The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2008, 11:46 AM   #1
powerline84
Greasemonkey

disc brake conversion question

First off let me appologize because i know there are a million threads i am sure on this topic lol. I bought my truck of ebay(deployed) and its being stored at my dads house. So his lucky as gets to drive it everyday lol. Its cool though because when he gets bored he works on it...plus for me. Anyways its got power drum brakes all around and he says it doesnt stop very well. Since i plan on using it as a daily driver and i am stationed in dc i am going to need it to stop. It has 18 inch rims on it, so i am concerned that the standard front disc brake conversions offered by like gmc pauls and cpp arent going to be good enough. Does anyone make a performance big brake front disc conversion. Anyrecommendations as to what kit i should get? i know the gmc pauls and cpp kits are like 600..i am just looking for some help to make the right descision. thanks

My Baby
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3113923
powerline84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
steelhorse

Re: disc brake conversion question

Cpp has a new modular brake system that may be a little larger than stock.I know several companies sell kits with 12 inch 2 1/4 rotors and offer dual piston/drilled and slotted upgrades.You could also get a 4 wheel disc brake kit that should dramatically reduce your braking distance.If money is no object you could try Baer brakes.
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
chris71

Re: disc brake conversion question

stainless steel brake corp. (SSB) has high end stuff like Baer, Wilwood is another big company, i agree with you on needing to upgrade, DC traffic is the pits, plus with larger rims like you have, you have more rolling mass to stop, which is harder to stop than if you lets say just put more pounds of wieght in the back of the bed. I have heard some guys that converted to the rear disk say that they have not felt much difference in overall braking, remember that your rear brakes only do like 40% or so of the braking, it may be more worth your money to just upgrade your front to bigger rotors and maybe a 2 or more piston setup, you dont need a crazy 6 piston job, just something a little better than stock, if i understand what you want. the rear brakes are already the bigger drums anyway, if you had some leadsled with a 10 bolt rear and the smaller drums, that would be a little different, get ready to break out the checkbook, these kinda kits aint cheap.
'71 C10 long-bed fleetside
'83 long-haired brunette wife
chris71 is offline   Reply With Quote