The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2007, 09:17 PM   #1
72steel

Front end question for 59 Apache

I just bought a 59 apache and it is in great shape. I want to update the front end to something new. I do not like the way it drives with the ORIGINAL front end and leaf springs. What kind of front end can be put on to have a smoother ride and better steering. Also, on my way driving it home last night, the brake pedal became almost impossible to push down and hardly budged with alot of pressure from my foot. What happened? it was fine for the first 25 miles then it happened and was hard to stop. Any input would be great. This truck is awesome but I want it to have a smoother ride.

Last edited by 72steel; 11-22-2007 at 09:18 PM.
72steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 10:53 PM   #2
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

Re: Front end question for 59 Apache

Welcome to another 4 lighter

A quick search thru the posts will find a variety of updates for the front end. Guys have used camaro front clips or updated with a new cross member and rack and pinion. Lots of different brands as well.

Brakes could be a few different problems. Does the truck have original brakes or have they been updated? Problems could be from flex lines breaking down or even a faulty master.

Brian ...

ps we like pictures

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 03:58 PM   #3
72steel

Thanks for the input. After I posted, I did the search for the front ends. I just wanted to know a specific front end that I could use. The brakes have been replaced and are not original but they are still drums. The rear end is off a Nova, i think. The front end is original. The entire truck was redone but the guy kept alot of the original parts. The frame is in great shape and the interior has been customized to include electric seats and windows. I will be posting pics this week sometime. We plan on getting it repainted, I dont know what this guy was thinking when he painted it but it will be changed. Currently it is 2 tone Red and gold/bronze. I am not a fan of it. We are looking to go bright Yellow.

As far as the problem with the brakes, do you think a vaccum hose slipped off for the power brakes? I haven't gotten around to looking at it yet. The guy I bought it off of said that could be what happened. I did hear a swoosh sound right when they started to act up.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:41 PM   #4
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

The sound could be from a vacuum leak. Where is the master cylinder under the cab or is it firewall mounted? Check the hose from the power brake booster. Usually runs to the base of the carb at the rear.
Yellow is a good colour for a 59 by the way.

Brian ...
Attached Images

Brian ......

My hub garage address
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited
Old 11-24-2007, 07:33 PM   #5
72steel

well, we worked on the truck after stuffing our faces full of turkey instead of napping. we checked the master cylinder vaccum hose for leaks. The master cylinder is firewall mounted. we couldnt find the leak there but maybe we overlooked something? when we pulled the plug out of the master cylinder and put our finger over the hose, the breaks worked ok. But when I put it back in, its the same old story and now the truck stalls out when I push the brake pedal down??? We couldnt find any leaky hoses anywhere. I have no idea what it could be. the truck idles great, I am aware that I need to replace the carburator. The engine is a 1978 350. The carburator definately needs replaced. The steering box looks to have been fabricated by someone and seems shaky. When I turn the wheel, the whole steering box seems loose (like moving around as if bolts loose) but I tried to tighten the bolts and they wouldnt budge. i decided to go with the Mustang II IFS System to replace the whole deal. When I replace the carb, I plan on getting a hi-rise manifold for it.

My main concern is why I can't find the vaccum leak?? Or if by hitting the brakes and the truck stalls, what can that be?

That color yellow is exactly what we are going for, what is it called? Also, if I get the Mustang II, will I need need to get new wheels, I currently have 6 bolt. I am obviously new to truck restoration and have many questions that some may seem dumb but I gotta learn somewhere.

Thanks for your input and the pics are coming, It was nasty, cold and rainy today and pics wouldn't do it any justice. I spend alot of time inspecting underneath the truck today and am very please at what I saw. I have a great truck with a solid frame, all new wiring and generally really clean except for the front end.

Last edited by 72steel; 11-24-2007 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:48 AM   #6
orgalmeister

Sounds like a bad brake booster. Go to www.mpbrakes.com and look up the trouble shooting guide. If you go MM11 you will go to 5 lug wheels unless you get the discs custom bored for 6 lug. You stated you thought the truck had a Nova rearend that is a 5 lug...if you got 6 then I'm guessing you still have the truck rear.
orgalmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:15 AM   #7
72steel

thanks, do you think the brake booster is related to the truck stalling when I press the brake pedal?

also, the rear is 6 lug, what do i need to do to make the rear a 5 lug?

also, where can i get wheels like the photo shown above? I am going for the same exact look.

eric

Last edited by 72steel; 11-25-2007 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:07 PM   #8
orgalmeister

It very could be related...Vacuum issues.

If your going with a MM11 then "I" would change the rear also. Better ratios, disc brakes... many choices here so search around.

The wheels on Brian's/entourgeguy are Chevy/Corvette rally wheels available from various sources...Wheel Vintiques is one.
orgalmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:23 PM   #9
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

I would imagine if the diaphram is broken inside the booster when you put on the brakes it creates a huge vacuum leak.
Brian ...

Brian ......

My hub garage address
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited
Old 11-26-2007, 11:34 AM   #10
Daniel U

I agree with Brian. The vacuum leak is related to the truck stalling. If you're going to replace the front end, replace the master cylinder and booster as well. I always go for saftey before performance. With the Must.II front end get the Chevy 5 lug disc and look for a GM rear with disc. Probably somthing 80's and newer. I have a 10 bolt out of an 87 F body (Camaro/Firebird) with 3:73 ratio. Good luck and post pics soon! Daniel U
Mom's 1954 (TBI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10) 5 Chevrolet window 3/4 ton long bed Pick up
build thread ->http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=228674
My 1954 (TPI 5.7/700R4/10 bolt 3:73) Chevrolet 5 window 1/2 ton short bed Pick up
build thread->http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...3&goto=newpost
1960 (400/T350/?) Apache 10 short/fleet side-big window
1973 (TPI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10 w DANA 60 front) Chevrolet Cheyenne 4X4
2013 (Vortec 5.3/6-speed 6L90 automatic) Sierra LT CREW CAB
Doing my part to warm the globe
Daniel U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:49 PM   #11
Atomsplitter

I got these centre caps with my truck.
Attached Images

Atomsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:12 AM   #12
tiggerstoy
tiggerstoy

thats one sweet ride, i like the way your going on it, and it will look great yellow.
tiggerstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:25 PM   #13
b.sharp

The caps on his truck are for the car rally's you have 4x4 truck rally's you can use the bolt on covers for the rear that have a chevy emblem and can be bought from LMC or any chevy aftermarket place. They take three bolts to hold them on. Looks good. I wish I could start mine up and drive it. It's also a '58 swb fleetside apache.
b.sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:48 AM   #14
72steel

Well, finally finished the hi rise manifold and holley carb, I had to make some other adjustments and we fired her right up and runs great. We tightened the bolts to the steering column to get me by until the Mustang II shows up. We went for a ride and it was smoooooth. Then, when we got home.....psssssssssss! the damn radiator sprung a nasty leak in the top left. Now I have to replace it. It is too far gone. I have found a brand new one as low as $239 in the LMC catalog. Does anyone know of another source with a better price. Also, the gas pedal seems to be too close to the firewall, when I depress the pedal, I only get 2/3 of output. Is there an aftermarket pedal that is shaped so I can actually get full acceleration? Or will I have to fabricate it myself. Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 12-04-2007, 02:52 PM   #15
CAL 58 GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72steel View Post
Well, finally finished the hi rise manifold and holley carb, I had to make some other adjustments and we fired her right up and runs great. We tightened the bolts to the steering column to get me by until the Mustang II shows up. We went for a ride and it was smoooooth. Then, when we got home.....psssssssssss! the damn radiator sprung a nasty leak in the top left. Now I have to replace it. It is too far gone. I have found a brand new one as low as $239 in the LMC catalog. Does anyone know of another source with a better price. Also, the gas pedal seems to be too close to the firewall, when I depress the pedal, I only get 2/3 of output. Is there an aftermarket pedal that is shaped so I can actually get full acceleration? Or will I have to fabricate it myself. Has anyone else had this problem?
Hey 72steel, I don't thank your going to find a radiator much cheaper then from LMC. I bought mine from them and it works great. It runs around 200° during the summer when it was 110° out side with just water and no coolant. Make sure to get the heavy duty one.

Last edited by CAL 58 GMC; 12-04-2007 at 02:52 PM.
CAL 58 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:37 PM   #16
Daniel U

70's, not mine though. Just snapped a quick pic for a photo shop request.
Mom's 1954 (TBI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10) 5 Chevrolet window 3/4 ton long bed Pick up
My 1954 (TPI 5.7/700R4/10 bolt 3:73) Chevrolet 5 window 1/2 ton short bed Pick up
Old 12-08-2007, 05:19 PM   #17
72steel

my Mustang II front end came today with the Chrome Steering column and steering wheel from Ididit. I am so pumped to get this installed. Don;t worry, guys, I will have pictures.

Has anyone had any unforseen issues arrise while installing a new mustang II front end into a 59? or is it pretty much smooth sailing...
Old 12-09-2007, 05:51 PM   #18
55dude

dude! we are excited as you to see your truck with the new front end installed. plus the chrome column also.
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 04:39 PM   #19
72steel

She's ALmost Done....59 APache.

Well, its been a long, hard battle and she is almost done. With some help from some friends and mr. cash, the Apache is almost finished. She went to paint yesterday and just a few tweeks to the interior and it is DONE....for now.

The whole front end replaced with the mustang II IFS, new chrome steering column, steering wheel, put in brand new radiator, the edelbrock hi-rise manifold, new Holley Carbs, Headers and 3" straight pipes running out the side with the holes cut out, body completely redone, new dual master cylindar, carpet, firewall padding, seatbelts, new vent window seals, weatherstrips, new engine mounts, custom tailgate, seams filled in the fleetside above the bullets, and a bada$$ paintjob from Bruce at Pro-Comp in Pittsburgh, the color is black base with silver spray overtop to look like a cross between gun metal and bare metal. sick. Photos coming soon.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:58 PM   #20
Daniel U

Re: She's ALmost Done....59 APache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72steel View Post
Well, its been a long, hard battle and she is almost done. With some help from some friends and mr. cash, the Apache is almost finished. She went to paint yesterday and just a few tweeks to the interior and it is DONE....for now. The whole front end replaced with the mustang II IFS, new chrome steering column, steering wheel, put in brand new radiator, the edelbrock hi-rise manifold, new Holley Carbs, Headers and 3" straight pipes running out the side with the holes cut out, body completely redone, new dual master cylindar, carpet, firewall padding, seatbelts, new vent window seals, weatherstrips, new engine mounts, custom tailgate, seams filled in the fleetside above the bullets, and a bada$$ paintjob from Bruce at Pro-Comp in Pittsburgh, the color is black base with silver spray overtop to look like a cross between gun metal and bare metal. sick. Photos coming soon.
What a teaser!
Old 05-12-2008, 02:12 AM   #21
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

We're waiting for the updates

Brian ......

My hub garage address
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited
Old 05-15-2008, 09:28 PM   #22
72steel

Re: She's ALmost Done....59 APache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel U View Post
What a teaser!
Yeah, sorry fellas, I should be getting it back early next week from the paintshop, it got bumped back a few days. I got all new rubber, too. Thick whitewalls, I am going to have to drop the suspension in the back the rake is waaaay to high....almost ridicuilous. That will be done early probably over the weekend. I cant wait to cruise!!! I am gonna stop by there tomorrow to take some pics after the clear coat dries. This thing is gonna rumble...
Old 05-18-2008, 12:34 AM   #23
72steel

After putting on the tires, I wont have to do anything to the rear end. It looks mean and should be fired up on Tuesday and bringing her home Wednesday. I took some pics but they were from inside the paint boot and I couldnt get a good view...not much room. Anyway, the paint job is phenominal and looks like bare metal. there are about 4 different shades of silver flakes on it with a couple coats of matte clear coat. All that is left is the carpet and vent window seals. Then I take it home and finish the interior myself.