The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2007, 07:59 PM   #1
Yankeelights

Need more heat

Northwestern PA winters are cold and I need more heat. Aside from possibly having critters taking up residence in the heater core box and restricting air flow with a nest, I'm wondering if my hose configuration is keeping the heat from the cab.

Right now, one hose goes from the intake to the heater core; the other hose is connected to the right side of the radiator.

Would I get more heat by moving the hose from the radiator to the water pump port?

~ Dave
Yankeelights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:01 PM   #2
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

Re: Need more heat

go with a bigger thermostat, if you are running a 160, go to a 180, if running a 180 go to a 210... that always allows more heat in

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:14 PM   #3
beaterC10

You might also try pulling the heater box off from inside the cab and take a look at the flapper doors. I froze all last winter in my truck.

This summer I pulled the heater box to replace the leaky core and found a broken plastic connector on one of the heater doors that prevented correct airflow. I replaced it and now the heater works like a champ. I didn't take any pictures, but it is painfully obvious when the box is removed. I found a replacement for the broken plastic part at the dealer for a few $.

My truck has the heater is connected to the radiator and the water pump.

Last edited by beaterC10; 10-21-2007 at 08:15 PM.
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:18 PM   #4
Yankeelights

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaterC10 View Post
You might also try pulling the heater box off from inside the cab and take a look at the flapper doors. I froze all last winter in my truck.

This summer I pulled the heater box to replace the leaky core and found a broken plastic connector on one of the heater doors that prevented correct airflow. I replaced it and now the heater works like a champ. I didn't take any pictures, but it is painfully obvious when the box is removed. I found a replacement for the broken plastic part at the dealer for a few $.

My truck has the heater is connected to the radiator and the water pump.
Thanks for the tip. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to pull the core but I guess I gotta.

~ Dave
Old 10-21-2007, 08:15 PM   #5
Yankeelights

If I use higher than 180 the ol' 406 runs too hot.

I still wonder if my hoses are correct.

~ Dave
Old 10-21-2007, 10:16 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

test the door on the panel and make sure its working you should be able to hear it closing when it seals

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:32 AM   #7
Pyrotechnic

When exactly should those doors pull shut or be open ? Just wondering so when I get my A/C going again I can make sure they work when they should.

Last edited by Pyrotechnic; 10-22-2007 at 03:32 AM.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:58 AM   #8
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

The hose routing is correct. The return is to the radiator. The supply is from the intake. Yea wierd but that is how my truck has the hoses routed.
gchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:00 AM   #9
Ivan D.
glamoros piece o' lowlife

Do a reverese-flow heater core flush, there may be some deposits in there that prevent coolant flow that you can possibly dislodge and blow out through what is normally yer supply port.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:38 PM   #10
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

Something else you can do as well is get a piece of cardboard big enough to block off the lower half of the radiator and place it directly in front of the radiator thus cutting its cooling capabilites in half.
overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade
BLE 'BURBAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:22 PM   #11
Ivan D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLE 'BURBAN View Post
Something else you can do as well is get a piece of cardboard big enough to block off the lower half of the radiator and place it directly in front of the radiator thus cutting its cooling capabilites in half.
Not a good idea in his case, he said that even going up in thermostat range causes him to overheat, blocking half the radiator will have the same effect, if not worse.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:05 PM   #12
Yankeelights

I think I'm going to try several of these suggestions ... winter is coming up faster here. It was near 80 today, but will be in the 30s by the weekend!

Thanks, I'll keep ya'll posted!

~ Dave
Old 10-25-2007, 12:07 AM   #13
lurch115

you'll laugh but i had the same issue in my 4x4 and once while i had the dash pad off i turned the key on and cranked the fan up all the way...ran it in every setting and when i hit "vent" i coughed out alarge "hair ball" (sound deading mat) and ever since then my heater works great....another thing you can try is taking your glove box out and looking ontop of the heater box. there should be a couple of cables going to some linkage....move the heater control from hot to cold and see that they are moving all the way....or look under the hood and make sure that you even have vacuum to the going to the heater controls. thats a pretty common problem

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you carry the wall with you."
'84 chevy half ton short box 2wd, 67,000 actual miles
'03 chevy 1500 HD crew cab 4x4 standard box, 6.0L
lurch115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:21 PM   #14
Yankeelights

Got more heat. Removed the core box; no blockages, all flaps work. Re-routed the 3/4" heater core hose from the return on the radiator to the port on the water pump; other end to the large core connection. The other hose stayed on the intake port. I have no idea why this gives me more heat. Better coolant flow through the core?
Old 11-06-2007, 08:29 PM   #15
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

I got better heat now also. I flushed the system and installed a new thermostat. The water temp gauge will actually come up now. My smaller hose (5/8?) is going to the intake and the larger (3/4?) one to the radiator.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:30 AM   #16
Ivan D.

well I managed to blow my 10-month-old heater core Friday evening, was on my way to look at some V6 Ranger to buy for a DD and I just had to "race" the chick with a Mustang that happened to be driving next to me, got up to 4k and when I shifted into 2nd I could smell coolant in the cab, sure enough by the time I find a place to pull over there was a lil puddle on the floorboard - bypassed the core, said screw it with the Ranger, headed to feed my friend's cats, stopped by AutoZone and picked up a new core for free (still under warranty), got home and installed it in less than an hour! This time I put back the restrictor washer I removed some time ago, should keep the darn thing from ballooning under high rpms.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:50 AM   #17
randyjohn

i'm having a similar problem myself. with the truck warmed up, i turn the fan above medium otherwise the heater seems to use the heat up after 10-15 seconds and then blows nothing but cold. would changing to a higher thermostat fix this. my water gauge doesn't go over a 1/4 with my heater on.

don't mean to hijack.

'74 GMC 3/4 TON 2WD LB
randyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:40 AM   #18
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeelights View Post
Northwestern PA winters are cold and I need more heat. Aside from possibly having critters taking up residence in the heater core box and restricting air flow with a nest, I'm wondering if my hose configuration is keeping the heat from the cab.

Right now, one hose goes from the intake to the heater core; the other hose is connected to the right side of the radiator.

Would I get more heat by moving the hose from the radiator to the water pump port?

~ Dave

No, the principal is to route heated water from the head to the heater core and then return it to a LOW pressure area for a proper flow through your heater. To improveon this, havce you thought about putting in a new heater core. You may have some restriciton inside it and your could be only using a small part of the core to transfer heat to the cab. How big is your radiator? If it is a heavy duty radiator, then it is probably keeping your engine cooler than what youwant in your area during the winter. What temperature is your T/stat? You can run a hotter T/stat to keep the motor warmer, than what you are now, but be careful ---there is a fine line here, when it gets worm again. An engine flush may be needed to get all of the heat transfer you can get to the coolant. Sludge will hamper the heating of the water and also keep the engine running hotter than it needs to.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote