The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
1fast71

Thumbs down need front spring advice

ive been tryin to find the cheapest but not too dangerous way to lower my truck in the front and i was talkin to a guy that had the perfect stance on his truck and he said that for the front her got some springs outta a 3/4 ton truck and cut them he said it worked fine. ive never done any suspention like work so i was wondering if sombody could give me a link on how to remove the front springs and advice would be cool to
Old 12-22-2007, 12:08 PM   #2
Luvlegs

Re: need front spring advice

Make sure to chain em in so they don't fly out and kill you! I know there are alot of guys that say you don't need to but who wants to be the one who got nailed? Make sure you read up on it if for no other reason than the safety aspect. With a little searching in this section, I'm sure you'll find several threads discussing it and the process - maybe in the FAQ section too - look for the link to the organized threads (it's called something like that) - not hard to do, just be safe. Good luck!

Wear your PPE! You can eat with false teeth but you can't see with a false eye.

1959 Studebaker Silverhawk 350/400
1972 C10 L6 3OTT
2005 F350 - Built - whew!
Luvlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:41 PM   #3
nightmare

the cheapest and safest way is to purchase drop springs. board vendors have them. i wouldn't cut springs, as this compromises the integrity of what the spring was designed to do.

2001 Dakota R/T - Silver CC - 1 of 1671 •360 w/46RE •392 limited slip
1972 Chevy Suburban - Turquoise/Black
1969 Chevy C/10 - Blue LWB •350 w/ 700R4 •3.73 posi •PS PB A/C - SOLD

Using your turn signal is not "giving information to the enemy"

67-72 FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCMAX View Post
My lugnuts require more torque than your honda makes!
nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:08 PM   #4
c10crazy
Like a Rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmare View Post
the cheapest and safest way is to purchase drop springs. board vendors have them. i wouldn't cut springs, as this compromises the integrity of what the spring was designed to do.
Can you please explain your last sentence?
c10crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:21 PM   #5
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Springs are designed to do a specific job for the vehicle into which they are to be installed. If you get a 3/4-ton spring, cut it down to the height you want and install it, you may find that the ride sucks, and that the lowering effect didn't happen. Coil springs, like leaf springs, have a designated spring "rate", or weight capacity. Shorter, heavier springs will take just as much work as correct lowered springs, to install. By the time you buy the used springs, have them altered, then install them, you may find you could have bought 1/2-ton springs designed for your installation for the same money, or even less.

Heating springs changes their capacity. If you start with heavier-duty springs, heat them and cut them, you may end up with a spring that has less capacity than your original spring. It's iffy, at best.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:23 PM   #6
cdowns

the thing about takin a front suspension apart is once you alter what you have you need an alignment//me if i go thru the effort it makes no sence to me not to replace balljoints and tyrod ends and other moving suspension parts with 40years of hard use// i havent seen a cheap front spring replacement in many years
if you're lookin for cheap let it be till you can do it right
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:29 PM   #7
nightmare

thanks ChevLoRay, i couldn't have said it better myself.

2001 Dakota R/T - Silver CC - 1 of 1671 •360 w/46RE •392 limited slip
1972 Chevy Suburban - Turquoise/Black
1969 Chevy C/10 - Blue LWB •350 w/ 700R4 •3.73 posi •PS PB A/C - SOLD

Using your turn signal is not "giving information to the enemy"

67-72 FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCMAX View Post
My lugnuts require more torque than your honda makes!
nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:25 PM   #8
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

people have been cutting coils on these trucks since 67. It isn't hard, it isn't unsafe, and it isn't expensive. Junk yard coils shouldn't cost more than 20 bucks.
Popping a ball joint with a jack under the lower arm and slowly releasing the jack will let the spring fall out. It won't be compressed, and the furthest it'll fly, is the 6 inches to the ground.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:30 PM   #9
centsless
sufficiently talented fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
people have been cutting coils on these trucks since 67. It isn't hard, it isn't unsafe, and it isn't expensive. Junk yard coils shouldn't cost more than 20 bucks.
Popping a ball joint with a jack under the lower arm and slowly releasing the jack will let the spring fall out. It won't be compressed, and the furthest it'll fly, is the 6 inches to the ground.
I agree 100%
1981 Corvette
1966 Impala Convertible
Click here to support the board
centsless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:41 PM   #10
jorgensensc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
Just for the sake of the oddball fact that maybe the jack lets loose, could we agree to at least put a chain on the spring to the Control arm... For safety sakes... please?
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:05 PM   #11
Boog
laying low

Justin as you can see there are lots of varying opinions as to the "best and cheapest" methods to drop a vehicle. There are lots of threads pertaining to lowering these trucks. It's one of the more popular mods. If you care anything about maintaining the stock ride then a set of dropped spindles are the way to go. If you just want a couple inches of drop you could cut 3/4 to 1 full round off the coils with a cutting wheel but the ride will be different. You may not like it.
Support the truck with jack stands and only do one side at a time. Be sure to place the floor jack under the control arm before removing the nut on the ball joint. Be safe!
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 03:02 PM   #12
txinliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgensensc View Post
Just for the sake of the oddball fact that maybe the jack lets loose, could we agree to at least put a chain on the spring to the Control arm... For safety sakes... please?
Shawn
right on not that hard to wrap a chain around it and fastend it up with a bolt and a nut. you know better safe than sorry. boy that sounded like my dad
txinliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:14 PM   #13
BP68

I had a buddy with a 71 that didn't sit quite level all around. We slowly and carefully heated the springs until we got the desired height. DISCLAIMER I do not prefer this method and it is not the best way to do it. But it is prob the cheapest. Ride was decent afterward. There is much truth and good advice in the posts above.
However, on my 68 project I purchased the ECE 4/6 drop kit with parts designed to work together and give you a good ride. I got spindles, springs, shocks, adj. pan hard bar, etc.

My build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=269999

Last edited by BP68; 12-22-2007 at 05:15 PM.
BP68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:37 PM   #14
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

Like boog said drop one side down at a time and cut an equal loop off of your existing springs. If you like it great. If you don't like it buy some drop springs from a vendor and swap them out.

I have a buddy with a 72 that has cut springs all the way around with drop spindles. It seems to handle the same as my truck which has drop springs and the same drop spindles. I wish I would have tried cutting my stock spring first and possibly saved some cash.

Good luck figuring out what to do.

Last edited by lts70; 12-23-2007 at 06:41 AM.
lts70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 12:57 AM   #15
see ten
WTB this ad

Yep, If I was going to cut some springs I would cut the ones that are already in the truck (they're already paid for). If you aren't happy with how it rides or the stance, then look at buying some drop coils.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:06 PM   #16
Boog
laying low

Somewhere in these many thousands of posts there are some general guidelines as to how much to cut and how much drop to expect. Like in cutting off 1/2 coil, 3/4 coil, 1 full coil and so forth and an approximate amount of drop from each one. It will vary from truck to truck some.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:34 PM   #17
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

I would cut the original coils, like see ten said. If you like it, you are out nothing but some time. If not, it gains you some time to look into dropped coils. Like Andy said, people have been doing this for years, 'cause it works. Just don't cut more than one coil the first time. If you want to go lower you can try removing 1/4 more, but go slowly.

If you are starting with a 1/2 ton truck, why would your friend suggest lowering by cutting 3/4 ton springs?
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:58 PM   #18
Robznob11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lts70 View Post
Like boog said drop one side down at a time and cut an equal loop off of your existing springs. If you like it great. If you don't like it buy some drop springs from a vendor and swap them out.

I have a buddy with a 72 that has cut springs all the way around with drop spindles. It seems to handle the same as my truck which has drop springs and the same drop spindles. I wish I would have tried cutting my stock spring first and possibly saved some cash.

Good luck figuring out what to do.
I would like to know how he has cut springs all around on the rear did he cut to coil out of the middle and then weld it back together or did he take a big set of vise grips and twist that little coil back into the spring after he cut it, relly what did he do just giveing you a hard time...
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:05 PM   #19
Robznob11

oh by the way my front springs are 3" drop beltechs to fit an 02 f150 with no pig tails they were about a coil and 1/2 shorter than the stockers and a little bigger around but they fit like a glove
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:47 PM   #20
retodd7711
chrome makes it go FASTER!

Look in the suspension section of this board.
There are 2-3 different ways to remove springs and all are explained in those threads. The ball joint job, the u-bolt job. Just be careful and know what you're doing before you start unbolting stuff.
and she brings me beer.
She can stay for now.
EDIT:: But she left me anyway,
So forget her.

1962 GMC Stepside V6 4 speed
My rolling resto thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=324226
My old farm truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3465005
retodd7711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:00 PM   #21
JCA1972

Take the springs out and cut a 4x4 to the height you desire, put them in place of the springs. might be a little bouncy thou.

just kidding, back in the day I had a truck that I wanted to lower, my buddys dad got under the truck and heated the springs with a torch and the truck droped at least 2 inches. this would be the quickest and cheapest way if you ask me.
2008 Honda Civic
2004 HD V-Rod
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=226458
JCA1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 03:08 PM   #22
txinliner

Thumbs down Re: need front spring advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCA1972 View Post
Take the springs out and cut a 4x4 to the height you desire, put them in place of the springs. might be a little bouncy thou.

just kidding, back in the day I had a truck that I wanted to lower, my buddys dad got under the truck and heated the springs with a torch and the truck droped at least 2 inches. this would be the quickest and cheapest way if you ask me.
never i repeat never lower a truck or any vehicle by heating the springs it takes the temper out of em.
txinliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 03:07 PM   #23
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

that is generally considered unsafe.
While it's been done millions of time with good results, they are more likely to fail if heated than if cut.
I've personally lowered many cars and S-10s like that and never had one shatter, but I did see one that did shatter once.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 03:50 PM   #24
corn

I have cut, heated & replaced springs with no problems, but not saying it cant happen. If you cut, cut a full coil so they still fit in the pocket. If you heat, heat them at one end. Im pretty sure that when people have problems heating them its because they heat them in the middle of the spring. Replacing springs is the best, but remember sometimes when you take out old worn springs & install drop springs you might not be happy with the amount of drop...
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 03:59 PM   #25
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

i agree with others......i have heard all the stories about not heating or cutting....but never seen it....my personal method would be to cut them....but as Corn said if you take out a worn spring, that are sagging anyways..? when you install a drop spring.....it may raise it or lower it a minimal amount from which you started with......

tony
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote