The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2008, 06:48 AM   #1
andrewt2

Small Town living...

Ok this is going to be me ranting and raving for a minute.... so if your not interested in someone gripping, just a for warning dont waste your time on this post....

How many of you guys out there have troubles with the towns or neighbors you are in because of your projects... its gotten to be rediculous, Im 19 years old bought my first house this past september in the small town where i work, i actively participate in all the city council meetings and i would say i am generally well liked in the community. well tonight im out working on my stepside as i have done every night for the past couple months.... and one of the town cops pulls into the drive way to serve me a "nuisance complaint." it seems that just because i have 9 vehicles ***all taxed insured and regiester except for one.** and downed tree limbs... my yard has become a nuisence to the community and i am to clear it out or face severe fines and have the city come and clean my property in a matter they seem fit. Now I understand they want a clean community but let me start by saying im not the only one in town who has automobile on his property... there are at least 10 to 20 houses in the community with broke down dismantled non registered vehicles on their private property.... heck even one guy across the street from city hall *he's a nice guy not bashing him* but he has bare frames and bodys fir tri-fi chevys sittign in front of his garage all the time... and some how the appointed "city complaiance officer" decided to target me... anyone else have problems similar to this in their community.... what have you done to combat this?
- i would understand if all of my vehicles were in pieces broke down non tagged non registered but i have one that isnt... my stepside. the rest are all real nice clean vehicles i move and drive weekly no weeds or grass or anything pile up around them.
thanks for letting me rant guys!
andrewt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:06 AM   #2
bhoeger70

Re: Small Town living...

there should be an appeals process to go through to at least buy you some time.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:18 AM   #3
Psycho71

That's why I moved out to the country. No worries about other people's ideas on how I should live. Now with that comes driving down my rough arsed county rd by two houses that could be mistaken for scrapyards. But no-one can tell me how many, or what kind of shape my place has to be in.

We moved out here 6yrs ago, and the additional 45minutes on my commute almost wore me out. But funny enough, each day when I pulled into the gate at the house, it was all worth it. Then by some stroke of luck, my company decided to relocate to within 15 minutes of where I live. So my commute went right back to what it had been 1 year earlier.

But I will say this, or ask anyway. Just how many vehicles can you use? It's great that you're 19 yrs old, and doing so well you are buying a house. And you have the resources to maintain 9 vehicles. But 9 vehicles???? I could not see myself truly needing 9 vehicles. But that's your prerogative. Obviously someone in your neighborhood has an issue with it though. You have a couple of choices. Get rid of some cars, or start complaining in council meetings about everyone else's junk, and still get rid of some cars. Either way.......

Maybe find someone who lives out in the country and relocate a few of your cars?

Jay

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!

Last edited by Psycho71; 03-15-2008 at 07:19 AM.
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:22 AM   #4
andrewt2

there is an Appeals court to take it up in and i will diffantely be there. I pay my Taxes, I Insure, Register and pay Personal Property Tax on my dwelling and each and everyone of my 9 vehicles except the stepside i just got and its not like i dont intend to register it, i had planed on it being registered just as soon as the motor install was done so i could take it in to be inspected and get the out of state title cleared.... im not trying to screw anyone. I have the right to own 30 vehicles if i want and can maintain that lifestyle. thats why we live in a democratic society and not a communism am i wrong? If you ask me its rediculous.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:30 AM   #5
CG
BlahBlahBlah

You have nine vehicles at your house all running and registered and insured? Wow, thats a lot of vehicles at one home. Id like to see a picture of your house with all the rides there...a shot that the neighbors see before I pass any judgment.

On another note I would just like to say I'm very impressed you have purchased your first home at the young age of 19.
CG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:39 AM   #6
andrewt2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
You have nine vehicles at your house all running and registered and insured? Wow, thats a lot of vehicles at one home. Id like to see a picture of your house with all the rides there...a shot that the neighbors see before I pass any judgment.

On another note I would just like to say I'm very impressed you have purchased your first home at the young age of 19.
I apprciate it i work sales for an automotive salvage yard and it i hoped straight from highschool into the field... it took a long time for body shop managers to respect me but i made my boss give me a truck delivery route for 6 months so i could build a face to face realtionship with them and let them get to know me instead of over the phone ever since my sales have taken off i work 55-65 hours a week to be able to afford the lifestyle i do all on my own no live in girl friend or roomates of any sort...the taxes on 9 cars aint the problem... mainly its the insurance at my age!

but heres a few pics.....

This picture shows my El camino, to the left of it sits a 73 triumph spitfire SCCA car. over in the corner is a 94 mazda 302 c4 truck, beside that is a 99 ranger 4x4 my daily driver. then my 96 explorer 4x4 i usually let the gf drive it. then i have my red mustang true turbo inline 6 car. my blue mustang 289 driver, my red chevy stepside next to that. and my 76 bronco mud truck sits in the garage. along with all my tools and parts. All vehicles are running driving with the exception of the stepside. and i do drive and enjoy them all!
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2008, 07:34 AM   #7

get out the camera take a lot of photos yours and the rest. pictures pictures pictures build a strong case. don't let a bull---- ticket yank your chain. stand up for your rights and remember to be polite. 463
463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:41 AM   #8
68 short step

need some pics of your property to make a fair call, IMO....ive done quite a few frame-off restos in my driveway, painted alot to, and it was smack-dab in the middle of a city in a neighborhood....all i can suggest is try to befriend your neighbors...
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:47 AM   #9
andrewt2

It's not the neighbors... they all work on cars too and have just as many if not more half complete vehicles sitting around their properties...this doesnt bother anyone on our street.... the City mayor has brought in a guy who's entire job is to drive around and find houses of people to write "nusiance complaints" about. not just about vehicles but about EVERYTHING. grass to tall you get a write up... and im not talking like overly tall im talking about if it doesnt get cut every week.... now i could understand if i was in a 1st class neighborhood... but the neighborhood i in is working class folk. just trying to get by. we're all pretty tight nite and get along pretty good...none of us have real nice fancy houses and most all of us have a tractor or something sitting outside from time to time.... this nusiance officer is just a little over the top for many people ive spoke with...
Old 03-15-2008, 08:19 PM   #10
chvtrkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewt2 View Post
It's not the neighbors... they all work on cars too and have just as many if not more half complete vehicles sitting around their properties...this doesnt bother anyone on our street.... the City mayor has brought in a guy who's entire job is to drive around and find houses of people to write "nusiance complaints" about. not just about vehicles but about EVERYTHING. grass to tall you get a write up... and im not talking like overly tall im talking about if it doesnt get cut every week.... now i could understand if i was in a 1st class neighborhood... but the neighborhood i in is working class folk. just trying to get by. we're all pretty tight nite and get along pretty good...none of us have real nice fancy houses and most all of us have a tractor or something sitting outside from time to time.... this nusiance officer is just a little over the top for many people ive spoke with...

Sounds to me like your Mayor has a chip on his shoulder. We have ordinances where I live that were drawn up by the construction companies who built the subdivisions, but I think it was more to get the zoning approval to build "x" amount of houses on a tract of land. No one in my neighborhood complains about this kind of stuff as we all probably have some kind of minor infraction of the rules somewhere on our property.

Congrats on being able to purchase a home at your young age,that's a noble accomplishment.
69 C-20 292, 4 spd O/D, 4:56 rears. No a/c p/s p/b p/w......restoration project,"Operation:Stovebolt"
78 C-10 305 TH350 new (old) daily driver
02 Suburban Z71 a.k.a. the family truckster
99 Silverado 1500 Z71
chvtrkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:39 PM   #11
BB72CHEVKT

Are they parked in the front yard on the grass?
Old 03-15-2008, 08:17 AM   #12
Jim_PA

Maybe build a pole building or something?
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:43 AM   #13
jeffspower
Well, Whoop-dee-do!

So what does the complaint state that you must clean up? I suspect that they want you to clean up limbs & junk. It sounds like your neighbors stuff has been around for years and that your stuff has been accumluating quickly since moving in. If there wasn't much on your property prior to you buying it, that may be why- change gets noticed. I can see they may be able to force you to clean up limbs, parts, junk... and now an unlicensed truck is gonna be a target also. I don't see how they can do anything about licensed, insured running vehicles unless there is an ordinance about qty. at a residence or parking off the driveway.

I'd tidy things up & see if it blows over. If not, I'd ask to see what codes are being violated.

Good luck.

'72 K20 500 Cad/TH400/NP205 SOLD

'92 Chevy 2500 6.5 mech TD 4L80E crusty daily driver

'72 Monte Carlo... sweet low mile toy

'11 Dodge Challenger IE 392 6spd... midlife car
jeffspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:22 AM   #14
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Are you actually violating any laws? From the looks of that photo, they are all in your back yard, parked properly and not up on jcak stands.. you pay insurance and all are registered...
If I am not mistaken, they can p!ss off on this 'complaint'.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:34 AM   #15
andrewt2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
Are you actually violating any laws? From the looks of that photo, they are all in your back yard, parked properly and not up on jcak stands.. you pay insurance and all are registered...
If I am not mistaken, they can p!ss off on this 'complaint'.
They are saying im not in compliance with a nuisance law the town has made by having my Red Chevy p/u not registered. and 2.) having a sports car of unkown origin uner a Automotive Car Tarp on the premises. and i have 10 days to remove both vehicles from the property or... here ill type out what the letter says...

1. The conditions listed above constitue a nuiscance and you are in violation of the city nuisance law. The nusiance must be removed or abated within 10s days of the recipt of this notice. You may request, in writing, a hearing before the City Council within 10 days after Receipt of this notice, Failure to make a timely request for a hearing shall constitue a waiver of the person's right to contest the findings of the public officer before the governing body.
2. If the nuisance is not removed or abated and no hearing has been requested, the city or its authorized agent will remove or abate the nuisance. The cost of abatement, including a reasonable administrative fee, will be assessed against the owner, occupant, or agent in charge of the property.

..... im sorry but if they come on my property to tow off a vehicle i have i own.... im going for the gun safe....
additionally the only none running registered vehicle i have i made room for in the garage 2nite so they have NO reason to b*** about my "sports car of unkown origin" under an automotive car tarp.
.... i know theres a lot of words here but like i said im only 19 and havent had to many go arounds like this... im not really sure what to do...
Old 03-15-2008, 08:28 AM   #16
Psycho71

The stuff like grass being too tall? Happens in the cities around here too. Any junk that could be considered dangerous to kids, or unsightly? Happens in the cities around here too. Too many limbs in the front yard? Happens in the cities here too.

I agree, it's a bunch of bovine excrement. But they gotta draw a line somewhere, it just happened to be behind you this time.

I must ask this. When do the local elections take place in your town? Have there been any big politicians campaigning in your town lately?

Maybe if you got the limbs collected up, raked any leaves up, and parked the vehicles in some kind of order they might ease up on you. But the above advice is right, be polite, even to the code enforcer. He has a job too. And if someone handed him a set of guidlines, he's just doing his job. Some are just asses, but feel good about the fact that you obviously are doing better financially than he is.

Jay

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:49 AM   #17
GMCMAX

Got dinged by the county from a neighbor complaint for our 7 vehicles, 2 were registered non operational, I'm only allowed 1 unless I put a 6' fence up so they can't be seen from the street, then you can have what you want.... I put tags on the truck.

Gets More Chicks

My lugnuts require more torque than your honda makes!

68 GMC, 4X4 conversion w/73 k20 running gear and springs, 350 4spd, 4.10's, D44 powerlok front, 14BFF govlock rear, 33" tires, lifted 4".
GMCMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:14 AM   #18
tim21391

wanna sell the mustangs?
2013 Mustang V6/6speed w/300 ponies
I may be 23, but i sure do knows 67-72s are sexy!
Its not MPG its smiles per gallon!
build started 11/25/08
build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2993796
tim21391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:40 AM   #19
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim21391 View Post
wanna sell the mustangs?
not what the thread is about, so keep it in the classifieds thanks

good luck with it all. I would do as suggested and just clean up a bit. Off the limbs, rake up what ya can and just make it as neat as possible. Go in with a good attitude when you do, and just do your best to be polite.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:43 AM   #20
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Since you have your non-registered truck in the garage now, take the tarp off the "sports car of unknown origin." Request a hearing.

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:08 AM   #21
Rokcrln

Sorry to hear about your problems. I to am from a very small town but I have been real lucky that my house is down town and it is a split usage as residential and comercial. I have a legal buisness license for what I do here so I don't try and hide anything and I have been involved in getting the summer car shows that we have going. Then their is the little side work I do for the town Mayor for any fab work he might need

Good luck,
Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:48 AM   #22
berencam

mabee they are talking about all the unsightly fords in your yard just kidding, but since you are obviously doing so well, ever thought of a storage unit? I know you shouldnt have to worry about what everyone else thinks about what you do, but you could get a storage unit big enough to fit 2 cars for under 100 a month, and since you have one in the garage already, you would only have 6 in sight. Then when it all blows over, take the cars back out. You might have to do that 2 or 3 times but pretty soon whoever is complaining will give up.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:54 PM   #23
1bad chevy

tidy up the yard. then go to the town office and ask for a copy of the town ordinance paper's or document's stating what as a land and home owner that the town allow's you to do. read them over this is all avaliable to you.now i can't promise this BUT you should be allowed ONE UNREGISTERED VEHICLE ATLEAST as far as registered vehicle's they can't do anything about them i believe.now i may be wrong but from what i see in pic's and have read if you clean the yard of all limb's and leaves and other debris you should be fine as i don't believe if you only have one and i say ONE UNREGISTERED VEHICLE they can kiss your dark side.and i state this as i went through this and have researched alot of town ordinannces and they all say atleast one unregisteredvehicle is allowwed.i restore classic's and as of right now i have two 1972 chevy truck's one 1964 c-10 a 1967pontiac catalina 2+2 with a 428 a1977camaro a1969 cotter's style wrecker and a 1970 elcamino and my neighbor went to the town and told them i was starting a junk yard so the town official's came a calling and the first thing they did was ask why all the car's so i explained as follow's i restore and fix old classic's for a hobby and they were like well that's good we were told you were starting a junk yard and i replyed you must have got a call from my neighbor and they started to laugh and said your right. so one speak's up and say's why not start your own little shop we'll do what we can to help you out and nip this in the bud. so isay what do i have to do they say fill out the paper work here and bring it in and we will have a meeting on it and bring what ever you can from other neighbor's stating there concerne and if all goe's well you will be zoned to do this.well everything went well i now have room for 3 unregistered customer's car's and aan area fenced in for my stuff basiclly what i'm getting at talk to the town and if they are human at all they will work with ya and good luck
Old 03-15-2008, 04:11 PM   #24
1bad chevy

here's a few pic's none of fence but these are of my yard before the complaint from my assinine neighbor the white house in the last pic is the one who complained and to top it all off he is only here in the summer it's his summer home and run's to florida in the winter. i hate rich f^%^&*&'s like him who think's the world only revolves around them it don't it rvovle's around us THE CAR GUY'S WE MUST STICK TOGETHER !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by 1bad chevy; 03-15-2008 at 04:17 PM.
1bad chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:35 PM   #25
andrewt2

1badychevy, i say aside from having plenty of projects at your house your yard looks very clean and the house looks well upkept... i dont see anything wrong with your situation....seems to be similiar to mine.... im debating what if i just built an 8 foot privacy fence around half of my yard. that would keep any of my "nuisances" out of public view and if they want to write me up again they'd have to come on private property to do so which i do believe is trespassing... they included two pictures in the write up they provided to me yesterday from the alley near my place and my drive way... so if i fence in half my yard and keep my vehicles in that then what can they say? of course id check with city hall about fencing oridnances before i begin... but its about the only think i know to do....