;2326537] I got an adapter, and installed the old small diameter sender back in it, and it runs right on the thermostat now.

/QUOTE]

Great. Do you remember where you got the adapter?
But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 05:44 PM   #7
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

[QUOTE=magwakeenercew2jh;2327017]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker View Post
I got an adapter, and installed the old small diameter sender back in it, and it runs right on the thermostat now.

/QUOTE]

Great. Do you remember where you got the adapter?
From a hardware store (Lowe's). I just took both senders in with me, and matched something up.

I checked my truck folder, but don't have the receipt. I was hoping it would tell you waht you need.

Slonaker
Old 08-26-2007, 09:07 PM   #8
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

put a capacitor on the lead wire running to the fans, and it wont be as robbing of your electrical system. heres a link to all kinds of stuff like that...this is where I spend most of my paycheck yall...
http://www.mcmaster.com/

hence why Im broke lol

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:29 PM   #9
hardline_42

I believe the middle wire is the low speed. You only want to hook up the high speed. To keep from drawing too many amps on startup, I suggest getting a DC Controls fan controller. It slowly ramps up the power as needed. Mine has never had to run full power and I barely notice it's on. Never had any cooling problems.
hardline_42 is offline   Reply With Quote