The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2008, 11:50 PM   #1
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

Need help

I have been having problems keeping my power steering belt on my 70 chevy lately, the power steering pump sticks out a smidgen more (1/16" at most) than it should for some reason. I shimmed the outer crank shaft pulley with washers to get it lined up a little better and that worked accept at high rpms occasionally. I just installed a three pulley crank shaft and water pump system and do not want to shim it out as it will cause the other grove to be off by a bit. So my question is can I run my power steering using both my crankshaft and water pump pulleys? I have never seen it done but don't know why it would hurt. I am hoping buy running it on a longer belt and with three pulleys instead of two it will be less likely to keep flying off. Thanks in advance for any help, I am getting tired of driving it as my daily driver with a 15" steering wheel and no power steering, maybe I will have to go back to the captains wheel it came with if I cant figure this one out.

Here is a link to a previous thread with pictures and more explanation of my on going problem.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=302190
Old 09-02-2008, 11:58 PM   #2
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Re: Need help

It looks like your PS pump bracket is bent.
The outboard side of the PS pump pulley is off more than the inboard side.

I have the same problem with my '72 BB. I just put a "necker" (suicide) knob on the steering wheel and drive without power steering for the time being. Parallel parking is out of the question!

A friend of mine gave me a bracket/pump assembly off a BB he had. All I need is the time. (Don't we all?)

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:04 AM   #3
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

That is what I thought too when I looked back at that picture (must be the angle of the photo), but I put a torpedo level on it and rotated the power steering pulley around and it maintained the same relationship with the crank pulley all the way around.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:09 AM   #4
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by lts70 View Post
That is what I thought too when I looked back at that picture (must be the angle of the photo), but I put a torpedo level on it and rotated the power steering pulley around and it maintained the same relationship with the crank pulley all the way around.
If only the bracket is bent, the angle, or relationship, between the 2 pulleys won't change.

Stand at the side of the fender and look across both pulleys and you'll probably be able to see the "angle" that the pump is off a little better than from the top.

I'm still trying to figure out how the heck ya bend a PS pump bracket.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:13 AM   #5
Keep on Trucking

Did'int read your whole other post, but did see one picture of the belt on a pulley. It looks like the belt is to thick as it is raised above the pulley. You can buy thiner belts and the belt will sit down in the pulley more. I have seen it work a bunch of times.
If the angle of the pulley/s are off to much it won't matter what belt you run.

"Life is tough, its tougher if you are stupid" (John Wayne)

My buddys truck for sale here.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...p?product=2676
Keep on Trucking is offline   Reply With Quote