The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2007, 04:01 PM   #1
kecah04

Oil Stick Problem

I just purchased an 84 Custom Deluxe 10 that has a 305 that is not original. The most concerning problem is that the Oil Stick tube has been removed. My urgent need is to replace it, however, it appears that someone may have taken a chisel and messed the hole up a bit. I'm thinking that the only way to fix this is to Drill it out, then vacuum the shavings out, then rinse it out with something, then change the oil right away. If anyone has any other ideas, I would greatly appreciate them.

Last edited by kecah04; 12-10-2007 at 04:02 PM.
kecah04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:43 PM   #2
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Re: Oil Stick Problem

Go to your local mower shop and get a chain saw chain file (round fine rat-tail file) and take your time at it, Using a file will only create metal dust instead of metal chips as a drill bit would. When finished spray carb & choke cleaner through the hole (fast evaporation) then drop the oil.

On Edit;

Put a pair of vise grips on the shank of the file so it wouldn't drop through the hole should your hand slip.
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!

Last edited by Restrorob; 12-10-2007 at 05:35 PM.
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:25 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

the tube should just sit in there would an easy out take out the old tube? otherwise the file idea sounds pretty good id be real careful doing anything that could leave metal chips in there

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:38 PM   #4
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Just replaced mine!

The tube broke off right at the hole, I used an easy out and it worked just fine.

CAUTION: When using an easy out "DO NOT" tap hard!!! You do not want to drive the broken piece down further into the hole. Should come out very easy. Tap in new one using small open end wrench to rest on the ridge of the tube and tap on wrench lightly. If there is no access for this method you will have to tap from the top of the tube. Be very carefull not to tap too hard.

You are likely seeing the broken end of the tube and the hole is fine or someone has been trying to remove the broken tube end using a screw driver.

esll.

This truck has just the right amount of energy for me!

Author: Warren Lake .... (member)

Last edited by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE; 12-10-2007 at 05:42 PM.
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:06 AM   #5
chev74
Addicted to Chevy

DONT replace with the chrome ones you get at AutoZone or places like that. I bought one for my dad's crate motor and it just doesnt fit right. It was loose and flops around a bit
chev74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:48 AM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

maybe to make it fall in easier use a touch of grease on it

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
Old 12-11-2007, 10:10 AM   #7
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I would defintiely try the "Easy Out" first, then I would look at using a hard metal hook to try to slide down through the middle an dPULL out the remaining piece of the tube. I dislike the idea of filing and getting debris into the crankcase, but if all else fails, that would be the last resort.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:31 PM   #8
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

I tried a coat hanger with a hook on one end that I made before I went to the easy out .... you will not believe how tight this broken piece is wedged in. The easy out worked great. Like I posted previously [DO NOT TAP TOO HARD] when using the easy out as you want to avoid pushing the broken piece further inward and wedging it in tighter.

esll.

Last edited by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE; 12-11-2007 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:42 PM   #9
kecah04

Thank you everyone for your ideas. I still have the original tube and stick. I have no idea why it got pulled out in the first place or how the hole got damaged. Thanks again.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:20 AM   #10
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kecah04 View Post
Thank you everyone for your ideas. I still have the original tube and stick. I have no idea why it got pulled out in the first place or how the hole got damaged. Thanks again.

Can you post a picture of this tube that has pulled out? I get the impression from this post that it is not damaged but came out in one piece. Is this correct? The advice that you are getting here is how to remove a broken tube. Is your's broken? The surface that you refer to as being damaged gets that way from someone trying to bur the hole to make it so a tube will not pull out. Some after market tubes are of poor quality and are too small in circumference. Can you reinstall your tube if this is the case or does it just spin free once in the hole.

esll.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:43 AM   #11
kecah04

No, I can't post a pic because all of our cameras are down for the count. The old stick seems to be in perfect condition other than being a little ugly. There is a new aftermarket dipstick in the cab. It appears to be a bit larger diameter than the original one. I'll bet the guy wanted a nice shinny chrome one on his oily dirty engine and tried to make the hole a little bigger. I used a chisel to get the hole back to original, but it's now quite smooth enough. Granted, it's very hard to see. The original won't quite go in.

Last edited by kecah04; 12-17-2007 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:25 PM   #12
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

well let us know how it works out for you

I hate cancer!!
Old 12-13-2007, 09:53 AM   #13
us111

hello,anytime i do anything like this that could
put metal or something in the motor i always
have someone running a shop vac hose next to where
i am working.helps alot.
us111 is offline   Reply With Quote