The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2007, 04:26 AM   #1
crosby

spindle bearing - can I replace at home?

Good morning. My truck is all apart in my driveway. Last night I tore it apart needing to replacing both axle shafts on the front drivers side, and watched all the needle bearings fall out of the spindle... it looks to me like the bearing is a press in, and I don't have a press at home. Anybody have experience replacing these bearings? If I am calling it the right name, the spindle is the part bolted to the backing plate where the drive axle passes through. How can I get the old bearing out and a new one put in? I was told the spindle itself is a dealer item, and I am not sure if they come with bearings installed anyhow. The backing plate looks okay except for the smaller part of it where it bolts to the knuckle, that part is all rotted to the point of being gone. I really need to get this truck back together, any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!!

79 Chevy K10 stepside 1/2 ton 4x4
crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:40 AM   #2
xtreme80
Wishin' I had more money!

Re: spindle bearing - can I replace at home?

Your best bet to get it out would be to use an air hammer. If you don't have an air compressor / air hammer, then you're kinda screwed on getting it out. As far as getting a new one in, set it on top, and use a piece of flat metal to lay across it and smack it with a hammer from the middle so it evenly distributes the pressure from hitting it.

If you don't have the equipment to do that, try taking it to a shop and seeing if they will just charge you for R&R of the bearing in the spindle.
xtreme80 is offline   Reply With Quote