The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2007, 07:24 PM   #1
sorestgore
Official C-10 Destroyer

Farewell to Ol' Blue, and to this forum.

Well, it really is hard to do (I'm nearly in tears at this point), but I've made the decision to end this project.

I've come to realize that even if I find a great engine for cheap, it will be too expensive at this point in my life to put this truck back together and onto the road. I'm only 18. I only work part-time as a line-cook at Applebee's, making only $7 an hour. I went to college, only to be expelled about half-way through the first semester, so my opportunities for higher-paying jobs in the area I'd like (automotive tech) simply aren't available.

I took a beautiful, fun, strong-running, reliable truck and reduced it to a frame, a cab, a box, and assorted piles of parts that I just don't have the resources to put back together again.

The reason I decided to try to restore my truck was because of a error the DMV and police department made.

I had gone to court on November 2nd, 2006 for an OWI (Operating While Intoxicated) and managed to get my suspension dropped, because after I got my ticket in June, my parents had turned in my license and I didn't drive after that. So I had served my suspension before it was sentenced.

I got pulled over January 1st, 2007 for driving a vehicle with collector plates during that month. (You cannot drive a vehicle with collector plates during January, at least in Wisconsin) This was my fault. But because of some error in the court system, the DMV had mistakenly marked my right to operate a vehicle as suspended. So I was given my "Special Interests" ticket (collector plate in January) AND an Operation After Suspension

After that, I thought my license was actually revoked for driving while suspended, so I figured I might as well use the time that I cannot drive to "restore" my truck, and so the friday following the aforementioned incident, I began to tear my truck apart.

However, the next day, my mom had made many phone calls, chewed some people out, and uncovered the error they had made, so I again had a valid license. At this point, my truck was not drivable, so began driving my little Volkswagen. This car was pretty sporty, and I managed to get a speeding ticket shortly after this all happened.

IF THE DMV HAD THEIR **** TOGETHER, I WOULD'VE NEVER BEGAN TO TEAR MY TRUCK APART

I'm sorry if this all sounds like some kind of conspiracy against the DMV, and that I'm trying to shift the blame, but I really needed to get that off my chest.

After that, I'm going to start a new project, an old-school Mk1 Volkswagen GTi with a Mk4 TDI (diesel) engine swap.

Deceased:
1972 C10 Stepside, 350ci smallblock, Edelbrock 750 performer carb, Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold, DynaMax headers, Thrush glasspacks, flame-throwers!

Last edited by N2TRUX; 12-18-2007 at 04:29 PM.
sorestgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 07:34 PM   #2
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Re: Farewell to Ol' Blue, and to this forum.

You made one of the mistakes I'm sure most on here have at one point or another. You took the truck apart without really having a plan or resources to put to it back together. Ebay and swap meets are ALWAYS chock full of taken apart projects. Anybody can tear one down, but the putting back together part isn't so easy. Again I'm not bashing you, because I have done it myself when I was younger. I sold a '69 Firebird 400 in pieces about 10 years ago because of the same thing. Anyway, Gook luck, and I hope you end up with another truck down the road. I bought a '67 Firebird 400 a few years back to replace my long lost '69, so there's always other chances if you take advantage of the experience.
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 07:42 PM   #3
sorestgore
Official C-10 Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_C-30 View Post
You made one of the mistakes I'm sure most on here have at one point or another. You took the truck apart without really having a plan or resources to put to it back together. Ebay and swap meets are ALWAYS chock full of taken apart projects. Anybody can tear one down, but the putting back together part isn't so easy. Again I'm not bashing you, because I have done it myself when I was younger. I sold a '69 Firebird 400 in pieces about 10 years ago because of the same thing. Anyway, Gook luck, and I hope you end up with another truck down the road. I bought a '67 Firebird 400 a few years back to replace my long lost '69, so there's always other chances if you take advantage of the experience.
I plan to find another '72 Stepside down the road at some point, when I can afford another project.

Deceased:
1972 C10 Stepside, 350ci smallblock, Edelbrock 750 performer carb, Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold, DynaMax headers, Thrush glasspacks, flame-throwers!
sorestgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:36 PM   #4
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Good Grief! There's got to be a way...if you like your truck!
How far have you torn the bugger apart?
How far do you live from work?
Can you catch a lift for a while?
Is your only ready cash in the truck?

Maybe commute or find a cheap car and save your project
for when you can tinker with it.

PS--Would you be posting here on the board unless
you wanted to either sell or be talked out of selling?
jes my take....

Last edited by ETsC10; 12-15-2007 at 08:37 PM. Reason: .
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:11 PM   #5
b-rad
Account Suspended

(Operating While Intoxicated) I dont think thats there fault sorry i dont feel for know one that drinks and drives just lost a family member to a owi
b-rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:43 PM   #6
toomanytoyz
Luv the Crewcabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorestgore View Post
After that, I'm going to start a new project, an old-school Mk1 Volkswagen GTi with a Mk4 TDI (diesel) engine swap.
I Caution You to Not Start Down the Same Road again, Personally I Think you Need to Concentrate on Getting Your Life Back Together, Get Back in School & Get a Good Education so That You Can Someday Afford Project's such as you are Dreaming of...........

Not Trying To Be Mean, Would Just Like to Stop You From Making the Same Mistake's That I Did When I was Also Young, Dumb & Full of %*&$

Rick

PS

No Reason to Say Farewell to The Board, There Is a Ton of Wealth to Be Gained from Continuing to Stay Here
67 Fleet
68 Wrecker
68 Suburban
76 Crewcab
79 Gmc Dumptruck
84 Blazer
86 Crewcab Stepside
87 Iroc
89 GMC Plow Truck
91 Camaro Vert
96 Z71 Stepsde
toomanytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 10:39 PM   #7
OldCreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytoyz View Post
I Caution You to Not Start Down the Same Road again, Personally I Think you Need to Concentrate on Getting Your Life Back Together, Get Back in School & Get a Good Education so That You Can Someday Afford Project's such as you are Dreaming of...........

Not Trying To Be Mean, Would Just Like to Stop You From Making the Same Mistake's That I Did When I was Also Young, Dumb & Full of %*&$

Rick

PS

No Reason to Say Farewell to The Board, There Is a Ton of Wealth to Be Gained from Continuing to Stay Here
Fully agree with getting the life situated first!!!! Don't resign yourself to less than you want.

Besides, if this is the worst thing that ever happens to you... you're well ahead in the game.
1970 K3500 1ton CrewCab 8.1L/Allison1000/NP205 Dana 60/14B!!!! - Sold
1984 K10 SWB 7.4L/4L80e/NP208 Corp 10/12 bolt Sold
1988 V30 CCLB 7.4L/TH400/NP205/Dana 60/Dana 70/3.73!!! (Sold)
2003 K2500HD 8.1/Allison1000/NP263
OldCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:44 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

It`ll cost you $25 to join so you can list your parts then leave and start another project on a part-time job.Doesn`t sound like things are making any sense,yet.

How far was the truck torn down the day before your mom called around and varified you still had a lincense?Could you have made sure,first?I`m just questioning your thinking since you laid it all out for us to judge.
Good luck whatever you do.My advise is start thinking things through before making your move.You`ve given many examples of not doing that,especially OUI.They`re called consequences and there`s one for everything you do.They can be good or bad,that`s often your call.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:45 AM   #9
chip46wis

Sorry to hear this-I am still willing to chat with you and see what you have for a project.I MAY be willing to offer a cash price after seeing your truck.
I truly hope things get changed around for you.
chip46wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:55 AM   #10
72BLUZ

We Have All Made Mistakes As Drivers. I Recently Had An Encounter With A Dot Officer That Resulted In Me Loosing My Temper. To Make A Long Story Short, I Am Filing A Complaint Against The Officer For Profiling, And False Accusations.
GOOD LUCK IN YOUR FUTURE PLANS. DO WHAT EVER YOU HAVE TO, TO GET AN EDUCATION OF SOME SORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by 72BLUZ; 12-16-2007 at 05:56 AM. Reason: INFO
72BLUZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:11 AM   #11
70cst

I would agree with some of the statements above...Focus on getting your life back together and get back in school. Even if its a Tech type of school. In today's society education of some sort is almost imperative if you want to make the next level of income. It use to be that one could work in the factory and make good $$$...but that was when we were a US economy. But now we are global so we need to compete with county's that hire employees at very low wages. If you need to sell your truck than that's what you need to do but you will likely take a loss. I wish you well as you have shown signs of wisdom and maturity in the fact that you have come to the conclusion that you need to make some changes in your life. Like many of those on this site...we have had our share of ups and downs in our lives. I wish you well. Remember...as we go through life the rainbow always follow the storms.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 12-16-2007 at 06:12 AM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:40 AM   #12
jkade

Look around and find you a job with a electric contractor that puts up powerlines. I always enjoyed building them and made damn good money just out of high school. You don't need any experience just a will to learn. You may not want to do this but it will pay the bills for sure.
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:52 AM   #13
72 cheyenne pdx

JKade is right. My youngest bro just got an apprenticeship with a local Electrical company right out of H.S. If he stays with it, he will have his Journeyman's license in 2 years. He is starting out at just over $9.00 an hour and in 2 years he could be making at least double if not more.

I am also a VW Enthusiast as well. I have a '90 Jetta GLI 16V. For help on your GTI, the website is http://www.vwvortex.com. It is a helpful forum as well.
72 cheyenne pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:17 AM   #14
Weezer67

I feel compelled to write to you since I have made some pretty dumb mistakes in my life too. I agree with what the guys have said and want to encourage you to lift your chin and let this experience make you strong..not defeat you. You are young and can bounce back. Plan to better yourself and don't get in the habit of settling for anything. Wipe the dust off and decide to move forward. I heard it said tht failure is just starting over again..more intelligent! I am one of the smartest guys around. I think you can salvage this but you must decide that you can!

Weezer67
Dodge City, Kansas
Weezer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:26 AM   #15
WorkinLonghorn

Let's cut the drama and the bs. Just get your butt out there and put it back together.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:15 AM   #16
72BLUZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
Let's cut the drama and the bs. Just get your butt out there and put it back together.

WHAT HE SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-16-2007, 09:47 AM   #17
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

A plan is very important before you start working on a truck/car. More important a plan is most important when you are starting out in life. This truck may be a blessing in disguise more then you realize. If you find it tuff to complete your truck with the type of job's that you are qualified for think about how it would be supporting yourself or others down the road (wife, kid's.) I know a cool ride is important to a young guy such as yourself but if you get your schooling worked out and get a decent job the toys will come in due time.

esll.

This truck has just the right amount of energy for me!

Author: Warren Lake .... (member)
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:34 AM   #18
Brock
upgrading to an older model

I'm a school teacher so I see this everyday...as long as you place the blame on others, you'll continue to have "issues". Think about it...who made you drink and/or smoke and drive, who got you expelled from school, who made you get the ticket in the VW, who assumed the DMV was doing the right thing? Take responsibility for your actions, suck it up, put your truck back together (you said it ran before, unless you sold stuff off of it, it should be able to be put back to running condition), If you don't know how to do something ask the board. Somebody will tell ya or show ya or even come over and do it for ya if your lucky. If money is the issue, stop getting tickets, stop drinking/smoking, sell the VW. Job wise it'll be difficult to move much higher without some education, try vo-tech or another univ, but even at Appleby's you'll make MUCH more money out front waiting or hosting than as a line cook. I waited tables through college. If your somewhat personable and respectful you can average $20-30 per hour easy.

I don't mean to be preachy but I see this all of the time, I try to get this across to my students...At the time they think I'm an idiot, 5-10 years later they come back and some of the first things they tell me is that they wish they had listened. I've screwed up...we've all screwed up...the learning takes place when you change as a result.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:53 AM   #19
GMT900

I have to agree with Brock. When I was 18 I dropped out of highschool. I couldn't get a "sorry" job to save my life. When I found out the military would'nt take me I had to take stock in the mistakes that I alone had made. I had to face my shortcomings, suck it up, and fix it. You try sitting in a 9th grade algebra class at 20years old because you were too busy skipping scool and smoking dope when you were actually enrolled in the 9th grade. Walk a straight line. Get your legal problems behind you. Get school out of the way. Then take on a project. Your complicating things and yea I'm preaching. It sucks I've lived it. Sadly enough at 18 you don't believe a word I'm saying.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:01 AM   #20
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

[QUOTE= .... I don't mean to be preachy but I see this all of the time, I try to get this across to my students...At the time they think I'm an idiot, 5-10 years later they come back and some of the first things they tell me is that they wish they had listened. I've screwed up...we've all screwed up...the learning takes place when you change as a result.[/QUOTE]

I am a retiree, who drives a school bus. In doing so, and in response to the questions that arise, like "what do you make?", I have made it my goal to make a difference to the kids I transport. But taking responsibility for one's actions is something that too many of them just don't understand. In their defense, I have learned that the 13-15 year old kids MAY "do something" and not know why. This, because portions of their brains develop at a different rate, failing to stay synched, essentially. It isn't just the older teens who have this to happen; I say that because I have older elementary boys who will commit some act and not know why they did it. Middle school is ripe for the events I cite. Having 5 grown kids helped prepare me for this, but doesn't go anywhere near providing the answers.

You nailed the situation. Kudos, sir.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.

Last edited by ChevLoRay; 12-16-2007 at 10:02 AM.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:16 AM   #21
jetboat

I sold my 70 when I was 18 because I couldnt afford to put it back together, I just recently was able to another truck in decent shape and lets just say over a decade has past. Needless to say I still regret selling it. What does it cost to keep it...$0. And 2 words: JR COLLEGE

Last edited by jetboat; 12-16-2007 at 10:19 AM.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:51 AM   #22
BAGGERSOCAL

We all have made mistakes
Focus on what you did wrong and move on.
your young you can continue to go to school if you want its up to you.
you said that you had a strong running motor put everything back together.
Dont blame every one else for the mistakes you made.
BAGGERSOCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:52 AM   #23
68caliRat
Need a bigger hammer..

So you are 18 and your life is over? I'm sure it seems that way, but there are plenty of ways to make a living if you can't go back to college. Trade school, union apprenticeships, truck driver, just to name a few. I'm 35 and never went to college, I live in one of the most expensive areas you can be in: SoCal. At 18 you have so many choices ahead of you, I wish I had those opportunities.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:58 AM   #24
El Bombero

[QUOTE=sorestgore;2487405]...I went to college, only to be expelled about half-way through the first semester, so my opportunities for higher-paying jobs in the area I'd like (automotive tech) simply aren't available... QUOTE]

Honestly, If I were you, I would join the Military. Sounds like you need a little direction in your life. Throwing money into a new project is not the solution to bad decisions. You want to do auto tech right? I was a diesel engine/hydraulic systems mechanic in the Navy. Joined when I was barely 19. Did my four years and got $30,000 to spend on school. I'm not trying to sound like a recruiter, but it was honestly the best decision I ever made. That 30,000 bucks can be spent on regular college, a trade school (auto tech), culinary academy or whatever the hell else you want to learn. Thats my .02 on the situation. Also, you will have a chance to get out and see the world, there is a hell of a lot more to it than the midwest. Whatever you do, get your head on straight and obey the law. Sorry to sound like this, but I have no sympathy for intoxicated drivers. Good luck!

Old 12-16-2007, 10:14 AM   #25
redneckgirl

I hope after all of this you have learned some valuable lessons. First and foremost is of course 'Don't Drink & Drive!!'
Secondly, Be glad you have parents that care. If they didn't they wouldn't have tried to intervene.
Third, don't fix what ain't broken....

I'm sure there are plenty more lessons in there....
You don't need to leave the board because you no longer have a truck. There are a lot of folks on here without 'projects'...but we love 'em anyway