The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2008, 03:14 AM   #1
mercman1951

Caliper Bolts? - 2.5 drop kit

Hi All,

I have a set of Mcguaghy 2.5" dropped spindles on my '86 GMC 1/2 ton. I bought the "HD" brake rotors and Calipers as required, but now the caliper bolts seem too short.

I went to the "good" parts store today, and all indications are that Chevy/GMC used the same bolts for all their calipers, even for the HD applications (even 8400+ GVW). We couldn't find any that were 1/2" to 3/4" inch longer than what my truck came with, which seems to be the difference between the new HD calipers and the old ones. Anybody experience this during their swaps?

Thanks
Old 05-26-2008, 11:43 PM   #2
mercman1951

Re: Caliper Bolts? - 2.5 drop kit

UPDATE:

Apparently, there are only one set length of pins for these calipers, both for regular, and HD brakes, up the 8400 GVW- FYI...

I called the guy at Mcgaughy's, he was helpful enough, and basically told me I was an idiot, or, at least, made me feel like one...(in a nice way), he'd never heard of problems with their spindles...they should be considered "oem" replacements. All stock hardware should work fine.

Great.

I am learning...

Looks like the original set of rebuilt HD calipers I bought may have had the steel sleeve inserts set a bit too long. (The shoulder on the bolt was bottoming out on the sleeve end before it went into the backside of the caliper.) I bought a set of Wagner "loaded" calipers, (they come with EVERYTHING), and looks like it will work since the steel insets are more "flush" to the caliper housing... but we'll see...

The drop on the truck looks cool so far, BTW...2.5" in the front with Mcgaughy's Spindles, and 4" in the rear with their shackle relocator kit...but I'm thinking a bit lower might be in order..hmm...so many options...

Last edited by mercman1951; 05-26-2008 at 11:50 PM.
mercman1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

The bolts are the same for both. On the HD, they will be recessed a little- on the LD, they will stick out some...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:58 PM   #4
mercman1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
The bolts are the same for both. On the HD, they will be recessed a little- on the LD, they will stick out some...
That's what it's looking like... I think between the no-name calipers and the sleeves, it's throwing things off. Hopefully this week I'll have this mess wrapped up.