The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2007, 12:03 PM   #1
nicktheknife

Exhaust Sputtering

Wondering if someone could help me out. When my engine is runing, I hear a sort of popping/hissing noise from the drivers side of the engine, more noticable at idle. Also when I let off the gas in gear the exhaust sputters, but it pulls strong on acceleration with no sputter at all, and I have noticed a little bit of white smoke coming from the exhaust intermittenly at idle. I have just replaced the distributor cap and rotor, plugs and wires, pcv valve, and thermostat from 195 to 180, and it didn't make this sound before that or blow white smoke, or maybe I just didn't notice. Any suggestions?
nicktheknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:16 PM   #2
69C10@16

Re: Exhaust Sputtering

I may be wrong but I think white smoke means oil burning in the chamber and expelling through the exhaust. So you might want to look at blow-by. Im probably going to get corrected later on but in the mean time this bumps you back up to the top of the thread list.
69C10@16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:05 PM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Usually oil burns a bluish color and water burns whitish or light gray. You could have a combination of both, and that may change the color. Condensation is probably most noticeable in the cooler months so it could be just that. Or bad gas.

It would be helpful if you told us what eninge, carb, and distributor you have. But, I'd start with the basics. Recheck all your steps and be sure and double check the timing and points setting. Also, maybe a defective plug, wire or dis cap.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:00 PM   #4
Huck

White smoke is typically water. If you are not loosing coolent, it may just be condensation--common in winter. Popping exhaust can be caused by an exhaust leak up around the manifold or pipe. What happens is it sucks in oxygen and then when it mixes with the hot exhaust, you hear the pops.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:21 PM   #5
chev74
Addicted to Chevy

the noise may be coming from an exhaust leak. do you have headers or manifolds?
chev74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:47 PM   #6
jhow66

Check to see if you have # 5 and 7 plugs wires crossed.
jhow66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 07:36 AM   #7
nicktheknife

I agree the white smoke is probably due to weather since it recently started to get cold, thats a relief. I have a 327 with an edelbrock carb and hooker competition headers. My distributor is an HEI ac delco. I replaced the cap and rotor but I used the same coil, it looks really old but at the time I didn't have the money for a new one. I did check the spark wires a few times and they are all correct. I hope its just a leak at the headers, it doesnt look too hard to change that gasket. I saw paper and copper header gaskets online, which is better? Any words of wisdom before I start that job? Thanks for all the help guys!
nicktheknife is offline   Reply With Quote