The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
berencam

so i think i really do have a target on me...

I go downstairs tonight and find a 90's model gmc kissing the rearend of my 70 pickup. I didnt find the driver, and the cops came and said the truck was not stolen. So once again im sol with no insurance on my truck and no insurance on the other truck. The good news is, there was little damage. just a dent on the back where the lights are and looks like it made some shotty body work show through also.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2008, 10:15 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: so i think i really do have a target on me...

-
So, whoever hit it needs to pay for fixing it insurance or no.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:19 PM   #3
Boog
laying low

Well alright. Latch onto the 90 model truck and wait until someone comes to claim it. If they don't, well, sell it for scrap or something.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:18 PM   #4
70cst

WOW...At least this time it was minor and no one got hurt.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:27 PM   #5
berencam

The cops said that since there was no driver present, unless the owner just fesses up to it basically im screwed. Because they have to prove he was driving it and there was no witnesses. Not to mention they have no idea where the guy is.

Last edited by berencam; 09-04-2008 at 10:31 PM.
berencam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:28 PM   #6
berencam

And they impounded the pickup already. I wish i coulda kept the truck, it was a z71 off road 4wd ext cab
Old 09-04-2008, 10:30 PM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I would chain the perp's 90 what ever to my truck, 2 or 3 chains, and lock them. Then get someone else's car... or another one you may own, and block him in.
You being uninsured is not an issue in this incident. He hit you and fled. The cop shoulda been doing something about that.
He was either drunk, high, no op permit, or uninsured too. Either way, no matter what, he should be required by law to repair your truck, and answer to the law for the hit and run.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:31 PM   #8
Longhorn Man

i took to long to type that out.
I guess you're screwed.
You should probably find out about the hit and run laws in your area, and find out what the owner's responsibility is in the situation. If it wasn't stolen, and he wasn't driving it, then he knows who had it.

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 09-04-2008 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:35 PM   #9
berencam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
i took to long to type that out.
I guess you're screwed.
You should probably find out about the hit and run laws in your area, and find out what the owner's responsibility is in the situation. If it wasn't stolen, and he wasn't driving it, then he knows who had it.
Thats what im hoping, that its his responsibility regardless since its registered to him.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:41 PM   #10
Longhorn Man

If he was insured... talk to the insurance company... since it was his car that was insured, and not the driver, then they may still be responsible. Depends on how your laws are written.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:37 AM   #11
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

I swear, Dude, you're worse than I in the "If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all" department!!!!!!

Good luck.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:00 AM   #12
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Looks like you're going to get the bum deal...

But I have to ask...do you drive uninsured?
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:45 AM   #13
berencam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Looks like you're going to get the bum deal...

But I have to ask...do you drive uninsured?
Never, the truck is still being overhauled. so i don't even have comprehensive, which i wish i did now.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:46 AM   #14
whatnow123

If it happened on private property which it most likely did, there isn't really anything much the PD can do. Particulary with dollar value being so low from the damage.

Build thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=219094
whatnow123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:31 AM   #15
Keep on Trucking

This does not apply to you as you do not have insurance. Did you know if you call your own insurance Co about a wreck and it is the other driver fault your insurance co will still put it in your record as a "claim".

"Life is tough, its tougher if you are stupid" (John Wayne)

My buddys truck for sale here.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...p?product=2676
Keep on Trucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:47 AM   #16
watahyahknow

buy one of those cheap survalancecams hang it outside pointed at the parked trucks and hook it up to a slow recording vcr with should it happen again you have video proof that this and that vehicle was involved .
still you would be better off insured

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:28 AM   #17
wHATANERD

That sucks, hope everything works out for you.

Old Chevy's Never Die, They Just Rust Around The Edges
wHATANERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:20 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

The owner of the other vehicle is responsible for damages no matter what.There is no law written under our wonderful constitution that gives someone permission to damage your property and not be responsible.No witness necessary.You and the cop saw the cause of your damage.It doesn`t matter how it happened.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 09-05-2008 at 05:22 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:11 AM   #19
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
The owner of the other vehicle is responsible for damages no matter what.There is no law written under our wonderful constitution that gives someone permission to damage your property and not be responsible.No witness necessary.You and the cop saw the cause of your damage.It doesn`t matter how it happened.
This is true. I got hounded when the owner of a car I sold didn't transfer it...got in a wreck...and it was still in my name.
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:54 AM   #20
WIDESIDE72

If he was insured... talk to the insurance company... since it was his car that was insured, and not the driver, then they may still be responsible.

Original post states that the other truck did not have insurance:

So once again im sol with no insurance on my truck and no insurance on the other truck. The good news is, there was little damage. just a dent on the back where the lights are and looks like it made some shotty body work show through also.

Unfortunately, your only recourse is to file a civil suit against the registered owner of the truck that caused the damage. GREAT NEWS!!!You will almost certainly win!!! BAD NEWS!!! The lawyer will probably cost more than the cost to fix the truck AND If they did not have money for insurance, they probably don't have money to pay a judgement.

If it happened on private property which it most likely did, there isn't really anything much the PD can do. Particulary with dollar value being so low from the damage.

BINGO!!!

I know this sucks, but our laws SUCK when it comes to this. If it makes you feel any better, I will tell you about what happened to my brother in law a couple of yrs ago. He was cruising down the street on his old Harley in front of his house, about four blocks away, doing 25- 30 mph. He sees a Ford F250 4x4 coming out from a driveway at a daycare on his right. The truck stops at the driveway, the B.I.L. lets off the gas a little but figures they see him. About the time he is 20 ft away, the F250 pulls out anyway. By this time, he does not have time to lay the bike down, so he swerves right, hits the truck, mangles his left leg between the truck and his bike, breaking his leg. He whacks hid head/ helmet on the fender/ hood of the truck hard enough to leave a big dent in the truck. Bike is TOTALED, still sitting in his garage, since he had only liability insurance and did not have uninsured motorist coverage. Driver has license, no proof of "CURRENT" insurance. Gives cop the expired insurance card, claims he can't find his current card. B.I.L is getting loaded into anbulance. Cops right him a ticket for no insurancce AND LET HIM DRIVE AWAY (HUH?). BIL threatens to get out of ambulance and whip somebody's ass, broken leg and all. After 2 days in hospital, 3 wks on crutches, 3 months of physical therapy. BIL is back to normal. After the accident, they hire a lawyer. the lawyer finds out status of loser not having insurance, come to find out, loser must have went down to a quickie insurance co. and got coverage and a card, right after the accident. the next AM after the accident, he proceeds down to the police station with the NEW card and they dismiss the no insurance/ proof of insurance ticket. (Side note: Here in TEXAS, it is against the law to not have CURRENT PROOF of insurance with you at all times, so we cannot figure that part out...) A few days later, loser then proceeds to cancel insurance, )probably since the rates for a loser like him with a bunch of wrecks and license suspensions in his past are too high for him to pay.) BIL files civil charges, wins, loser has nothing, so unless loser wins the lottery, BIL will never see a dime. BIL's wife (my wife's sister) says if she finds out that BIL took a tire iron to the guys head,she will leave and take the kids. Welcome to the real world, good or not. LOSER should have gone straight to jail after accident, but laws are not like that in Texas.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:22 AM   #21
watahyahknow

this isn't good news when people get away with this because then they think : whell no need for insurance because noone can touch me untill they make someone cripple for life .
over here in the netherlands the insurance and the roadtax is coupled to the licenceplate of the car and the database with all the cars get screened constantly top to bottom of the list if you haven't suspended the car from the road (as in standing on private propperty or in a barn not driving it ever ) and are not insured or payed roadtax or haven't been to the yearly checkup on time the bill will be send to youre house automaticly and there high like 180 euro high thats 3 times the price of the insurance and roadtax together .
if you pull a redlight and get flashed they check if youre insured if the vehicle has had its yearly checkup and all the other things and if not you get thye same ticket on top of the fellony

basicly in the netherlands everyone has insurance or doesnt drive

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:07 PM   #22
BarryB

Drunk, stoned, or an illegal alien!
That doesn't make since. the owner of the truck is responsible for damages weather or not he was driving it or not.
The "LAW" sure will write the owner of a car, a ticket when "THE CAR" that was caught on camera running a redlight or something. They can't prove the owner was driving the car either. So where is the justice here?????? Oh but you'd better pay the ticket or they'll take the car's owner DL away.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:45 PM   #23
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I'd at least get some kind of lien put on the vehicle even though the impound lot will, too. If the police report showed it wasn't stolen, then you can bet that the registered owner knows who was in possession of it, or should have known.

From what I saw in Branson, it ain't like the cops have a lot to do. Most everybody I saw is law-abiding. They really oughta help out a resident. Shame on them for not doing that for you. I'm guessing they didn't even tell you who owned it...?

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:05 PM   #24
Boog
laying low

Yeah, the cops there keep a REALLY low profile. Don't want to interupt the flow of tourist dollars ya know.
No more damage than there is to your truck Cory they aren't going to be much concerned about it. Might be different if the truck was already finished out.

have ya ever give thought to buyin an old sherman tank for a cruiser?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:32 PM   #25
nbroady

Quote:
Originally Posted by berencam View Post
Thats what im hoping, that its his responsibility regardless since its registered to him.
Did the police officially write a report or just come out and survey the damage? if so the PR should have the registered owner of the truck on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by berencam View Post
Never, the truck is still being overhauled. so i don't even have comprehensive, which i wish i did now.
couple pointers since I work for an insurance company... for future reference comprehensive wouldn't have covered this because it involved another vehicle so it would only be covered if you had collision coverage or the at fault party carried liability at the very least. Comprehensive insurance covers damage to your car if it is stolen; or damaged by flood, fire, or animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
Unfortunately, your only recourse is to file a civil suit against the registered owner of the truck that caused the damage. GREAT NEWS!!!You will almost certainly win!!! BAD NEWS!!! The lawyer will probably cost more than the cost to fix the truck AND If they did not have money for insurance, they probably don't have money to pay a judgment.
being that the damage is low you can go through small claims court should you chose if you get the information for the owner of the truck that hit you. There's ways you can recover the money for the damages... where was your truck parked? In your driveway or on the street?

hit & run drivers SUCK!!
nbroady is offline   Reply With Quote