The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2008, 12:21 AM   #1
semperfidoordie
Fix It Till It's Broke

Want Custom Camper History/Info

Just looking for some insight about the Custom Campers. I was wondering about the one I'm buying...it has Factory A/C, PS, radio and two tone interior (which I know was redone) and I was wondering if it would be correct if I wanted to add moldings similar to the Cheyennes on it. I really like the body molding and trim and wanted to add them but didn't want it to look ridiculous if they were never an option in the first place. Any help would be nice. Just curious
Attached Images

Blue Dragon: 72 K-10 SOLD!
The Tank 77 K-10 KIA

panhandler62: Just don't search for "trannys" no matter how hard yours shifts -- you just won't get what you are looking for.

I Made The Official So Cal Board Meet
semperfidoordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:24 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Want Custom Camper History/Info

Any level of truck could have the CustomCamper pkg.It wasn`t a model in itself,but they did offer the fender badge as an option.For instance,I had a CustomCamper/20 that was badged and they were listed as an option.The SPID also said Custom Sport Truck (although it was a`71).It was actually a Cheyenne with no markings to indicate that.Just the features that were only available on Cheyennes and CheyenneSupers.And features that were options on other trucks but not listed on my SPID.
I had a`72 K/20 that was a CheyenneSuper Custom Camper.The badges weren`t optioned so it had CheyenneSuper/20 badges and CustomCamper door scripts.I had another K/20 that was a CustomDeluxe CustomCamper (& Highlander) and,like the CheyenneSuper,didn`t have the badges optioned.So,it said CustomDeluxe/20 on the fender and had CustomCamper scripts on the doors.All three trucks had deluxe two-tone.Only a CheyenneSuper would have upper mouldings on a solid color truck as standard.I had a friend with a`71 CustomCamper/20 at the same time I had mine.His had the fender badges optioned and was a Custom/20 with the deluxe two-tone option.So,it was pretty basic yet looked about the same as mine with black lower mouldings and just not as nice an interior.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:33 AM   #3
prairewolf

I just baught a 67 CST custum camper, 3/4 ton, buddy bucket seat truck.
when my Wife helps me upload pictures I will post them soon.. CST door badges and Custom Camper fender badges. ....... believed to be mostly all stock.
prairewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:38 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Hey,that makes three that were know of,now.1st it was Barepaint`s and he made a challenge to find another,a year or two ago.Then,this spring a newer member,Clean67,came on that has one.Your`s makes #3.They definately are rare.Nice find!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 07-09-2008, 03:25 PM   #5
semperfidoordie
Fix It Till It's Broke

So any idea of what level of trim mine is?
The Tank 77 K-10 KIA

panhandler62: Just don't search for "trannys" no matter how hard yours shifts -- you just won't get what you are looking for.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:34 PM   #6
chrislehr
Engine n00b

Can you get a better SPID pic?
chrislehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:01 PM   #7
semperfidoordie
Fix It Till It's Broke

Not right now. I'm out in Iraq right now and getting home in a few weeks so till I get home no I can read it so do you need me to write it all down would that help?
The Tank 77 K-10 KIA

Old 07-09-2008, 04:08 PM   #8
chrislehr
Engine n00b

Either that, or host a full resolution pic of that somewhere and link us to it, might make that more readable..
chrislehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:18 PM   #9
semperfidoordie
Fix It Till It's Broke

uhh here's the link to the pics http://picasaweb.google.com/Chris.Schutt/69ChevyC20 but like I said I just pull it up and zoom in and I can read it if you wanted me to list the options
The Tank 77 K-10 KIA

Old 07-09-2008, 05:38 PM   #10
special-K
Special Order

It`s a Custom/20,the mid-range for 69/70.

Tim

Old 07-09-2008, 05:53 PM   #11
semperfidoordie
Fix It Till It's Broke

oh okay...thanks Tim. Do you have any links that breakdown each model?
The Tank 77 K-10 KIA

Old 07-09-2008, 08:13 PM   #12
special-K
Special Order

No.But,the69/70 Customs are like a 71/72 Custom Deluxe.
Basically...
69/70 C/10=71/72 Custom/10:vinyl seat/steel door panels,rubber mat,plain dash knobs/pedals/window gaskets,no mouldings.
69/70 Custom/10=71/72 Custom Deluxe:scrolled vinyl & cloth seat/scrolled door panels,rubber mat,trimmed dash knobs/pedals/and window gaskets,black lower mouldings and upper/lower tailgate trim.
69/70 CST=71/72 Cheyenne:scroll vinyl seat/door panels/headliner,carpet,trimmed dash knobs/pedals/window gaskets,woodgrain lower mouldings and tailgate band/upper trim.
71/72 Cheyenne Super:upper and lower mouldings,woodgrain dash,trimmed tailgate handle in addition to the CST/Cheyenne features.

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 07-09-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:19 PM   #13
semperfidoordie
Fix It Till It's Broke

So to make it a true Custom/20 I'd have to add the mouldings on the body and tailgate? Do you have any non photobucket pics of that? Cause photobucket doesn't load at work
The Tank 77 K-10 KIA

Old 07-09-2008, 08:39 PM   #14
factorystock

There were 3 trim levels in 1969. The standard, the custom and the CST. It looks like the custom model to me.The Custom camper could be had with any level. Is it the photo or my eyes? It looks like somebody painted the grill silver the front bumper silver and the instrument panel silver.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:46 PM   #15
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

the custom camper was a fairly lame option package. all it included was HD tires, shocks, springs/or overloads, and a front sway bar.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:53 PM   #16
semperfidoordie
Fix It Till It's Broke

I think they did paint it. Not entirely sure I'd have to ask the guy.

And Andy thanks as always for the encouragement lol i was asking if adding the trim like side moldings etc would make it look entirely ridiculous or not?
The Tank 77 K-10 KIA

Old 07-09-2008, 09:07 PM   #17
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

LOL... my bad man. By the time i looked at all the responses... I kinda got sidetracked.
I'll blame Tim.
The upper and lower trim were both avalible with or without any option package at all. So even if you didn't make it a cheyenne clone, you could put it on there and still be correct.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:09 PM   #18
semperfidoordie
Fix It Till It's Broke

haha thanks it's all good man. I was just giving you a hard time. So I know i'm like a freaking stream of unending questions but which trim is correct? Like have any pics of what it should look like? And how is it attached?
The Tank 77 K-10 KIA

Old 07-09-2008, 10:31 PM   #19
factorystock

Here is a Custom Camper with just the lower moulding option. I like the simple straight line styling of the lower moulding and it would be much easier to install.
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2008, 10:34 PM   #20
special-K
Special Order

^That looks about like how your truck would have looked,in a`70 model.It`s a Custom/20

I was listing what is standard "with" each trim level.There are more included features I didn`t mention and,of course,other things could be optioned.I gave clues to tell what a truck started as even after alot of changes.Not that that stuff couldn`t be changed by now.
We all know how Andy feels about CustomCampers.But...I don`t consider the Custom Camper package lame.It`s one of my favorites.Although it didn`t include alot,it was a base for a great truck.Like most trucks you just add what you want.But,it`s the only nameplate offered to ID a truck for an intended use.Like the W/T package offered in recent years.It`s like an SS car.You could have a badder Biscayne than an Impala SS.But,most SSs were ordered with performance stuff on top of the SS appearance package.It`s just cool that GM offered an ID for an RV oriented truck.Trucks for leisure was a new notion.Since GM had an arrangement with Open Road for factory campers I guess they wanted a truck to appear to have been intended to be a camper from the start.I have found some of the nicest trucks that are CustomCampers.They had low miles and good bodies,as well as great options because they were ordered for power and comfort as well as only used on vacations.Very well taken care of beloved trucks.That`s what a custom Camper is to me.

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 07-09-2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:46 PM   #21
semperfidoordie
Fix It Till It's Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
^That looks about like how your truck would have looked,in a`70 model.It`s a Custom/20

I was listing what is standard "with" each trim level.There are more included features I didn`t mention and,of course,other things could be optioned.I gave clues to tell what a truck started as even after alot of changes.Not that that stuff couldn`t be changed by now.
We all know how Andy feels about CustomCampers.But...I don`t consider the Custom Camper package lame.It`s one of my favorites.Although it didn`t include alot,it was a base for a great truck.Like most trucks you just add what you want.But,it`s the only nameplate offered to ID a truck for an intended use.Like the W/T package offered in recent years.It`s like an SS car.You could have a badder Biscayne than an Impala SS.But,most SSs were ordered with performance stuff on top of the SS appearance package.It`s just cool that GM offered an ID for an RV oriented truck.Trucks for leisure was a new notion.Since GM had an arrangement with Open Road for factory campers I guess they wanted a truck to appear to have been intended to be a camper from the start.I have found some of the nicest trucks that are CustomCampers.They had low miles and good bodies,as well as great options because they were ordered for power and comfort as well as only used on vacations.Very well taken care of beloved trucks.That`s what a custom Camper is to me.
Hey Tim,
that was real well put about the Custom Campers. I really like the full decked out trim that comes on some of these models. Now honestly till I found this one I hadn't heard of a Custom Camper which is why I'm so filled with crazy newbie questions. Basically the whole trim all around I want is like this pic. But I don't know what it's called to order it and even if I could put it on there without it look crazy out of place
Attached Images

The Tank 77 K-10 KIA

Old 07-09-2008, 10:35 PM   #22
semperfidoordie
Fix It Till It's Broke

now that's a sexy Custom Camper
The Tank 77 K-10 KIA

Old 07-09-2008, 11:04 PM   #23
factorystock

When the Custom Camper was first introduced in mid '65 and '66, it was not a " lame package". It included the custom comfort options and the custom appearance options. It was GM's choice in '67 to turn it into a "lame package" and just gave you basically a heavy duty suspension without the glitz that was standard in '65 and '66. After 1966, it was up to the buyer to build it up to fit there needs and wants.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:08 PM   #24
semperfidoordie
Fix It Till It's Broke

okay disregard that pic of trim on my last post. I found the ideal package i'm looking for. now what's this level of trim called like cause I know I can buy it from LMC and others just need to know the name of it. This also is a 69 Custom Camper and a neat story

Custom Camper Story
Attached Images

The Tank 77 K-10 KIA

Old 07-09-2008, 11:13 PM   #25
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

That is Custom/10, CST/ or Cheyenne level of trim, but that;s not not how you'll buy it. What you will see in a catalog is '69-'72 upper molding and '69 - 72 lower molding. You will have to specify that you want it for a LWB. As for the rear, you can choose between taillights bezels, upper and lower, w. No tail gate band or taillight bezels and a tailgate trim with CHEVROLET lettering. The first option is Custom/10 and the second is CST or Cheyenne.
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote