The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2008, 07:28 PM   #1
exmonkeypunk
Barrito Loco Diablo

Keeping it Correct-Era Correct

One thing that i don't wanna do when restoring a vehicle, is put a bunch of parts on that have no business being in a vehicle of a certain age. Satellite radio or hidden cd players are okay, obviously. But, putting LCD screens, big no no on a classic ride. Unless it's a slid out. haha. Anyways, i'm curious about using WWW's on the 72' longbed. I've seen wide whites used on everything from the Delorian from back to the future 3 i think it was, as new as an early 90's buick on pimp my ride. ouch. My question is, would using wide whites still be era correct? or am i out of the range a bit?

I should add, that i'm stuck between going WWW with steelies or shiny wheels with street tires. Two very different ends of the spectrum to be stuck at.

Last edited by exmonkeypunk; 06-15-2008 at 07:30 PM.
exmonkeypunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: Keeping it Correct-Era Correct

no wide whites were out in the late 60's era correct for most of these trucks cayying a heavy load with a CB radio onboard and if you really want to go over the top throw in a reverb unit // era correct were they were work trucks not cruisers
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Opinions are nice, but pics are the best way to tell what you like, so here you go. I personally am a fan, even though the WWW craze was a bit earlier than these trucks.
Attached Images

'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:42 PM   #4
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

I guess they can look *okay* on the right truck, they are not period correct (as already noted) -- nor do I care for them on trucks.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:04 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

It`s not a matter of opinion or whether someone likes www tires or not.By period correct it means what was done back then.And,even though www tires would have existied in this era,they were not used then on any vehicles from this era.By putting www tires on one of these trucks it brings it into the 20th century because that`s when that style was/is in.
Smoothies & baby moons,chrome reverses with or w/o dog dish,aluminum slots,turbines,chrome slots,Cragars,wide-OEM with or w/o dog dish,wagon wheels...would have been run back then.Either blackwall or raised white letter.The wheels tended to run wide.You`d see 10x15s all around or the bigs,n,littles look.
There was also the narrow white wall look with all sorts of hubcaps,wheelcovers,or beauty rings.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 06-15-2008 at 08:05 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:16 PM   #6
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
It`s not a matter of opinion or whether someone likes www tires or not.By period correct it means what was done back then.And,even though www tires would have existied in this era,they were not used then on any vehicles from this era.By putting www tires on one of these trucks it brings it into the 20th century because that`s when that style was/is in.
Smoothies & baby moons,chrome reverses with or w/o dog dish,aluminum slots,turbines,chrome slots,Cragars,wide-OEM with or w/o dog dish,wagon wheels...would have been run back then.Either blackwall or raised white letter.The wheels tended to run wide.You`d see 10x15s all around or the bigs,n,littles look.
There was also the narrow white wall look with all sorts of hubcaps,wheelcovers,or beauty rings.
I love the look of 10X15's out back and 7 X15's up front. I am getting old here! Pizza cutters just dont do it for me. Raised white letters. Biggest 60 you could slap on the back of it. Then you always had 70's up front. Gave your vehicle a rake. Always has looked good to me. I plan on putting air shocks on my truck. Once again showing my age! Gives you the Muscle car look. This is what I did to all the A Body GM's I used to drive.

I guess the thing about any white wall tire that turned me off...was when you would see some old people driving down the road...and you know they bought the car with the mags on there...they would go get white walls and have them put on the rims. I never did like that. Black or white letters out look good on mags. To me at least.

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:43 PM   #7
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

the narrow (1" wide) white walls were in around the mid 70's, so rolling a set of 1" white wall bias plies is sort of correct.

however, a bagged C-10 with a set of wide whites and steelies is still wayyyyyy cool!

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:20 PM   #8
exmonkeypunk
Barrito Loco Diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_C-30 View Post
Opinions are nice, but pics are the best way to tell what you like, so here you go. I personally am a fan, even though the WWW craze was a bit earlier than these trucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb-1 View Post
the narrow (1" wide) white walls were in around the mid 70's, so rolling a set of 1" white wall bias plies is sort of correct.

however, a bagged C-10 with a set of wide whites and steelies is still wayyyyyy cool!
Agreed. I cannot get over how awesome this body style can look in so many different spectrums. It makes it difficult to decide which way to go, but i'm surprised at the number of possibilities.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:16 AM   #9
GREASEMONKEY72

i personally love wide whitewall tires and i have them on my truck
Attached Images

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:24 AM   #10
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREASEMONKEY72 View Post
i personally love wide whitewall tires and i have them on my truck
Is that a new door logo I spy???

My trucks

Old 06-16-2008, 12:26 AM   #11
original_balzer

Era correct would be thin white walls raised white letters black walls OR redlines. BUT thats what the masses was doing Im sure there was some people from the 50's being able to buy a new (at the time) vehicle and put WWW's on.

Personally I say if you like the look then by all means go for it. Retro or classic styling is just cool. Now to throw a set of wides on a 86 iroc camaro is just wrong.

Myself, I been thinking about narrow whites 2"or 2 1/2" or bias cheater slicks in a blackwall on my 67 someday. But Im going for an older look either way.
original_balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:40 AM   #12
GREASEMONKEY72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_C-30 View Post
Is that a new door logo I spy???
yeap

Quote:
Originally Posted by original_balzer View Post
Personally I say if you like the look then by all means go for it. Retro or classic styling is just cool. Now to throw a set of wides on a 86 iroc camaro is just wrong.
exactly

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:58 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb-1 View Post

Actually,these trucks were available with narrow whitewalls and almost every full wheelcover truck came with them.They are absolutely correct.
I never saw a truck with www tires until the last few years and I`ve been looking since they were new.When these trucks were new,the`50s guys drove 50s trucks or these trucks with narrow ww tires,full wheelcovers,and the rim painted red.
I`m not knocking the www look,definately not my thing.But,period correct means period correct and that`s how I`ve always built my stuff,whatever year the vehicle is.It`s always been my style and I`m a stickler about it,trend of not.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 06-17-2008 at 08:29 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:19 AM   #14
cdowns

lloks like its going from"era-correct" to "trendy"
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:12 AM   #15
exmonkeypunk
Barrito Loco Diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
lloks like its going from"era-correct" to "trendy"
See, there's a problem. I don't like the look of wide whites because it's trendy. I was into the rat look or kustom look a couple years before it even hit this area. The hardest thing is to come up with a kustom vehicle that is unique in it's own way. I could say that everyone with suicide doors is trendy, but it's not. Wide whites are popular right now, but it doesn't mean it's a trendy thing to do. How many do you see daily? In my town nobody runs em. Not even the guys with the 32' coupes. It bothered me to see that someone mentioned this ride is goin' the "trendy" route. That just tells me i'm asking for too many opinions from people i don't know searching for answers i already know if i'd just trust my instinct. so, with that said. Screw era correct on this truck. It's getting wide whites, but, i promise a different look. Anything but "trendy".
It's in my blood and i will not conform. viva la resistance. haha.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:51 PM   #16
exmonkeypunk
Barrito Loco Diablo

The town i live in is really tiny, sitting off of the second largest city in Illinois.
There's not a whole lot of a "hot rod" scene out here. There's a ton of concours type builds and just a handful of kustoms. Basically, anything you do to an old car around here is gonna get a whole lot of attention. It's factual that our "trends" usually come from what was hot in California a year or five back.
The ricers haven't gotten any better yet, but slowly Kustom rodding is coming around. Hell, people here didn't get into Rockabilly untill a couple years ago. I was a lone soldier for a long time. Things move differently in the midwest.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:46 AM   #17
sickchevy68cst
Rice Killing 101

its more or less a matter of opinion i like the good ole radial raised white lettering on ralleys and then put either smooties or dogdishes on fatty whiteys

Ride:
1968 c20 lwb 327(orig motor)/np435/eaton 4.10 w/posi
puttin in a 496 rebuilding trans need to rebuild diff :|
need to start takin pics and start a project thread
sickchevy68cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:38 AM   #18
exmonkeypunk
Barrito Loco Diablo

So, how does a set of baby moons or caps fit on the rear axle? Mine sticks out pretty a good 3 or 4 inches. Am i gonna have to swap out rear ends? This 8 bolt is making me wonder.

I see what you all are saying. Customizing your vehicle to your own tastes is exactly what to do. I just didn't wanna be the guy rolling around in the iroc with wide white's so to speak.... lol.
After seeing all those pics though, i'm still breathless over how insanely badass it looks. I see this as a breakthrough in the road to modifying. I figure i have another 5 or 6 months to tough out keeping the truck around before i can actually do anything else with it. Hoping for a lottery win or something, cuz, i'm really not wanting to sell it. It's to the point where, if i catch a glimpse of it while i'm doing something outside, i'll get sidetracked staring at it.

Last edited by exmonkeypunk; 06-16-2008 at 01:42 AM.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:54 PM   #19
Shane
Account Suspended

these trucks were never considered "kulture kars" .... they were work trucks.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:55 PM   #20
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Actually these trucks were the first generation of trucks that weren't just a work truck. A/C, tilt, true power steering after '68, deluxe covered door panels, woodgrain accents, padded dashes, padded headliners, bucket seats with the console, etc. were all options that were either very rare or unavailable on trucks until these trucks came out. They were the most car- like truck to ever be produced at the time, and more of these were driven and not worked than any other era of trucks before them. That is part of the reason why these are so much easier to find in nice original condition than the trucks made prior to these. There are about 6 or 7 of these trucks here where I live that are still driven by the original owners, and they have never really been worked in their life. The guys are old men now, but they weren't 40 years ago when they bought the truck.

My trucks

Old 06-16-2008, 08:20 PM   #21
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
these trucks were never considered "kulture kars" .... they were work trucks.

These are not 32 Ford coupes...they are not Woody's...Not 55 to 57 Chevys...But I believe in a way we...this 2 or 3 generations of people on here have turned it into a culture in a way. We all run around and try and buy every piece...every part...every truck we can get our hands on. We all have seen everything under the sun done to these truck. And we have very fine examples of the these trucks right here!

Why do we do this?? To some of us its a way of life...to others its like a sickness...I fall into the sickness category.

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"

Last edited by caminokid; 06-17-2008 at 06:56 AM.
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:32 PM   #22
original_balzer

This thread spawned a convorsation with my dad and I talking about what he remembered during the time these trucks where new. According to him where he grew up here in Utah where there are mountains these trucks where VERY popular with the younger guys at the time. Several of his friends bought these trucks new. My dad clames it seamed to be a 50/50 split with 2wd and 4wd. but Most where half tons.

ANYWAY he said the trendy thing to to to these trucks was hot rod 2wd's bigs and littles redlines and narrow white walls and mag wheels. 4x4's got snow and mud tires and wide wheels and campers or roll bars ect. He even remembers a few at he drag strip.
It seams these trucks where a HUGE deal, being less work and more sport and fun. targeted at a younger generation than trucks from the past.

No real info here just thought it was cool to chat with dad about the past. For the record my dad was a drag race guy with some very cool cars in his past like a 63 impalla SS and a 67 vette roadster, and a race car in the early 70's that was a 30's roadster body on a tube chassis and a SBC. One of the first cars to race bonnevilles roundy round track. And before that at the state fairgrounds dirt circle.
original_balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:29 AM   #23
exmonkeypunk
Barrito Loco Diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by original_balzer View Post
This thread spawned a convorsation with my dad and I talking about what he remembered during the time these trucks where new. According to him where he grew up here in Utah where there are mountains these trucks where VERY popular with the younger guys at the time. Several of his friends bought these trucks new. My dad clames it seamed to be a 50/50 split with 2wd and 4wd. but Most where half tons.

ANYWAY he said the trendy thing to to to these trucks was hot rod 2wd's bigs and littles redlines and narrow white walls and mag wheels. 4x4's got snow and mud tires and wide wheels and campers or roll bars ect. He even remembers a few at he drag strip.
It seams these trucks where a HUGE deal, being less work and more sport and fun. targeted at a younger generation than trucks from the past.

No real info here just thought it was cool to chat with dad about the past. For the record my dad was a drag race guy with some very cool cars in his past like a 63 impalla SS and a 67 vette roadster, and a race car in the early 70's that was a 30's roadster body on a tube chassis and a SBC. One of the first cars to race bonnevilles roundy round track. And before that at the state fairgrounds dirt circle.
That's awesome that you talked with your dad about what people were doing back then. Tips like that are exactly what i'm looking for. I don't really know too many car people face to face, so hearing a story like that is really cool.
The guy that sold me the truck mentioned that at one point, he knew these trucks were a big deal in certain areas.

Now for another question...... Does anyone have any pics of some redlined and thin white wall setups? The redline sounds like it could look nice with the right wheel and body color.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:38 AM   #24
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Yeah pics of redlined please.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:04 PM   #25
semperfidoordie
Fix It Till It's Broke

good post 67 C-30...Chevy claimed these trucks were built to be "womanhandled" in other words softer suspensions...nicer perks like 67 said
Blue Dragon: 72 K-10 SOLD!
The Tank 77 K-10 KIA

panhandler62: Just don't search for "trannys" no matter how hard yours shifts -- you just won't get what you are looking for.

I Made The Official So Cal Board Meet
semperfidoordie is offline   Reply With Quote