The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2007, 05:36 AM   #1
tk1251k

Smile getting leaves side vents

I need to get all the leaves out behind kick panel vents. I dont know of a better way than to take off those 2 small vent doors. Problem is I cannot get doors off to access area. Anyone taken tese off begore woul help. Its a 1972 gmc Sierra Grande. thanks
tk1251k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:57 AM   #2
lks dcvn

Re: getting leaves side vents

Just did it on Monday...

1. Remove the 4 bolts/screws (2 per side) that hold the arm onto the kick panel.
2. On the back of the vents there are pins/pegs that keep in the vent in the hole (top/bottom)
3. The top one is the one that moves and the bottom is fixed (can't be moved)
4. There is a metal V shaped clip that puts pressure on the top peg to keep it locked in place
5. Reach behind the vent and locate the V clip that is near the top (the top peg runs through it)
6. squeeze the V clamp together (releasing the peg threads from the clamp) by simulating an OK sign with your index finger and thumb
7. Once you have released the clamp from the threads move the peg down and out of the kick panel by using your free hand
8. Then lift the bottom peg (of the vent) out of the kick panel and remove the vent from the hole
9. The easiest way to get the debris out is to use a shop vac to get it out of the bottom of the vent housings
10. To get a majority of it where it can be reached - run water (from a hose) into and down each side of the cowl to get everything where it can be reached by hand or shop vac
11. Once finished cleaning out the cowl and vent panels be sure to run water back through the cowl and check that the water drain plugs are clear enough to drain water
12. When you have time - remove the cowl and place black fiberglass (no rust) screen door material under the cowl opening to eliminate this hassle in the future (or the board vendors sell a stainless steel one for more $)

I cleaned out the vents on Monday on my new project, but I didn't have time to remove the cowl and get it all out yet. There were leaves and some other junk but no pine needles (which are a PITA to remove).

Hope that helps. If you need to see the back of the vents to see the V clamp I am talking about - let me know and I can get a pic for you when I get home or maybe somebody else has a pic handy. Once you take them off once - and you can see the back of them - you will totally understand what I am talking about.

Have a good weekend.

Lks Dcvn
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:06 AM   #3
lks dcvn

Re: getting leaves side vents

found a picture from an older post showing the top peg...and how to get to it...compliments of the board member - 67ChevyRedneck
Attached Images

lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:51 AM   #4
tk1251k

Smile Re: getting leaves side vents

Thanks alot IKS that was a great help. Got doors off fine and vaccumed out all those leaves. Passenger door a little trickier because of vacuum operated door but got it off too. I cleaned a few times but never felt good about it because I felt like I could do much better job with doors off. I will try the screen behind cowl that sounds like a great idea. thanks again terry

Last edited by tk1251k; 12-16-2007 at 06:51 AM.
tk1251k is offline   Reply With Quote