The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2007, 07:28 AM   #1
Philo Beddoe

Arrow Engine and Transmission SWAP?

I've got a 1966 GMC Long Bed, Side Step. It's an inline 6 with a 3spd on the tree. Currently the timing chain is dead and the truck is sitting.
I plan on getting her up and running with a new timing chain, but I'm considering a more powerful upgrade...

I need some input on a modern small block and automatic transmission swap.

What would the best configuration be? Not looking to make it a show truck... just strong and healthy. I'm thinking of a Chevy 350 with a 700R4... would this be an easy swap? Thanks for your help....

PHILO BEDDOE
Attached Images

Philo Beddoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:58 PM   #2
PrerunnerRob

Re: Engine and Transmission SWAP?

tpi350 with a 700r4 out of a camaro, that way you could get everything in one shot.
PrerunnerRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 04:10 PM   #3
chevytrucknut

1st- welcome to the group.
2nd- 350/700r4 is a great combo, but not from a camaro. The rear mount is not going to work well with a crossmember that you would want to use in a truck. But you could change the tail shaft housing however. I learned this the hard way.
3rd- I've heard you may have problems clearing the 700r4 under a cab floor that has the low hump and you'll need to change the larger 4 speed one. I haven't done this myself yet but I got the info from someone who has.

Like your truck.---Right turn Clide.
chevytrucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 08:12 PM   #4
04Xrider
Registered thread killer

I had the 250 six in mine, and swaped it for a late model roller 350 that I built, and a 700R4. Some things I had to do was trade out the radiator, remove the old trans cross member and install a aftermarket one, cut down the driveshaft and have a yoke for the 700R4 installed into it. There was not quit enough room under the floor hump but was easily fixed with a 4lb hammer. Of course there are the obvious things like exhaust, wirring, and so on.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:42 AM   #5
LAFNATU
Account Suspended

I have the 350/700R4 combo in my 62 and i like it, the truck was an original 3 on the tree and the tranny has gkkd clearance, but the guy that installed it before i got it installed it too far forward, dont make the same mastake he did and pit it in the right location....
LAFNATU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:48 PM   #6
Philo Beddoe

Thanks for the advice... I'm sure glad to be here and finding the help I need to getting my 66 GMC on the right track. I plan on painting it the same as the truck used in Any Which Way You Can 1980.

She's in really good shape other than a few rust spots. I look forward to getting her mostly restored. I appreciate any input on the V8-700R4 swap. Any tricks of the trade, upgrade ideas, or especially DON'T DO'S are needed.

This is a photo of me last year... I'm 6'5" tall and I do this every year for Halloween. I figure I would drive around as Philo next year at a Harley Ralley with my best friend who looks exactly like a younger Orville Boggs. You know, looking for Black Widows...

PHILO BEDDOE
Attached Images

Philo Beddoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:06 AM   #7
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

IMO, turbo 350...cheap, (if it goes out on you, throw it away and get another from your local junkyard) and they're dependable.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:58 AM   #8
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/7387garage.htm
That link will help you with a lot of questions you may have on getting the 700R4 to work properly without a lot of hassle. There is a lot of good info on 73-87 Chevy trucks, too.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote