The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2007, 11:15 AM   #1
teeitup
Just like to part out trucks!!

How long do you WAIT???

OK guys I've got some delima's here. You all know I part out trucks in my spare time and sell them on here. Anyway I've got guys that say they want parts I send them pm's and they say they are sending money but sometimes it never comes, I pm them and they do not reply. I got some parts I've been waiting on the guy to get back with me for a month, he said it would be a couple weeks then and I haven't heard back from him. I got another guy that wanted some other parts and its been 2 weeks and nothing from him. Now I know money is tight nowadays and I try to work wiht everyone. I'm trying not to complain but I just wonder what the board thinks I should do and how long the wait I should have. Now if the member is in constant contact with me I understand and work with him. I personally think if you speak up for parts you ought to stay in touch with the seller. Sorry for the rant, it just gets frustrating sometimes. Thanks Randy
1958 Cameo (one of 1405 built, it was my dads)
2020 chevy Apex 4x4 crew cab
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS
1976 K20, sold new originally out of my dads chevy dealership

Members that I've met, over 200 probably closer to 300 in the 12 years I've been on this site, everyone I met "It was a pleasure"
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:23 AM   #2
kwmech

Re: How long do you WAIT???

Without any communication, first come first serve. AND I save the messages and PMs if I thing there will be future problems till things are solved.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:30 AM   #3
zeeklu

I would say 2 weeks is more than fair. Longer if its agreed to up front with a set date not an around date. Chris
zeeklu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:28 AM   #4
jaros44sr

Randy, I thought the normal waiting time was 1 week, maybe 2 in a special circumstance. After that you aren't under any commitment, move on the next buyer. Sorry if it seems harsh, but I thought that was the way it went.

Man I hope its not me, I would look like a total arse

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:31 AM   #5
Jerry Jones
Happy Camper

I would tend to agree with jaros44sr.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:55 AM   #6
toomanytoyz
Luv the Crewcabs

I would agree with most , 2 Weeks is more than Fair.............

Maybe you just need to add that to your Signature Line in BIG Bold"RED LETTERING", That would Cover you to Go to next in Line after the Set Time.............

I for one Appreciate the Service that you Provide for us, Your Price is very reasonabe & You are a Very Professional Seller & Attribute to the Board.........

We are Lucky That you Truly Enjoy this as a Hobby, As sometime's it is a Thankless Job........

Thank You, Rick
67 Fleet
68 Wrecker
68 Suburban
76 Crewcab
79 Gmc Dumptruck
84 Blazer
86 Crewcab Stepside
87 Iroc
89 GMC Plow Truck
91 Camaro Vert
96 Z71 Stepsde
toomanytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:40 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytoyz View Post
I would agree with most , 2 Weeks is more than Fair.............

Maybe you just need to add that to your Signature Line in BIG Bold"RED LETTERING", That would Cover you to Go to next in Line after the Set Time.............

I for one Appreciate the Service that you Provide for us, Your Price is very reasonabe & You are a Very Professional Seller & Attribute to the Board.........

We are Lucky That you Truly Enjoy this as a Hobby, As sometime's it is a Thankless Job........

Thank You, Rick
"Next is line" isn't fair to the guy that already had that position in line & wasn't wasting Randy's time.

The suggestion is a good one though. Let all potential buyers know that if a transaction is not complete within X amount of days (& there is no communication for different arrangements), that person is bumped to the back of the line.

If a guy wants something, they'll do something about it. If the time isn't right for them, there's no reason you should have to wait to sell the item to whoever wants/needs it.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:03 PM   #8
mikeoj

My opinion.You don't get no communication from them for two days.Move on.There isn't anyting they can't get at another time!..........You Asked.....
mikeoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:10 PM   #9
franks72

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoj View Post
My opinion.You don't get no communication from them for two days.Move on.There isn't anyting they can't get at another time!..........You Asked.....
I agree

69 Camaro RS http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/fdelcoglin/

email fdelcoglin@hotmail.com
franks72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:07 PM   #10
twotrucks

From my limited experience selling parts is that if they really want something, then the money will be there in a week. I have had several board members tell me money is on the way and I even tried meeting a member once - no show. I'll wait a week at most then move on.
twotrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:18 PM   #11
corn

If it is dragging on more than a week or so, there better be good communication along with it. If not, the guy changed his mind...
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:22 PM   #12
streetstar

agree---- if the parts are that important - the folks should be keeping you up to date.
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:54 PM   #13
Andy4639
Old member

Ask yourself how long would a company keep a part for you if they don't get paid or hear from you in a week?
I know you feel like this should be handled diferant than a company but hey...sometimes you got to do what has to be done.
If it's over two weeks and no word from the buyer sale it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:30 PM   #14
Infanti
www.infantimachine.com

Cummunication is the key.Be upfront with what you expect from them how long you are willing to wait.if i don't hear from you within such and such time...If they really want it they will keep in touch.
Infanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:43 PM   #15
uncle

I don't mind giving time or extra time,JUST RESPOND or say you can't or don't want it. BE HONEST!
uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:10 PM   #16
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

I used to own and operate a parts supply business and before any new or used parts were put aside a deposit was required and when the order was ready to be shipped it had to be paid in full. [No if's or but's.] A side from this it was just a nice conversation and I was not accountable. There are a lot of people who price shop and have walked across the street and bought just to save a dime and I don't mean a dollar. You are probably getting priced shopped to some degree even though it is sounding like a sale to you.

One week is enough time to put a money order in the mail, make it very clear that after this if you don't see the green ..... well were all big boys we know how the story goes.

esll.

This truck has just the right amount of energy for me!

Author: Warren Lake .... (member)

Last edited by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE; 11-13-2007 at 03:13 PM.
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:46 PM   #17
shifty
Questionable

I go first come first served.

I can't tell you how many people have contacted me about my great OEM 3spd column and steering wheel, and my muncie 3spd and fell short. I really want to get rid of em, too Some of the people live less than 45 minutes away. I've probably watched ~10 people fall of the face of the planet totally when it comes to communicating.

Crappy part is, I really want to buy some front end parts from another board member, and all of these people leaving me hanging are preventing me from making the money I need to buy a front clip.

I would start using a standard disclaimer: "I'll hold parts for 14 days from the time you commit to purchase. If I don't receive payment within 14 days and you don't contact me to explain why, I'm selling to the next person in line."

That should be motivation enough. If not, then the person probably didn't have the money or didn't want it bad enough.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:08 PM   #18
brianthelion02
Overdrive club

Seems like i made ya wait two weeks and felt bad about that!!!!!!!!A month is out of the question!!!!!!!!!!

1951 3100 chevy

1970 chevy c-30 Sold!
brianthelion02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:19 PM   #19
teeitup
Just like to part out trucks!!

THANKS for the input guys!!!!!!! I do wait for everyone, I try to give everyone a chance to get their funds lined up. I have in the past and will in the future. I hold parts for guys telling them not to worry about paying till they come get their parts. I've did and am doing payment programs. I was just curious if I was doing the right thing with members. As long as the members PM me and let me know what is going on and still want part I try to deal with them. Communication is basically what I would like. I really don't like holding parts and not hear from the buyer for 2 weeks or more. Heck I got a blazer top sitting here a member bought 3 years ago, I'm still waiting on him to come pick it up. Its paid for, and after 3 years I'm not responsible for it. If a member does find a better deal I wish they would just PM and let me know. Its costing me money if I hold and parts that could be sold to someone else.
Brian, it wasn't you, you and I had several pm's back and forth, I was never worried about you
Thanks Randy
1958 Cameo (one of 1405 built, it was my dads)
2020 chevy Apex 4x4 crew cab
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS
1976 K20, sold new originally out of my dads chevy dealership

Members that I've met, over 200 probably closer to 300 in the 12 years I've been on this site, everyone I met "It was a pleasure"
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:42 PM   #20
brianthelion02
Overdrive club

3 years OMFG!!!!!!!!!! You are too nice Randy!!!!!!!!!!!!

1951 3100 chevy

1970 chevy c-30 Sold!
brianthelion02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:16 PM   #21
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking Re: How long do you WAIT???

A week may not be long enough to wait for a payment. If you have been told the money is coming then I would wait longer. It may just be my location, (in Michigan) but I have seen the mail take well over a week from California and the North East.

Like the other guys said, communication is very important!

Jim
1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote