The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 11:40 AM   #1
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

Seatbelt Legality

So last month i loaded up the kids and wife into the cab of my truck to head down to the town "Fall Festival". For whatever reason, i was not wearing my seat belt. It's not common for me to not wear it, but, i didn't, and i got pulled over 3 blocks from my house (1 block from the event).

I was at a stop sign when the cop saw me, had my turn signal on, and all of my lights were working. I also was not playing with the air bags, and was at a reasonable ride height. Because of all of this, i was curious why the cop pulled me over.

When I asked, he said it was because i was not wearing my seat belt. Fair enough. So i told the cop that i was pretty sure that vehicles prior to 72 were not required to have seat belts since not all came with them from the factory. I also showed him that I had installed 3 point belts. His response was that if they were in the vehicle, that i must wear them. He also proceeded to say that my two small children could not share the lap belt.

Not to be a guy to argue with a cop, i didn't say anything else, accepted my ticket.... and went to court this morning.

I should add that the ticket he wrote me was for child restraint since i had my two kids sharing the lap belt.

So i walk into court this morning. The county i live in is small, so there were about 6 people there, and a judge. I was first, so i walked up to the judge and she asked how i wanted to plea. I told her that i wasn't sure, but that i was more confused than anything. I explained that I "was under the impression that you were not required to have seat belts in vehicles older than 1972" and that i had installed newer, safer belts, but did not have mine on.

Her response was "I was under the same impression." and she dismissed my ticket. She also said she drove a 64 bug that had no belts in it at all.

Funny thing is, while waiting for court, i asked my wife if we should just go and pay the ticket and skip court. Since i couldn't find any specific law on the internet granting exceptions to pre-72 vehicles, i didn't think i had a leg to stand on. That, and i didn't want to look like an idiot for having two kids in one seat belt. even I can see that's not the safest way to travel.

In the end, I saved myself $83.

Now i need to go find some bucket seats to prevent me from wanting to put all 4 of us in the truck.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:51 AM   #2
boundstaffpress
Jamie Hyneman is my twin

Re: Seatbelt Legality

Glad to hear you found an understanding judge. Makes all the difference.

I've been wanting to put in two lap belts for my kids instead of the one stock one. I'm not in a hurry since they still both use car seats, but there will be a time when they will be able to ride that way. I realize I will need some support around the new seatbelt bolt, but shouldn't be too hard.

SOLD 1967 K10 Fleetside, 283, Front and Rear Posi SOLD

Color Wiring Diagrams Now in High Resolution
V8 and Cab and Cab and Chassis
Old 10-02-2007, 01:15 PM   #3
Brock
upgrading to an older model

Glad to hear you kept up the fight.

Lets say you ONLY had the lap belt and you had that on...could a cop pull you over for not having your belt on since he couldn't see the shoulder strap? Sounds to me like that would be a little harrassment.

I'm kinda eat-up so I'm putting the JDM racing seats in my truck, I'm also planning on installing 4 point racing harnesses. These are not DOT approved...ya think I'll get a ticket? If they are safe enough for me to go around a dirt track at 60+MPH they oughta be safe enough for me to run to the grocery!!!
Old 10-02-2007, 01:25 PM   #4
moose83772

i was told by a california highway patrol that if it came with belts from the factory then they are required. what seems weird is that all tho you had the 3 pt belts in the truck who is to say that you didnt also have the factory lap belts in the truck. i keep just the lap belts in mine and they cant say anything to me about it. you cant see lap belts from outside the truck. but im in a different relm here. im not sure how they frase it but in colorado you cant get pulled over for not wearing your seat belt. you can get a ticket for not wearing one if you are pulled over for another reason.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:30 PM   #5
Lated

I've been told the no belts in pre-72 vehicles is truck specific. If I remember correctly, cars were pre-67. They can't ticket you for not having them but they can ticket you for not wearing them if you do have em.

'70 SWB Step-Side (More rust than metal)
Old 10-02-2007, 01:26 PM   #6
70GMCer

Belts are for safety, and I agree with that. What I don't agree on is someone telling me I have to wear them. IMO, it is just a government money maker. Glad you did win out.

1965 Mustang
Old 10-02-2007, 01:56 PM   #7
special-K
Special Order

I don`t see why we are required to wear lap belts when they proved to be inadequate.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 10-02-2007, 02:37 PM   #8
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Read a story about a guy in his "older" vehicle who got stopped by a cop, supposedly for not wearing a seat belt. The cop proceeded to try and pull him out of his vehicle but couldn't because of the lap belt. Seems the cop didn't think he (the driver) had a seatbelt on because the cop couldn't see it.

When I was "gainfully employed" at my previous pre-retirement "America's Largest Aluminum Company", one of the gimmicks to encourage people to wear seat belts would be to hand out "silver" dollars during the week preceeding Memorial Day. When I reached the gate, I was greeted, but got no dollar. I had to insist that my truck had seat belts and that I was wearing it (which I was) to get my dollar. Some people just don't think....

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.

Last edited by ChevLoRay; 10-02-2007 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:17 PM   #9
herb101
Used Register

My wife just picked up a ticket today for no seatbelt. She was in her Jeep, so it's much newer than 72, but she said the ticket had several diiferent distinction about the lack of safety restraint; no seat belt, no shoulder belt and several others. I have yet to see the ticket, so I can't quote it directly. Here in Texas, seatbelt violation used to be a secondary offense and you could not be pulled over for just that. Some other just cause was needed and if you were pulled over for say, wreckless driving, you could also be given a ticket for no belt. That has since changed and belt violations are a primary offense and a HUGE 'Click-it or Ticket' campaign is going on again this year for some shiney new Mopar police cruisers.

BTW - her's was $140 violation and the only offense.

Herb
Old 10-02-2007, 05:07 PM   #10
AH619

what ticks me off is here in ar. they can make me wear a seat belt. but i can ride my harley to hell and back with no helmet and they just wave.
copper / white 4 inch lift. FINALLY DONE / SOLD
72 4WD SWB CHEYENNE BLUE/WHITE 388 AUTO

REMEMBER THE COPS NEVER THINK ITS AS FUNNY AS YOU DO. NORWOOD SURVIVOR
COPPERTONE BUILD THREAD/ http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259856
Old 10-02-2007, 05:13 PM   #11
OldschoolJay

what year were belts put in these great trucks? my 5 5pontiac didn't have any and my 50 dodge doesn't either. not sure if my belts int he 70 are original or not?
1974 toyota corolla
Old 10-02-2007, 05:24 PM   #12
MyakkaJeff

AH619- I bet you don't have mufflers on that Harley either, but try to drive around in your truck without mufflers and see what happens!!!
'68 C10 lwb fleetside (17 yr old son's ongoing project)
'03 HUMMER H2 (wife's)
'06 3500 flatbed liftgate (My work truck)
Old 10-02-2007, 05:32 PM   #13
AH619

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyakkaJeff View Post
AH619- I bet you don't have mufflers on that Harley either, but try to drive around in your truck without mufflers and see what happens!!!
your right. i live in the country and took my truck up the road the first time with open headers. 1 mile turned around and went home. (never got above 30 mph) and never even got on it. within 5 min of pullin it in my shop there was a county in my driveway...
copper / white 4 inch lift. FINALLY DONE / SOLD
72 4WD SWB CHEYENNE BLUE/WHITE 388 AUTO

REMEMBER THE COPS NEVER THINK ITS AS FUNNY AS YOU DO. NORWOOD SURVIVOR
COPPERTONE BUILD THREAD/ http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259856
Old 10-02-2007, 06:36 PM   #14
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I consider a seatbelt fine a small price to pay for my individual freedom.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
Old 10-02-2007, 07:12 PM   #15
SactoJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I consider a seatbelt fine a small price to pay for my individual freedom.....

LockDoc
The price of freedom is sure the hell gettin more expensive!......and for that matter more restrictive!

Yeah Yeah....I know...this is still the best country in the whole dang world!
- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
Old 10-02-2007, 07:22 PM   #16
ChaseDale3and8

I've said all along that these seat belt laws are just another way for the government to interfere and tell us all how to live our lives. Same goes for the helmet and drunk driving laws. How many of the politicians that pass these laws actually live by them? I've seen on the news plenty of times where some politician was arrested for drunk driving for example.

Saw a story a while back where a state trooper was driving a Suburban while hauling some politician around and ended up running off the road and hitting a tree. The occupants weren't wearing their belts except for the driver if I remember right. This made national news because it was a fatality accident. Funny thing about it was the trooper that was driving was distracted because he was talking on a cell phone while driving and they said it was the reason that he wrecked. Cell phone laws will be next. Some of you may remember this news story from earlier this year better than I do.

My point is this: we are supposed to be living in a country of freedom of choice. When you start looking around, and watch the evening news, you begin to realize that we really aren't so free. We have government legislation on just about every aspect of our lives telling us what we HAVE to do or we end up paying THEM money in fines. If there's not a law already on the books for something these elected officials of ours are working on one, trying to gain even more control over all of us.

I agree with what has been said above. It's just another way for them to generate more revenue so that they can get their hands on and waste even more of our hard earned money and it really burns me up.

My personal feeling is that it should be up to the individual on whether or not they want to wear a seatbelt or even a helmet if they ride a motorcycle. We don't need the government telling us what to do. You take a chance either way with seatbelts.

I have seen people get killed even while wearing one. Seen people survive while not wearing one. I was in a rollover wreck back in Aug of 1990. If I'd been wearing a seatbelt, I wouldn't be here typing this right now. The seatbelt law for trucks wasn't on the books here at that time, just for cars. I made a choice that night, and by not wearing my belt, I survived. Could have easily gone the other way but it didn't.

Nowadays as if the seatbelt laws aren't enough most insurance companies won't pay on a wreck if they find out that you weren't wearing a seatbelt. Just another way for the little guy like us to get screwed, and the government lets it happen.

My wife works in the medical field. When we first started dating I never would wear my seatbelt. I just never liked the confined, strapped down feeling that I had while wearing one. She on the other hand, is a seatbelt advocate, and nagged me to death until I finally started wearing one regularly. I've gotten used to the idea of wearing one for the last few years now, but I sure as hell don't need the government telling me that I have to, or else I'm getting pulled over and ticketed whether or not my vehicle originally came with belts. It's just a form of communism in my opinion, plain and simple.

We have enough government in our lives as it is. We are all grown and are capable of making our own decisions concerning our daily lives by now I would think. The fact that a cop can pull you over just because he doesn't see that shoulder harness is just another way to harass anyone they see fit, at any time they see fit. It really burns me up! Sorry for taking up so much space for ranting about this. I'm glad that you beat that trumped up ticket! Can't change the laws, but maybe they can be beat at their own game once in a while! ...Joe
Old 10-02-2007, 05:27 PM   #17
SactoJim

I personally despise these types of "big brother" laws! Helmet, seatbelt, and more recently, these stupid cell phone laws (which goes into effect next summer in this lovely state).

OH.....and don't get me going on the automated photo enforcement crap!

On the outside they "feel good", but on the inside they are nothing more than revenue generators. I know it's a good idea to wear your seatbelt in a vehicle and have a helmet on when on a motorcycle...let me make that decision and have a clause in my insurance that stipulates that my bodily injuries won't be covered if something happens and I'm not wearing my belt or helmet. I think these laws should be in effect for minors because many times they don't get the option to choose.

Haven't had any kind of ticket for like 15 years and got a seatbelt violation a few months back....$75 (1st violation and goes up after that)...BASTARDS!
- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
Old 10-02-2007, 07:26 PM   #18
MyakkaJeff

Darn right this is the best country in the whole dang world! Your local law enforcement is trying to do us a favor. Your insurance company would much rather pay to repair your front end and a few bruises than pay for your front end and your whole family splattered against the windshield. Maybe we should have different insurance rates for seatbelt wearers and non-wearers. Then we'll see about the small price for freedom!!!
'03 HUMMER H2 (wife's)
Old 10-02-2007, 07:41 PM   #19
Brock
upgrading to an older model

I agree on the seatbelt laws being an invasion. Basically the only person your gonna be hurting is yourself by not wearing your belt. HOWEVER, the cell phone thing and drunk driving can cause accidents that hurt/kill innocent people. I teach middle school and one day the discussion came up of eventually getting a driver's license and how they thought the laws are too strict. I expressed my opinion that I don't want 16 year-olds that THINK they know how to drive talking on the cell phone while they run over or hit someone. The cellphone/radio are distractions that can end up in an accident. I saw one report that kids now are even texting while driving...heck I don't even know how to do that sitting in my recliner with phone in hand and following the phones manual!!!

OK off my soap-box now. did I mention I'm not a fan of cell phones?
Old 10-02-2007, 07:52 PM   #20
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Brock....I drive a school bus and do tranfers to/from our middle school. There are cell phones out the wazoo all over the bus. Grade school kids have them.
My opinion as it relates to the attitudes of middle-school kids (6th/7th) is that it's cellphones and hormones that they are after.

Texting while driving is normal behavior. I see people texting, putting on makeup, reading and so forth, all while behind the wheel of moving vehicles. It makes me glad to be in a school bus. I even had some woman call our P.D. because she said I was intimidating other drivers. He told me I was bigger that the cars and don't worry about it. I don't and I won't. Intimidate? You betcha. The little lady has to pick up one or two who only live three blocks from school, while I'm on my way to get 60. If you block my access, I will intimidate you. In fact, I get paid to do just that.

But, we have one driver who is a retired teacher, who just bought a Gold Wing (6-cyl) and rides w/o a helmet. As bus drivers, we just turn our backs on our problems.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:50 PM   #21
ofnaman

I believe if it's against the law or not you should alway's wear a seat belt. In high school I lost a really good friend all because his seatbelt wasn't on. He would have walked away without a scratch, but he chose not to wear a seatbelt and ended up putting his steering wheel through his heart. Seat belt laws are not there to make the government money, they are there because some people are too proud to wear them and end up getting more injured in wrecks than if they would have had they been wearing them, and in turn non seat belt wearer's cost us who do wear them more money for insurance. But, this is just my opinion.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:54 PM   #22
MyakkaJeff

Let's all decide to not wear seatbelts and see what your next auto insurance bill is. Come on Guys, It's not a matter of freedom it's a matter of MONEY!!! If money is not a problem then don't wear your seatbelt, but don't make me pay for it.
'03 HUMMER H2 (wife's)
Old 10-02-2007, 08:13 PM   #23
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyakkaJeff View Post
Let's all decide to not wear seatbelts and see what your next auto insurance bill is. Come on Guys, It's not a matter of freedom it's a matter of MONEY!!! If money is not a problem then don't wear your seatbelt, but don't make me pay for it.
OK, I won't wear mine. I don't care who has to pay for it..... Look how many people drive without insurance and the ones that have it have to pay for the uninsured & underinsured. My mom always pulled her seatbelt over and sat on it.... cracked me up!!!..

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
Old 10-02-2007, 08:41 PM   #24
ChaseDale3and8

I agree that if everyone is required to wear seatbelts by law then the insurance companies should have to give you a break for abiding by the law by wearing them. I always wondered why seatbelts were never required in school buses now that it has been brought up? Any other type of vehicle and you are required to wear them. Doesn't make sense.

The point that I was trying to make up above about the drunk driving laws is that it's okay for the politicians to make these laws but not have to abide by them like the rest of us. The drunk driving laws definately have a place being on the books to protect people from hurting themselves or others. Personally, I have driven under the influence many times back in my wild single days. I'll bet that I'm not the only one here that has ever done it either. It's a stupid thing to do, and something that I choose not to do anymore.

I don't see how people can drive and text on cell phones while driving either. It's hard enough to drive and talk on one at the same time. That's why I said the cell phone laws will be next. ...Joe
Old 10-02-2007, 09:12 PM   #25
Lated

I agree that seatbelt and helmet laws are an invasion of choice. Cellphone and drunk driving laws on the other hand are not. I'd like to invoke my right to choose not to be hit by a distracted/drunk driver and give 'em a ticket if there caught doing it. I don't think the penalties for drunk driving are strict enough. IMO if you get caught driving drunk you should loose your license. I have a good friend whos brother was killed by a guy that had just gotten his license back the day before after it had been suspended for five years for multiple DUIs. He was out celebrating getting his license back and was plastered.

'70 SWB Step-Side (More rust than metal)
Closed Thread