The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2007, 04:54 PM   #1
bent
The master of disaster

72 GMC Progress****UPDATED PIC'S****

As you all know I am building on a budget, but I am getting it built. I told you guys I'd show the truck to you as I get things done so here is the partially new interior NOT YET CLEANED. I know things are sliow but since I got the truck home i have 1.Put my tires and wheels on it. 2 Added a new hood and doors. 3. Added door panels window cranks and door handels. As well as added a better looking seat not yet cleaned. Swept the inside and wiped it down a bit. 4 Tinkered with the engine just to find out that its shot and lastly installed a new radiator. I have a toatle of 232.00 in this truck and that includes what I gave for it. So here is a before and after shot of the interior.

Next I will see about getting This seat and doors and such cleaned up and also get an ignition switch installed. I know where one is and i'm sure the boss will sell it to me. And Then i will sand and primer the dash. I know some of you are asking why work on the looks of the truck when you need n engine simple. A. I managed to get 12 cans of primer fo 12.00 off a buddy of mine and B. This part is free and I am slowly saving up for a new 327 Chevy.

Life is like a jar of japalino's what you do today will burn youre a$$ tomorrow!

Last edited by bent; 11-16-2007 at 11:34 PM.
bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:06 PM   #2
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Re: 72 GMC Progress

I was expecting to see the Christmas tree balls hanging from the headliner!
Looks good to me, work on it anyway you can. (That’s what really matters.)
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:35 PM   #3
bent
The master of disaster

No Xmas balls lol imma have to incorperate that into thaa name i guess lol.

Any how after washing all the grease rags and shop towles i managed to get the windows cleaned and a portion of the seat and this is where i need help. AGAIN

Im not sure but i think the blk part of the seat is vynal and other is obviously cloth, any how I was wondeing if you knew a good way to clean it and i aint gonna car wash it. I used some soap and a scrubb brush earlier on the vynal and it just didnt work its still foggy looking The blk dinge aint gommin off much (on the grey part that is). So any ideas.

GMC= Got More Class!.....gonna have to remember that one.

Life is like a jar of japalino's what you do today will burn youre a$$ tomorrow!
Old 10-30-2007, 12:55 AM   #4
'68 C-20

Might have to use some kind of a vinyl restorer on the black parts, it is probably vinyl, The seat looks like it is in pretty good shape. I used a product called nu-vinyl on an interior on a mustang that I used to have. It was heat weathered. The product is made for Vinyl tops it worked as well as anything else I have seen. Also I had a friend who used to do auto-detailing. He used to tell me that they would sometimes take the cover off of the seat and clean it by scrubbing with a carpet shampoo and rinsing by pouring hot water through the seat covering from the back side. Do it at your own risk!
’26 Ford Model T
‘72 Triumph Spitfire 1500
'09 "The Briggs Flyer" Gettin' High.

Last edited by '68 C-20; 10-30-2007 at 12:56 AM.
'68 C-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:35 AM   #5
wibilly

try a carpet and furniture steam cleaner. any pics of the exterior? and as said before any progress is good progressi jumped all around on my build too using the parts i could find/ afford at any givin time to stay at it . thats what keeps you motivated
Old 10-30-2007, 02:02 AM   #6
xshadow

I've never used it on an auto seat, but you may want to try some oxyclean. I used it on carpet and it seemed to work prettty good
xshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:26 AM   #7
72armyswbtruck

Why not a car wash, I went there high pressure washed the heck out of it and then used the scrub brush at the car wash came out looking like new just make sure that you pull the seat out afterwords and let it dry
Old 10-30-2007, 12:49 PM   #8
bent
The master of disaster

68c20 any ideas where to get the nu vynle i havent ever seen that around here befor. As far as pulling the sat cover i wont bedoing that that exceeds my knoledge and thats the last thing i wanna o is mess something up from lack of knoledge.

wibilly as far as the carpet clener i dont have one i will try some rug doctor and a brush and let you know what happens.

72armyswbtruck I will not ever take anopther seat to a car wash I did that back a few years ago with a buddys truck and lets just say i wound up going in half with him ln a new seat.

wibilly as per ur request

Will have more at a later time bout to go get started again.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:59 PM   #9
bent
The master of disaster

Welp cleaned the windows and started primering the dash what i got dun looks good but now i need another wire brush im taking it down to bare metal. I did some rugdoctor cleaning on the seat and the cloyth part does in deed look a bit better.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:29 PM   #10
'68 C-20

Nu-Vinyl is available here: http://www.autobarn.net/nufinish.html , but you might try your local Autozone, Wallyworld or Advanced Auto Parts, it might be cheaper. The stuff I used came in an orange bottle, no pump spray, this is a pump spray, but their other products seem to be in keeping with the packaging I remember. It seems to be the same stuff.

As for removing the seat covers, they are not too hard, they are held in place with little hog rings. Pull your seat out, you should anyway to see what the floor looks like under it. Only 4 bolts hold the seat in. Turn it over and you should see little rings that hold the material cover onto the seat frame. I have not had mine apart yet (in this truck), so if anyone else with more info has any thoughts, feel free to hop in here!
’26 Ford Model T

Last edited by '68 C-20; 10-30-2007 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Spelling.....
Old 10-30-2007, 07:24 PM   #11
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

"progress is progress" looks like you are making forward progress at least.Do what you can afford and save for the next part.
Oh that first quote came out wrong.It used to be "parts is parts'

Chicken commercial.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:53 PM   #12
'68 C-20

"Progress is Progress" "Parts is Parts" sometimes "Parts is Progress" and ""Progress is Parts"! :-)
’26 Ford Model T

Last edited by '68 C-20; 10-30-2007 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:02 AM   #13
bent
The master of disaster

c20 but i do appreciate the heads up on the cleaner. If you look at the pics that I posted you will see it is a different seat in there the floor is emaculent everywhere exceptfor the drivers side its rotted a bit there and 1 little spot on passenger side front has surface rust.

I did a bit of work on the doors in a aera that didnt look right and found a big a$$ rusted out hole through and through, on the bottom right of drivers door. So thats 3 rusted out aeras that the body shop will have to fix. Thats right body shop I am gonna take it down to Auto Masters there in seven points after i recover from the engine cost and have it dun right. I have seen tons of their work at local aera racetracks mostly thunderbird speedway and if they do that kinda work on race cars I can trust them with , need a name for this old truck, any how I will continue to keep you guys updated.

I know yall will be asking so here

Last edited by bent; 10-31-2007 at 12:10 AM. Reason: added pic
Old 11-01-2007, 09:30 PM   #14
'68 C-20

Nuthin' wrong with goin' to a body shop. Whatever it takes to get the job done and done right.

It is a wise thing to stay within your abilities, lots of folks have messed up a potentially good project by doing work they did not know how to do.

Of course it is also good to live at the edge of your comfort zone so you learn a little more every day!

I'll bet you can handle getting the fabric off of those seats just fine!
’26 Ford Model T
Old 11-05-2007, 09:55 PM   #15
bent
The master of disaster

Ok guys lil niece is here usally means i dont get alot dun but as you all know i thought i needed a new engine how ever I did some tweeking and tuning. I gave the old girl a dose of medication disel motor oil and unleded mix, and dumped that dow her throat and let that sink in for three days. well today i did some wireing on the old gal and she purred like a kitten and sounded great but it does have a knock when i idel up to i would say about 8 grand. I also did some wiring on it and found that the headlights and cargo lights need some work as well as some under hood wireing is a mess there. I also manage to get the right side dash stripped down to bare metal and primered including glove box tried to get the ignition in and i ran outta day light and gas.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:26 AM   #16
68 P.O.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent View Post
it does have a knock when i idel up to i would say about 8 grand.
What engine do you have in your truck? I haven't messed w/ the I/V-6's but the V-8's aren't meant to rev up to 8G's...5500 max. So if you can even get it to 8G's, that's your knock right there.

Last edited by 68 P.O.S.; 11-06-2007 at 08:27 AM.
68 P.O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:44 AM   #17
Cyclone44
Step Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
What engine do you have in your truck? I haven't messed w/ the I/V-6's but the V-8's aren't meant to rev up to 8G's...5500 max. So if you can even get it to 8G's, that's your knock right there.
Well bent it's my turn...Well Duh 8 grand it should knock like crazy
Cyclone44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:56 PM   #18
bent
The master of disaster

will have pics tomorrow

Old 11-06-2007, 09:06 AM   #19
danny's 72 superchey
Danny's 72 superchey

Bent, scotch guard apolstry cleaner works great on cloth seats. It comes in a spray can, and you spray it on, and then wait, scrub it in with a damp rag. Then i use a soft bristle scrub brush, wait til it dries, and vaccum the seat, and presto, new looking seat. danny
danny's 72 superchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:50 AM   #20
bent
The master of disaster

ok then it was a 4 g rev hell i dunno i just revved it ither way it doesnt matter if you rev to 4 or what ever the point in the matter is when i rev it up it has a light knock

Danny thank you i will give that a shot on the cloth parts of the seat.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:19 AM   #21
bent
The master of disaster

Re: 72 GMC Progress UPDATE

here is my newly primered dash enjoy. Hope to have the other half dun and have it sprayed by next thursday still need second coat of primer on the other aroud the glove box dorr thats y it looks to be off. I went down to bare metal then primed then sanded then primed again.

Last edited by bent; 11-11-2007 at 12:21 AM. Reason: added to it
Old 11-11-2007, 07:38 AM   #22
68 P.O.S.

Lookin' guud.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:57 PM   #23
bent
The master of disaster

thanks pos ill see if i cant get some more pics tomorrow. Lil brother is getting me a set of DOT approved hoosier tires and a better carb so hopefully with that and a few more gallons of gas ill be good to go but who knows right.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:59 PM   #24
bent
The master of disaster

any ideas what that white film is at the bottom of the window it aint overspray from my primer job its like it is in the window insted of on it.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:17 AM   #25
bent
The master of disaster

Well i managed to get alot dun this past weekend I finnished primering the dash did some engine compartment wiring with the wiring harness from the 79 yes i did some cuttin and splicing and taping and rerouting, and I installed the ignition switch that the boss gave me witch i might add dont work but its there incase i get stopped. I also installed a after market racing style starter/kill switch in place of the factory push button starter.

I also got new tires put on my old rims and got a new carburator put on the truck I will have you guys some more pictures no later than wednesday night. I have not yet gotten to the seats again but hopefully soon I will be able to.

Also I spent 4.00 for a 72 gmc gas cap that dont fit right iit wont even go in the hole. So I took it back along with the one that came off the truck and he said it is for a 68 chevy it doesn't fit any better than the one that was on it, it will go on and fint in the opening but it wobbles it aint tight.

Last edited by bent; 11-15-2007 at 03:37 AM. Reason: added to post and did spelling