The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2008, 09:21 PM   #1
Toddmac

67 Parking light question

Howdy gang,
I have a question about parking lights on our 67...namely the front parking lights. When I put on the parking lights all is well..front and back work fine. When I pull it to the headlight on position, then the front parking lights go off...taillights are fine. I hate wiring and whoever had this truck before us has done some mighty fine wire destruction but we have slowly went thru it.
Is this normal on a 67? I have another wire that was laying there...it's loose and it's hot with lights on, but I haven't a clue where to hook it. Turn signals all work as they should in either position.

Thanks for any help! I do have wiring diagrams and I don't see what's missing if anything.

Todd
Toddmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:08 PM   #2
ERASER5

Re: 67 Parking light question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddmac View Post
Howdy gang,
I have a question about parking lights on our 67...namely the front parking lights. When I put on the parking lights all is well..front and back work fine. When I pull it to the headlight on position, then the front parking lights go off...taillights are fine. I hate wiring and whoever had this truck before us has done some mighty fine wire destruction but we have slowly went thru it.
Is this normal on a 67? I have another wire that was laying there...it's loose and it's hot with lights on, but I haven't a clue where to hook it. Turn signals all work as they should in either position.

Thanks for any help! I do have wiring diagrams and I don't see what's missing if anything.

Todd
Yes. In the early 60's parking lights were for parking, not driving. Search the FAQ. There is a thread on this and it has the locations of the two wires to bond together to make the parks stay on with the headlights.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:10 PM   #3
zerwar
Sgt. Z

Pretty sure they all do that, from the factory. Mine do.
running lights off when headlights are on.

hope that helps ......

Quote:
To deny our own impulses, is to deny the very thing that makes us human~The Matrix
zerwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:41 PM   #4
Toddmac

Heck yeah, that helps a whole bunch! I was going crazy trying to determine what could cause it..LOL I will look for the thread and see about tying them togather..I would like them on with the headlights if possible.

Thanks again guys! Todd
Old 06-30-2008, 11:47 PM   #5
Toddmac

Arggg..I searched the FAQ on parking lights, etc. Got nothing...any tips on what to search for? I am going to keep diggin in the meantime.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:47 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

lol, throws a LOT of 67 owners for a loop.
67 was the last year it worked like this. In 68, federal regulation mandated they stay on with the headlights. (in case you didn't see the headlights I guess?)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:17 AM   #7
Toddmac

I'm finding that out about the 67. I would have searched the issue but I had no idea I was that dumb..LOL In the back of my mind I started to wonder since it all seemed to work so well, but with the hack wiring on this truck, I just figured it had fell victim to the butcher.
I want to get em wired up so they are on with the headlights and then tap the sidemarkers into them.
Now I will tackle my horn issue next...the ol mystery horn issue. It was clicking the relay but now for the last 2 days, nothing is happening. Got to find out if the relay is whacky or the steering wheel is having issues. My turn signal lever is all screwed up so I have a feeling this is part of it. My son will be 16 in two weeks and I'm getting alot of pressure..LOL
Thanks for all the help as always!
Todd
Old 07-01-2008, 12:20 PM   #8
ERASER5

Here ya go. It was in the 60-66 forum. They use the same light switch as the 67.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...parking+lights

Hope this helps. The scotch lock connector is the fastest and easiest method of bonding the wires. Butt connects will be a bit better, but harder to use laying upside down on you floorboard.

Last edited by ERASER5; 07-01-2008 at 12:23 PM. Reason: link did not paste.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:11 AM   #9
Toddmac

Hi,
Thanks, I checked it out and it sounds like more underdash fun is in store. We are still debating the issue..I like them on with the headlights...my son who gets the truck, likes them the way they are. I will prob go with what he wants since this truck goes to him.
He doesn't get to vote on the sidemarkers though..they are going to be wired up to work.
Thanks again! Todd
Old 07-02-2008, 12:52 AM   #10
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddmac View Post
I want to get em wired up so they are on with the headlights and then tap the sidemarkers into them.
If you have a '67, you shouldn't have sidemarkers to tap into....

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:20 PM   #11
Toddmac

I am guessing it's had some fender swapping at some point..someone told my brother that I bought it from that it could be a "late 67"...I don't know about that part yet. It's a small window 67 though.
It's all good though, I like the small window and I like the side markers so we will make the best of it. Hopefully my son will get a job and he can start the process of buying parts. He has big plans for it so I hope it all works out..I remember being 16 and starting on my first camaro. I sold it when I got it where I wanted it and used the money to invest in a big block 69 Camaro that ended up being a blown Prostreet version when it was over...LOL I may be a bad example.