The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2002, 01:51 AM   #1
Reumster
L.E.D. Freak

ABS on our trucks? How hard/$

How hard would it be to put ABS on our trucks? I've seen a inline type advertized but I don't see how it would work.
(406)675-8082
or Joel @ jmcwaters@eps-corp.net

1972 2wd Blazer, 350/700R4/3:73 posi, err & Custom L.E.D. inserts! LOL
Reumster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 02:03 AM   #2
Zkast
Account Suspended

I can be done with enough fabricating and wiring using a GM truck ABS unit. I dont know if there are any aftermarket units availble or not.

IMHO it wouldn't be worth the time/effor/money involved.
Zkast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 07:26 AM   #3
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

I agree with Zkast. I believe that it would use up the better part of $2000 by the time you got a rear end, module, valving, wiring , etc. just for converting the back brakes. I can't imagine what converting the fronts too would cost. A good driver can stop as fast without locking up the wheels according to an article some time back in one of the automotive magazines.

With as much snow and ice that we get in Michigan, we still have rear end crashes with cars equipped with ABS. I think their main value is in a greater ability to steer the car when braking on a slick surface but for normal driving it seems to be a very expensive option.

As they say, my $.02.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 10:00 AM   #4
Canada20

my .02

I'd been wondering about this as a swap too and why we don't see it in every magazine story out there. I agree that good drivers can stop without locking up the wheels and when I have driven ABS cars I've not been all that impressed. But I think in a truck, the rear wheel ABS might have some use; the available braking traction at the rear changes a lot in trucks depending on whether they're loaded or unloaded or towing or whatever. Having rear brakes that won't lock up when the truck is empty on a rainy street and can still allow more braking force when loaded down sound like a pretty good idea to me.

Though I did read one webpage of a L'il Red Express owner who did hook up an adjustable proportioning valve and ran the lines to under the seat in the cab so he could reach down and adjust the rear brakes while on the go. Don't know if that brings up safety issues but it has to be cheaper....

Greg
Old 10-09-2002, 11:10 AM   #5
Mike C

JC WHitney used to offer a mechanical anti-lock setup that you just plumbed in-line at the master cylinder. Seems perfect for the rear on our trucks. I have contemplated it. It ws around $300 I think. I haven't seen it in awhile, so I don't know if it is still available or not.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 12:01 PM   #6
StingRay

That mechanical setup just acts as a shock absorber to the brake system so to speak. It does not offer true anti-lock capabilities. A good driver in ideal conditions can actually outbrake an ABS equipped vehicle. I have had ABS before and the thing I alway tell people is that ABS will stop you in very nearly the shortest distance you can while not locking up the wheels so that you can maintain control. NO TRACTION ..... NO STOP. The cheapest and most reliable thing you can do is get very good tires designed for your driving conditions. As for the adjustable proportioning valve I like it and have been thinking of doing that very thing myself. Some trucks I have seen actually have them from the factory attached to the rear suspension and increase rear brake pressure as the back end of the truck comes down under heavy load and decreases it likewise as the load is removed and the back end comes back up again.

Last edited by StingRay; 10-09-2002 at 11:08 PM.
StingRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 10:58 PM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

ABS has kept me out of one minor fender bender...but has put my hide in danger many many times.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 11:10 PM   #8
Benrs86

i hope you dont mind sort of OT in this post, but my dad was driving down a gravel road today, and i was walking to meet him, and he was screwin around and mashed down the emergency brake on his 97 dodge 3/4 ton. now the ABS light is on and the emergency brake light is on??? everything feels right? what did he do? what a loser? lol thanks, Ben
3 on the tree
350 engine 4 bolt main
rv cam
AIM = Alphray04
Benrs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 10:36 AM   #9
Reumster
L.E.D. Freak

So anyone seen electric ABS on our trucks? I think that know matter what the ABS wouldn't hurt. Yes a good driver can never be replaced, but you and I both know that in panic situations ABS can come in handy.
(406)675-8082
or Joel @ jmcwaters@eps-corp.net

1972 2wd Blazer, 350/700R4/3:73 posi, err & Custom L.E.D. inserts! LOL
Reumster is offline   Reply With Quote