The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
LBJ

Tried the LED Panel Lights Yet?

I was buying some number 168 bulbs for the instrument panel the other day and noticed they had some direct LED replacements that plug into the same sockets. Has anyone tried these and are they brighter than the old 168 bulbs? I would have tried them, buit they were QUITE a bit more $$$$ each and wanted to know the scoop on them first. If they are, I might install some since with NEW bulbs and FULL brightness setting, the instruments are hard to see at night. LBJ
LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:14 PM   #2
Pyrotechnic

Re: Tried the LED Panel Lights Yet?

I was wondering the same thing. I'll have my dash apart soon and I was planning to check all the bulbs and replace any burnt out ones.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
LBJ

Pyrotechnic,

I was in a bit of a hurry when I did mine, but I have read that painting the inside of the metal shell white (under the clear plastic), will brighten things considerably in itself. I really need to go back and paint the inside bright white. However, there is a LOT of BS getting to all those parts, so once closed up, it is rather a pain to go back in. I broke one of the little plastic locator pins for the speedo when I replaced the speedometer. I had it in there fine and noticed that the High Beam indicator bulb was not working so I had to go back in (after having it all put together). Just got in a hurry and it broke it on the second trip in there. Failure to have a working High Beam indicator is basis for failure of the State inspection, so I HAD to fix it!

Use some heavy grease on the bare bulb pins when you go back with the bulbs as that helps keep the connection solid. I also pulled the gauges and put grease in those connections (they just plug in). You have to do that anyway to get to some of the bulbs. The VOLT meter jumped quite a bit after the grease job, increased the electrical connection considerably. I had one burned out bulb on the GAS gauge side, so new bulbs helped and I cleaned 30 years of dust and dirt off the others. I replaced 4 of them with new ones since I had the panel opened up.

Last edited by LBJ; 01-06-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
grs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
Pyrotechnic,

I was in a bit of a hurry when I did mine, but I have read that painting the inside of the metal shell white (under the clear plastic), will brighten things considerably in itself. I really need to go back and paint the inside bright white. However, there is a LOT of BS getting to all those parts, so once closed up, it is rather a pain to go back in. I broke one of the little plastic locator pins for the speedo when I replaced the speedometer. I had it in there fine and noticed that the High Beam indicator bulb was not working so I had to go back in (after having it all put together). Just got in a hurry and it broke it on the second trip in there. Failure to have a working High Beam indicator is basis for failure of the State inspection, so I HAD to fix it!

Use some heavy grease on the bare bulb pins when you go back with the bulbs as that helps keep the connection solid. I also pulled the gauges and put grease in those connections (they just plug in). You have to do that anyway to get to some of the bulbs. The VOLT meter jumped quite a bit after the grease job, increased the electrical connection considerably. I had one burned out bulb on the GAS gauge side, so new bulbs helped and I cleaned 30 years of dust and dirt off the others. I replaced 4 of them with new ones since I had the panel opened up.
I took the dash bezel, the instrument lens, and the plastic black cover that is under the lens out. Also the trans indicator has to come off. Then I pulled out the gauges. I left the speedometer in. I then sprayed some self etching primer in a small plastic container, and used a small brush and brushed it on the plastic shell. Paint behind the speedo to. Also paint behind the black cover. Then I painted two coats of Rust-Oleum bright white paint. Let each coat dry real good. I got the idea from a member that sprayed his. It works.
grs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:19 PM   #5
lawson86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
I was wondering the same thing. I'll have my dash apart soon and I was planning to check all the bulbs and replace any burnt out ones.
I put led in my two 86's at almost 5 bux a bulb but i had been tired of the candle light that i had before lol .. I like them much better and they are much brighter and you can't dim them there either on or off but that i can live with...
lawson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:31 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i had seen them too and i was told that they do not dim like regular bulbs do if you like a setting less than real bright.. I dont know as ive not tried them yet and frankly its been too cold for me to mess with anything on my truck

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:32 AM   #7
Mr79C10
It Is What It Is,,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
i had seen them too and i was told that they do not dim like regular bulbs do if you like a setting less than real bright.. I dont know as ive not tried them yet and frankly its been too cold for me to mess with anything on my truck
True,,true, Im running them. Got blues in there, Its much better light, and NO dim whats So ever. When I put those in I took that black plastic piece and painted it chrome silver. It reflects the light MUCH better. Sorry no pics, Im sure if youve taken your dash apart you know what Im talking bout.
79 C-10 project
.........................__
..............._____ l __\___
..............|_(O)_ |___(O) ]
FAQ INDEX Thread
The Kulture
My Rat Den
Mr79C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:59 AM   #8
blu87

What parts store are you guys finding the leds?
Old 01-07-2008, 10:01 AM   #9
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

For you guy's talking about painting your cluster, This was posted here a while back and I saved it for when I go back into mine.

http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/interior/dashlights.htm
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:20 PM   #10
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu87 View Post
What parts store are you guys finding the leds?
Don't know 'bout the chain stores, but you can find quality wedge-type LEDs at Super Bright LEDs Inc.. (http://superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html).

With some LED custers, you may end up with hot spots.

To control the brightness, maybe a PWM can be integrated using the original headlight switch/dimmer.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 04:27 AM   #11
LBJ

Blu87, I found the LED bulbs at AutoZone hanging right next to the regular bulbs. The ones they had looked like they were multiple small LED's. The larger taillight size bulbs had about 10 LED's all grouped together. I hate to go back into my dash as evey time I do, that plastic bezel seems to get a bit shakier with handling and a bit more cracked at the screw holes after 30 years in the sun has taken its toll on the plastic. Guess I'll stay with new 186 bulbs right now until I get bigger thnings off the list like new seat upholstery and carpet. There's $500 gone! I've also got a leak in the oil pan area that needs attention. That one makes me shudder to think about getting under there in this weather. Give me 90 degrees F any day!
Old 01-06-2008, 04:56 PM   #12
BaddBusa2005

I think the LED's would be too much of a direct beam, rather than a spread light path as the standard 168's.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #13
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Bringing this back to the world!!!

I have been thinking about LEDs in my 84's dash, since the factory look is really dimmer than I like it. Are the LEDs so bright that you cannot handle it? What number did you use when you put them in?

http://www.putco.com/products.cfm?ac...5-0e66150da48e

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...hp6.htm#photos
Old 04-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #14
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

another option
paint white
leave standard white alone(with paint much brighter)
and a second colour

check out from post 200 + below on the 78 jimmy
and from 10 on the 79....worth the work....cheap fix too!
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote