The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2008, 11:17 PM   #1
Longhorn Paul
Mine's longer

69 396 w/ coolant leak and tranny problem?

Note: I am NOT a gear head but I'm trying to learn. Looks like I found my first opportunity.

Brand new owner - 5 days w/ the truck. Yesterday she blew off the lower hose that connects the transmission radiator(I think that's what it is) to the tranny and dropped about 5 qts of fluid. Wasn't able to get it completely tight heading out this morning to see if I can get her snug w/ the right tools this time. It was stone cold when it happened and I didn't get far. She seems to be driving alright now but I need to stop the leak.

Noticed there was coolant ON TOP of the engine block. Seems to be coming from this piece. What is this and how hard is it to replace?

Finally - I decided to double check the radiator (in light of this) and there isn't any coolant showing when I opened up the cap this morning. IOW, I look into the rad and can't see any coolant at all. Should I be able to? The expansion tank is completely empty.

Could use some advice / help please.

Paul
Longhorn Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:33 PM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Re: 69 396 w/ coolant leak and tranny problem?

The water outlet piece that is leaking is called a thermostat housing. The one you have is an aftermarket piece and they don't seem to hold up very well. I would suggest getting an original style housing as they seem to last forever. The original one was made of aluminum and a good used one will work if a new one cannot be located.

Jim
1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:35 PM   #3
Shyguy

The coolant leak seems to be an easy fix once you get the new part. In the picture it looks like there is a crack in the water outlet housing to the radiator.

Take the old one off and go to a parts store and they should be able to get you one that will work.

I know very little about automatic transmissions on these old truck, but on my '92 there is an o-ring on the line that goes to the radiator. Some one should be able to answer your question though.

Danny - Sotheast Missouri
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:59 AM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

You need a new water neck. The aftermarket chrome ones are cheap-o's and don't hold up very well. Buy a factory one it will last forever if it's a good one. The level on these trucks is about a 1" from the bottom of the cap without a recovery tank. If the recovery tank is empty and you can't see any in the radiator don't drive it until you get some in it. If you have a recovery tank you need to fill the radiator full and add a small amount into the recovery tank.

For the transmission coolier inside the radiator if the level is as low as you said it probably blew off the line form getting to hot. Some people just slip the hose over a smooth peice of tubing and it will slip right off once it get's hot. You need the barbed fittings to attach the hose with so it will stay put once you fire it up.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote