The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2007, 08:31 PM   #1
JVictor75
Maintenance Man

Question Tech advice needed for serpentine brackets and 700R4 install

The thread formerly known as

"Should I move this to the tech board?"

Hello (again)

Need advice on installation of 1989 Camaro style serpentine system onto a 71 small block equipped truck with A/C and power steering.

The serpentine system came with the reverse-flow water pump (new), the itty bitty A/C compressor (versus the ginormous one that was stock in the truck), the 1 wire alternator, the power steering pump, and all the various and sundry bolts, bracing brackets and studs needed for installation.

My question is, will I have any problems using the stock Camaro stuff (A/C compressor and PS pump) on the truck?

Will the power steering pump be strong enough for the truck, and how hard will it be to wire the compressor up so I can use it with the stock truck A/C system?

Also, I'm going to ask (again, sorry everybody, but I didn't get a definitive answer last time ) about lock-up wiring for a 700R4 going to the same truck.

Truck currently has a slightly warmed over 350 small block with an Edelbrock performer intake and carb, as well as HEI, power steering (see above), power brakes, and A/C. The truck was originally fitted with a TH350.

I know about moving the crossmember back to the last two holes for the TH400 position and drilling new ones for the back half, as well as the TV adjustment( I don't know how to DO it, but I know it needs to be done ), the likely probability that I'll need a new speedo cable, and the driveshaft shortening.

I'm specifically looking for answer on the questions regarding the serpentine components and the tranny lockup.

Thanks in advance, you guys rock (as always)

- James

Last edited by JVictor75; 11-16-2007 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Title change
JVictor75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:45 PM   #2
s95930
A-Adam A-Adam

Re: Should I move this to the tech board?

Don't have the answer.

But, I am interested in the answer.

So here is a Bump to the top.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:21 PM   #3
DavesRide

I take it by the backwards flow coolant and tiny compressor you have a LT-1 Gen IV camaro set up. I can make up a bunch of ideas and most are custom as needed. Look into the Street Rod parts. Many are made up of the same ideas. The power steering hose might need to be custom made easily at a parts store for way cheaper than a "custom" shop. As far as ac system. The same applies. You will only get a blank expression from a "parts store people" unless they are into custom ideas. Don't let one person get you down. Also I might add, don't let one person try to take your hard earned cash for the wrong parts. Don't get me wrong, I love to see custom and I even love more the finished ones with good stories. David

Last edited by DavesRide; 11-16-2007 at 09:26 PM.
DavesRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:38 PM   #4
JVictor75
Maintenance Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesRide View Post
I take it by the backwards flow coolant and tiny compressor you have a LT-1 Gen IV camaro set up. I can make up a bunch of ideas and most are custom as needed. Look into the Street Rod parts. Many are made up of the same ideas. The power steering hose might need to be custom made easily at a parts store for way cheaper than a "cusom" shop. As far as ac system. The same applies. You will only get a blank expression from a "parts store people" unless they are into custom ideas. Don't let one person get you down. Also I might add, don't let one person try to take your hard earned cash for the wrong parts. Don't get me wrong, I love to see custom and I even love more the finished ones with good stories. David
I appreciate that David.

I'm not sure, but I think that the 89 Camaro had a Gen II small block, so I already know that I might be drilling and heli-coiling the drivers side head to mount the bracket to my Gen I small block. (I don't have the truck nearby and it's killing me that I can't "just go look", lol).

What I meant by the reverse flow was that with a serp system, the water pump actually rotates the opposite way from a V-Belt (stock) system. Water flows the same way thru the block, radiator, etc.

I'm just wondering if the Camaro power steering pump is gonna work with the truck steering box. I know that I'll probably have to make new lines for the setup. And I'll probably end up spending a "Donkey" load of money at the speed shop in the process, whoo-hoo , especially considering braided steel lines and AN fittings are kinda like Ruffles potato chips. (You can't have just one!)

I just don't want the poor little steering pump to go kablooie next to my shiny new polished aluminum oil pan, wrapped headers, and freshly painted block. Know what I'm saying?

I've seen this done in the past, I just can not for the life of me remember where.

And I know the compressor will work, heck it's the same compressor more or less that comes with the "Vintage Air" system! I just need to know if anyone has figured out how to wire the compressor up to the stock A/C wiring harness.

Maybe when I get done, if I document everything appropriately I'll post it as a FAQ. I dunno. Also it will probably depend on IF I get it done without murdering anyone. (kidding, kinda)
JVictor75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 10:00 PM   #5
DavesRide

I was trying but you are way ahead anyway. The reverse flow thing is the more modern stuff. I guess I blocked out the F-body stuff as it always hurt my back to lean over to work on when the C's and K's (trucks) were up at my physical level to work on. I am serious about the street rod ideas. Buy a magazine and see. I have found some very cool ideas. The rest might just get answered here or by process and elimination. Any way Bump, David