The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2007, 12:38 AM   #1
67CHIP72
STOLEN

Rear Diff Leaking

My rear differential started leaking pretty good so I'm gonna pull the cover and replace the gasket tomorrow. Any tips on this procedure? I bought a Fel-Pro gasket and a tube of black RTV. What is best to clean off old gasket?
Old 09-16-2007, 02:45 AM   #2
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Re: Rear Diff Leaking

This stuff works better then any gasket or sealent that I have ever used.

esll.

Did a small post (HELP....!) You might want to look it up as I also cured the chattering posi rear end syndrome that I and so many of us have.
Attached Images

This truck has just the right amount of energy for me!

Author: Warren Lake .... (member)

Last edited by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE; 09-16-2007 at 04:01 PM.
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 04:20 PM   #3
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Lightbulb Re: Rear Diff Leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67CHIP72 View Post
My rear differential started leaking pretty good so I'm gonna pull the cover and replace the gasket tomorrow. Any tips on this procedure? I bought a Fel-Pro gasket and a tube of black RTV. What is best to clean off old gasket?

This is pretty much straight forward as it looks. Get your pan ready and back out bolts except for a few at the top just loosen these for the time being. Take a screw driver pry between outer pan cover and diff. to break seal and allow to drain. After a couple of minutes take remaining bolts out at the top and rmove pan cover.

Clean both pan cover and diff. of old gasket material etc. I use a body shop razor as this will remove the old gasket quickly and clean with solvent and wipe off. Clean up bolt threads as well at this time.

I use "Right Stuff" instead of a gasket. Go to Napa and purchase some you'll be glad that you did. Follow instructions on tube.

Assemble and your done. The products that I used are in my other post and I would highly reccomend that you use them as they made a huge difference for me and my diff.

Good luck,

esll.

At this time look for any metal in oil pan or at bottom of diff. housing. Also insect gears for wear, chipped teeth etc.

This truck has just the right amount of energy for me!

Author: Warren Lake .... (member)
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 04:54 PM   #4
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Rear Diff Leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67CHIP72 View Post
First make sure that it's not the front drive shaft seal. The oil tends to move backwards and coat the whole underside of the differential.

I did the Fel-Pro gasket install on mine about a month ago and used sealant on both sides.

And regardless of which method you use, the most important thing is to remove all of the old gasket material off and clean as well as you possibly can.

The next thing you need to do is to make sure the cover is straight. I used a flat iron to make sure mine was straight.

And while I had the cover off, I cleaned it and sanded it and repainted it. No leaks...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote