The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2008, 11:36 PM   #1
shifty
Questionable

plasma cutter questions

so, while working on my frame, i can't tell you how many times i've told myself..."damn, i could really use a plasma cutter". i've even said it about things around the house.

i gotta ask: if you are only going to use your plasma cutter a couple dozen times, do you really need to spend 4x as much on a name brand, or can you just buy a "decent enough" import brand that has a "generally acceptable" quality rating?

i ask, because i started looking around. it's tough to get a 220v cutter for less than $1k. i found these Hobart 110v refurb units for $600 shipped: http://cgi.ebay.com/HOBART-AIRFORCE-...QQcmdZViewItem

i found these imported units (that actually use good name-brand MOSFETs) for around $400 shipped:

http://cgi.ebay.com/EVERLAST-CUT50D-...QQcmdZViewItem

(there are a couple from this seller)

i am curious to get feedback from you guys and gals because, well, i trust your opinion. literally - i am only going to use it to cut on my frame, which is what, 3/16" mild steel?

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 08-05-2008 at 11:37 PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:02 AM   #2
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Re: plasma cutter questions

Bump for ya
I'm curious too

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:37 AM   #3
Mickey_D
Dirteh Kitteh

The weakest link in the import (cheaper) models are the tips. Change it out for a quality one and you'll probably never notice the difference.

1955 Willys CJ-5 all original and the oldest CJ-5 on the road.
2001 Dodge Neon (wife's car)
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Edition SOLD
1981 K15 Custom Deluxe 4X4, rusty but trusty wood hauler. SOLD
1993 S-10 4X4 Tahoe SOLD

RIP ESLL
Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
GiantTechGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post
The weakest link in the import (cheaper) models are the tips. Change it out for a quality one and you'll probably never notice the difference.

With most all of the Chinese import machines you will not be able to CHANGE the tips out for any name brand ones.
Most of the Chinese machines come with Chinese torches.
Hope this helps, Larry
GiantTechGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:27 AM   #5
Shane
Account Suspended

I have an import (Italian) plasma and it works great ... purchased it off ebay about 8-9 years ago and it's still going strong. It cost me approx $600-$650 shipped. Mine will cut up to 3/8" - 5/16" thick which is plenty for my needs.

my one bit of advice is MAKE SURE your air is clean and dry and like Mickey already stated, use good consumables and you should be fine.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #6
shifty
Questionable

what are "quality" tips? is there a brand you would recommend? i know nothing about plasma cutting.

it sounds like you use gas (a tank) with this that has oxygen or another gas in it. do you use an inline drier valve between the tank and the housing?

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:35 PM   #7
Shane
Account Suspended

no gas at all ... compressed air and electricity only ... esab makes quality replacement parts for most plasma cutters
Old 08-16-2008, 12:39 AM   #8
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
no gas at all ... compressed air and electricity only ... esab makes quality replacement parts for most plasma cutters

i can't figure out how much PSI is required. my 15-20gal compressor kinda sucks, and i'm not sure if it's enough. the Everlast Cut40D i purchased, and this Lotos Cut40D (in the Youtube video) appear to be the same kind of thing - an Esab or Riland clone. here is a Youtube video of some guy using one of the Lotos 40A units:
so, since I never said, i wound up buying the Everlast Cut40D $270 + an exorbitant $90 shipping (i'd feel better paying $300 + $60 shipping, seems a little more fair).

shipped same day i bought it - service was really good. no communication from the seller (above and beyond giving a tracking number), but does anyone need more than that? nah. it shipped same day, and, seirously that is great service, in my book.

unit arrived today, it looks pretty good, was really, really well packed. the logo on the side doesn't look like the auction pictures, but otherwise everything is the same.

my only single gripe so far is the manual SUCKS MY BUTT - it's written in really bad "engrish" (chinese translated poorly to english) - and it didn't come with any wiring instructions (you gotta wire on your own plug), all of the units (voltage, pressures, etc.) are values that are printed in metric!!

here is an excerpt from the manual which talks about the unit, check out the engrish:

Quote:
Congratulations for your purchase.

CUT30, CUT40, CUT50, CUT60 are made by international most advantaged invert technical.50Hz/60/Hz frequency is inverted to high frequency(frequency is over 100KHz)by V-MOSFET, then step down voltate and rectification current, inverter power supply generates powerful DC welding current through PWM technical
i read in the seller feedback that they have worked out a new manual, and i read on another welding forum that some EVERLAST_SUPPORT person was saying that a new manual existed (or was being proofed) in June 2008, so i emailed the seller/tech line to ask for the manual

i need to know how to wire and how much PSI is required, and figure out how to hook up my compressor to this thing (drier valve required?)

once that's done, i can test to see if it's DOA, since apparently this happens with a lot of the lesser-known brand plasma cutters on eBay tend to arrive DOA for whatever reason. they claim "free replacement" if the unit is DOA. i have a sneaky suspicion i would be required to pay shipping one-way if the unit is DOA (knowing my luck).

if everything works out, it will be kickass. i will definitely report back to you guys, cause i know some of you guys are definitely interested.

oh - and the price went up on these things in the last week, apparently.

Last edited by shifty; 08-16-2008 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:41 AM   #9
Mickey_D
Dirteh Kitteh

One thing to remember is to follow the duty cycle, otherwise your cuts will go all screwy once the power transformer heats up too much.

1955 Willys CJ-5 all original and the oldest CJ-5 on the road.
2001 Dodge Neon (wife's car)
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Edition SOLD
1981 K15 Custom Deluxe 4X4, rusty but trusty wood hauler. SOLD
1993 S-10 4X4 Tahoe SOLD

RIP ESLL
Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:22 PM   #10
shifty
Questionable

i ended up buying this one: http://cm.ebay.com/cm/ck/1065-29392-...m=220264291674

$360 shipped. will let y'all know how it turns out.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:35 AM   #11
shifty
Questionable

just found out they have a website with my product... http://everlastgenerators.com/produc...ils.php?id=315

and they have a forum dedicated to support of their products...
http://weldingweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

unfortunately, support section doesn't have any links to a manual page that i can find.

and also noticed that it takes ~65-75PSI range @ 3CFM, roughly. i'm probably only going to be able to cut a 5" line, then hafta stop, wait for the compressor to fill up, rinse, repeat.

i also just read that they will send you a DHL label if unit is DOA, and will gladly replace within the first year of ownership, and have done so in several instances, even when it is the user's fault.

can't wait to get this thing going ... and might wind up going and buying a better compressor this weekend, better to do it while the wife is on vacation with her mom

Old 08-16-2008, 10:44 AM   #12
Shane
Account Suspended

I run mine at approx. 80-90 psi ... compressor is an 80 gallon but I'm not sure on the CFM
Old 08-16-2008, 11:55 AM   #13
shifty
Questionable

I'm looking at buying a new compressor today, either way. Probably get a 60gal. Husky 60-gal (oiled) seems to be best bang for buck I can find right now.

Mine is old and tired, and this is a great excuse to get one. I really shouldn't, but ...

Last edited by shifty; 08-16-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:15 PM   #14
shifty
Questionable

i decided to hold off on the compressor. i'll just use the one i got. i need to save the money for other stuff

Old 08-16-2008, 05:22 PM   #15
Shane
Account Suspended

This vertical 80 gallon Ingersol-Rand from Tractor Supply is a helluva deal ... alot of compressor for the money.

Last edited by Shane; 08-16-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:36 PM   #16
shifty
Questionable

Northern Tool has the 60-gallon 220v compressor for $599 shipped, if i remember right. someone posted about it in the auto body forum.

i'm tempted, but i only wired one 220v outlet in my garage, with a NEMA50p plug for the welder...i don't feel like wiring another 220v outlet!

but yeah. i would rather buy the IR 60gal then the Husky 60gal, if it's only ~$80 more. i would rather have an oiled unit than oil-free also.

Last edited by shifty; 08-16-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:53 AM   #17
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
i would rather buy the IR 60gal then the Husky 60gal, if it's only ~$80 more. i would rather have an oiled unit than oil-free also.
The Husky is oiled. And it's cast-iron. $449.... It's what I have, works great, very quiet. Link
When shopping, make sure it's single phase 220/240 for home current.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
Old 08-19-2008, 10:47 PM   #18
teeitup
Just like to part out trucks!!

Shifty, GREAT thread, I've been thinking on one of these. I just bought accetelyne and oxygen for my big torch and also some for my small tote torch and it was $160, wow I'm tired of that. I have a compressor like Shane showed you, its a good one. Great thread again!!! Thanks Randy
1958 Cameo (one of 1405 built, it was my dads)
2020 chevy Apex 4x4 crew cab
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS
1976 K20, sold new originally out of my dads chevy dealership

Members that I've met, over 200 probably closer to 300 in the 12 years I've been on this site, everyone I met "It was a pleasure"
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:12 PM   #19
Shane
Account Suspended

don't worry so much about the gallon of the tank ... you're money is going towards the CFM ...
Old 08-20-2008, 03:39 PM   #20
rambler
MOVE OVER

So have you used it yet?? I'm curious as well
Old 08-20-2008, 11:22 PM   #21
shifty
Questionable

i still haven't gotten a manual yet i better call this guy and ask him wtf is up. he obviously isn't responding to email.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:48 PM   #22
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
i still haven't gotten a manual yet i better call this guy and ask him wtf is up. he obviously isn't responding to email.
Im buyin one of these bad boys as soon as you verify it cuts through our frames easily......

You cant seem to wire it? Post up pics of what needs to be wired. Shouldnt be any harder then wiring a compressor....
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #23
fine69

I have that Hobart model.

It sorta sucks.

If i had to buy another one i would spend more money.

Board member #6

fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:01 PM   #24
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I have that Hobart model.

It sorta sucks.

If i had to buy another one i would spend more money.
In what way? Not enough air, you have good tips?? What makes it suck.. info please. I was thinkin of gettin a hobart.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:14 PM   #25
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

shifty, ya makin' any progress, buddy?