The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2007, 04:58 PM   #1
HotGMC

Question Help Pricing My truck, NOT trying to post for sale, I have buyers already.

Ok, so the thing is i have 2 people that want to look at my truck. I HAVE BUYERS not trying to sell on here. I have my truck up for 4800 for one buyer on craigslist.

But this is mostly for the other guy who is interested in my truck, he is stationed in iraq right now, and his grandfather is coming to look at it tomorrow. i had it on facebook for 4500, i would rather sell it to him for 300 less just because he is out protecting my freedom that i take for granted everyday. I want to put a good price out there, both for me and him.

there are a few things that i know will scare some people(not your guy though haha), and would make the try to lower the price.

i have a 72 GMC longbed. its all shaved(with the exception of the gas door, and drip rail).
Straight as an arrow body
355, mild cam, headers(shorty's), gutted exhaust, edelbrock valve covers, and intake mani, and a weber carb.

it has some buckets in there out of a 66 impala, newer carpet, and a newer steering wheel.

I just fixed the fanbelt, and put some new battery cables.

Its lowered on some 17" centerline wheels, with some Riken raptor tires. i think it rides pretty well. i honestly dont know how its lowered i bought it like that.

but this is what concerns me:
The floor is starting to rust out a little on the sides of the cab. the passenger side rocker panel is worse than the driver side. but the driver side hole in the floor is much worse than the passenger. Asfar as i can tell, it only goes back not that far, i looked underneath the truck and it looks ok.

Also i had another thread about my drip rail leaking, thats another problem i would have to address.
Pics:

here is the truck:

Again please do not cancel this thread, atleast for a day mabye. im not trying to sell it because as i said i already have buyers. i just dont want to rip the guy in iraq off, and also myself.

Ohh and i will become a contributing member as soon as i get my credit card in the mail *scouts honor* even though im once again NOT trying to sell on here.
HotGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:08 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: Help Pricing My truck, NOT trying to post for sale, I have buyers already.

to me it seems to have quite a few issues i would look at it as a $1500-$1800 beater
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:56 PM   #3
70cst

The rust would be an issue for some buyers. Mechanics is easier to fix than rust. JMHO

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:59 PM   #4
Tonka59

Im no expert but I don't see why it wouldnt go for 4,000+ the rust does not look that bad.
Tonka59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:22 PM   #5
action

I am probably a tight wad and don't want to put anyone down but I was thinking $2500.
Jack
action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:37 PM   #6
70cst

Another issue for some is it's been modified to the degree that it could not be easily put back to it's original condition. For others this would be no big deal. So for those who want close to original...they can be eliminated as perspective buyers. But if that is no big deal to the perspective buyers than I would say $2500-3000.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

Old 12-10-2007, 10:00 PM   #7
Solver

The way I look at it is a truck has to be worth as much at least as the sum of it's parts:
So lets look at this logically
These are just rough guesstimates and will vary from area to area(so don't flame me on prices)
So lets see what we have here starting from the front and going back
Grille assuming good shape -No pic 150
bumper painted 25
core support 75
Fenders $100 ea 200
Inner fenders 75
hood 50
cowl 10
antenna 10
Windshiield- assume no cracks 75
72 style doors assume no rust 300 pr
72 cab light rust +title 250
perfect long box 500
newer engine 800
tranny 150
wheels 300
tires 300
tilt 275
dashpad 50
dash bezel 20
Door panels and visors 50
carpet 60
frame- disk brake 200
booster prop valve 75
--------
Total on above parts $4000
Prices vary from area to area but the truck should bring at least what it can be torn down and sold for is my opinion.
I am sure I could even come up with more part dollars if I knew conditions and other options
Just my 2cents
  • 1972 Cheyenne Super 10 LWB-green
  • 1972 GMC 4x4 LWB-White
  • 1971 Cheyenne 10 LWB-Ochre
  • 1971 Cheyenne 20 Longhorn-Copper
  • 1971 Cheyenne 20 Longhorn-Black
  • 1969 Custom 10 LWB-lt blue
  • 1968 GMC 3/4 ton-green
  • 1968 1/2 ton swb stepside-silver
  • 1967 Chevrolet CST 10 LWB-green
  • 1967 Chevrolet custom 20 LWB-Maroon
Solver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:20 PM   #8
HotGMC

well thank you all for your opinions... even some i dont agree with(thanks cdown for the beater comment).

the rust is pretty much the only issue. this has been a daily driver for the last 5 months and has no given me any issues besides not starting one day(frayed better cable, that has since been replaced).

the body is extremely straight also.

Solver - were you giving me somewhat lowestimates on the parts, it seems i have seen alot of parts for more. mabye not, im still learning about these trucks.

if i do sell it, i have my eye on a (i think) '70 shortbed, but i dont know if the guy is willing to sell.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:46 PM   #9
70cst

HotGMC...it comes down to two things: 1) If the buyer is happy with the purchase price, 2) if the seller is happy with the selling price. No matter what we say...if your happy as a seller and the buyer is happy as the buyer...then all is well! My car is worth about $1000 as a driver but worth much more in parts...so if I was to sell my car would I sell it as a parts car or as a driver? That is what is great about this board. Many great ideas and opinions to choose from. Good luck on your sell and your possible purchase.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:03 PM   #10
chvtrkman

HotGMC,
It seems like you are truly wanting to sell your truck for a fair price, and also get what it is really worth to invest in your next truck. That being said, I'm guessing you want as many opinions as possible.

Ok, here's my 2 cents worth:

Your truck does look straight as an arrow, sheetmetal-wise, and you have some decent wheels/tires. The engine may or may not be desireable, depending on individual tastes.

One member, Solver thinks that by itemizing everything, and assigning each item its worth, you should be able to ask "the sum total worth of each part".

However, you do still have the mentioned rust issues. I put new floorboards in my truck 7 yrs ago, and it cost me start to finish about $ 200.00- $ 300.00.
.....and that was doing all the work myself. If the buyer of your truck takes it to a bodyshop to have it done what will it cost him?

Also, I find that fair market values on used vehicles vary with geographical location. It's very difficult to know what your truck is worth by just viewing the few photos you have posted. Some things that bother me, ( and this is just me, others may overlook these) there is no tailgate, the interior appears to be light blue,(dash and cab behind driver door) which doesn't match the black theme,(door panels, glovebox door, exterior),nor does the gray seat upulstory fit well with all the blue and black. There is no radio. Ashtray is black,( mis-matched to rest of dash?...or, purposely painted to match black glovebox door?). You state that it was lowered, but you don't know what the previous owner did. Did he torch the coils? This is important to ME, if I was interested in buying your truck. I hope you don't think I'm picking your truck apart, I'm not. I'm just trying to make an honest assessment of what you have.

Having said all this......it IS a nice looking, clean daily driver.
In my opinion, and I by NO means consider my opinion "expert", I would say your truck falls into the $ 3000- $ 3800 range. Hope this helps.
69 C-20 292, 4 spd O/D, 4:56 rears. No a/c p/s p/b p/w......restoration project,"Operation:Stovebolt"
78 C-10 305 TH350 new (old) daily driver
02 Suburban Z71 a.k.a. the family truckster
99 Silverado 1500 Z71
chvtrkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:52 PM   #11
HotGMC

I actually found a different truck hunting on craigslist today, a 72 CST still has factory radio,AC, and tach. only 1600 bucks. ohh original 396 big block too. im hoping to seize this opportunity
Old 12-10-2007, 11:17 PM   #12
HotGMC

chvtrkman: thank you for your honest opinion also. the truck actually DOES have a Cdplayer, but some dumb**** stole JUSTthe deck leaving me with a useless cd player with my favorite CD in it. the doors are painted black, just the panels were repainted to black from that original color.

i do not by any means think you were picking apart my truck, atleast you gave a detailed description explaining your answer.

the guy who wants to buy it is a mechanic in the army, so i dont think a lot of stuff would be hard for him. im thinking of ordering some floor pans since they are only about 50 bucks a piece. and including them into the sale. i have been looking for a decent tailgate since i have owned the truck with no luck.

Bottom line, i got taken for this truck when i bought it, i want to re-coup some of this money, but i also do not want to do that to someone else(especially when they know its waiting at home for them when the get back). im meeting with the guys grandfather on monday and hopefully i can make a deal. im going to try and get atleast 4k for it.

Im not going to be like the guy who sold it to me(who promised me a tailgate and posi rear-end and never came through and never answerted his phone). i want to keep in touch with this guy, see how his progress is going. I even told him when i was e-mailing him about LMCtruck.com, and this website. haha
Old 12-11-2007, 12:05 AM   #13
chvtrkman

HotGMC,

That stinks about your CD player getting stolen. Been there.....more than once, but had a AM/FM/cassette deck taken, along with about 30 tapes.
Then I replaced it and the new one was stolen about 6 months later!(this was back in the 80s)......I was really bummed!

And the P.O. who promised you a tailgate and a posi rear?..........well, we all know there's guys like that out there. I commend you for wanting to do the right thing.

Now that I've looked at your pics again, I see the blue theme carried over to the steering wheel also. I guess it's not so bad. Actually, I've got a bit of the two-tone thing going on myself....but it's not permanent. I'm trying to get the whole interior to be green/black. All the metal parts green, and all the vinyl/plastic pieces black.
Ran out of money before I could finish, so I have black a seat,door panels,armrests, sunvisors, and steering wheel, but the seatbelts and dashpad are still green.....and they are in very poor condition.It will have to wait til next spring.
69 C-20 292, 4 spd O/D, 4:56 rears. No a/c p/s p/b p/w......restoration project,"Operation:Stovebolt"
78 C-10 305 TH350 new (old) daily driver
02 Suburban Z71 a.k.a. the family truckster
99 Silverado 1500 Z71
chvtrkman is offline   Reply With Quote