The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2007, 01:48 AM   #1
crawdad

Setting up for towing

I am wanting to set up the '86 LWB I recently acquired for towing. The RPO sheet wasn't on the truck, so I'm not sure what the gears are in the rearend. It has the original 305 CID engine, 700R4 tranny. GVWR for the truck is a little over 6000 lbs. if I remember correctly. I would like to get your ideas on modifications, if any, I might consider making in order to make it a reliable tower. Most of the time I'll be using it to tow my car trailer (hopefully with more 73-87 trucks on it , and every once in a while I'll be pulling the travel trailer down to the coast. It weights around 6-7000 lbs. I am fully aware that I shouldn't over gross the truck, so without getting into all of the warnings about over grossing the vehicle, what would you recommend doing to the truck. Thanks.

2012 Silverado LT 1500, 5.3, 6 speed auto
'86 SWB C-10 Silverado
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:42 AM   #2
Mickey_D
Dirteh Kitteh

Re: Setting up for towing

So long as the trailer is loaded evenly, the only things to make sure of are that the brakes are as good as you can make them and that a good external auxiliary tranny cooler are installed.

Oh, and good load rated tires are a must.

If the truck was originally rated for 6,000 and you're towing close to that amount, the truck really shouldn't need any modifications to do it. Bu to add longevity I'd go with the tranny cooler and remember to always tow in D, not OD.

1955 Willys CJ-5 all original and the oldest CJ-5 on the road.
2001 Dodge Neon (wife's car)
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Edition SOLD
1981 K15 Custom Deluxe 4X4, rusty but trusty wood hauler. SOLD
1993 S-10 4X4 Tahoe SOLD

RIP ESLL
Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:58 AM   #3
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Lightbulb Re: Setting up for towing

Mickey D allready mentioned all the really important stuff.

Here's a few others never tow with a bumper mounted tow ball allways use a frame mounted class III 2" hitch receiver, That will handle the 6000 lb's you are going to be pulling.

Also get a good quality electric brake controller i assume your travle trailer is equipt with ele. brakes and if the car trailer isn't you may want to install them.

I use to have a Tekonsha Prodigy it's just about a 100 bux but it's a really good unit.

Other than run rated tires and keep them filled to the proper pressure i use Nitrogen in all my vehicles tires for more stable running temp's.

There's also trailer maintenance to consider too if you haven't done it in awhile you should pull every wheel and visually inspect all the brakes mechanical and electric components and grease the bearings and inspect the axles check all wiring and lights for proper function check the hitch toung and lubricate it check the safety chains and make sure the trailer tag is current and secure.

Thats about it.

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:35 AM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I use my trucks for hauling heavy loads which in my opinion is alot like setting it up for towing. In addition i do tow sometimes usually a 20' boat
first off what i do is I make sure that i have a class 3 Reese Hitch
the rear springs are the 8 leaf pack, and i use good gas shocks on the back( and front) usually KYB
I have always been told that the th400 trans is the best for towing but the 700R4 isnt so bad either. Make sure you keep it out of overdrive when under heavy load
I always add a heavy duty trans cooler to the cooling system for towing
I also make sure my brakes are in proper working order with plenty of meat left on the pads/shoes and im a pain in the butt about making sure my lights are all in good working order and make sure you have road flares or those triangles if you should break down while towing
i make sure my tires are good and also make sure you inspect and keep maintained the front end.. the more weight on theback the less is on the front and that makes the truck steer different and all
make sure you inspect trailer bearings and carry a grease gun to make sure they are well lubed
Make sure your electric brake is working and in good shape and make sure you carry spares for your trailer and truck as well as a jack to left them properly

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:11 AM   #5
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

i would go with the class 3 hitch,,better to tis than to load the class 2 to its weight limit..brake booster is the best way to go, and make sure you get the stabalizer hitch for the travel trailer, they are not cheap, but well worth the money.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:01 PM   #6
crawdad

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm putting on a DrawTite class IV hitch. I already had it from a previous truck. The Prodigy brake controller and transmission cooler I will have to order. Are all of the tranny coolers about the same or do any you have any favorites that are known to work well? Again, I appreciate your advice.

2012 Silverado LT 1500, 5.3, 6 speed auto
'86 SWB C-10 Silverado
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:06 PM   #7
Ivan D.
glamoros piece o' lowlife

for best efficiency you want the stacked-plate tranny cooler (so similar to the engine's radiator), and not the ones that look like a tube snaking through a bunch of fins. Get the biggest one you can find or that can fit where you plan on installing it.