The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2008, 09:31 PM   #1
Security guy

Big block motor mount help

O.K. guys, i need a little help here. I'm not sure how to explain this. I've got a '71 Short fleet that had a small block and 3 speed in it. I took it out and i'm putting in a 402 and 700r4. The po had welded newer style motor mounts to the frame to install the small block. It fit fine and was running when i got ahold of it. The big block will not fit in the small block location now. I think the po had welded the mounts back to far. The mounts needed to come forward about 3 inches or so. I cant get the 402 back further towards the firewall and its not even close to resting on the mounts. Do i need to cut off the po's mounts? I see some people are using tubular mounts that look pretty cool, but where are they getting them from? I would like the original ones, but the po welded up the holes for the mounting, and i can't see spending alot of $$ for factory style mounts. I wish i'd took a pic to explain this a little better, but didn't have my camera. Here's a pic of them before i tried to put the motor in so you can see what they look like. Thanks for any help!!Name:  re01.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  85.6 KB
Security guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:52 PM   #2
chevy72blu

Re: Big block motor mount help

Ok, I cant tell exactly from the pic. But, it looks like he welded (wtf..?) the top of the mount somewhere between the two factory mounting holes.

The rear holes are for mounting I6's, but are somewhat frequently used for mounting SBC's. I thought a lot about trying to use the rear holes on my 496 project, but that is some serious work.

It looks to me like you have 73-87 SBC towers which will work just fine. There is a faq on the board about how to convert them. I'll look it up for you if you like.

I used them on my 72, and it worked, but I wasnt happy with the result at all. The motor sat a few inches too high and up at a slight angle

I've since bought the correct 72 only mounts incase I ever want to sell it.

You can get 67-71 BBC mounts and towers quite cheap.

you asked about these:
ttp://www.performanceonline.com/sto...cat=455&page=1

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e

Last edited by chevy72blu; 09-13-2008 at 11:06 PM.
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:11 PM   #3
Security guy

Thanks for the pics. Mine looks very similiar to yours, only mine look like they were welded in the I6 position for whatever reason. Looks like i'll be grinding off some welds tomorrow. Thanks for the info on the tubular mounts also. I've gotta decide on which way to go now. By the way, what is the difference between small block mounts and big block? Does the big block sit lower in the frame? Can i use small block mounts with the big block?

Last edited by Security guy; 09-13-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Security guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:44 AM   #4
Ozona
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Security guy View Post
Thanks for the pics. Mine looks very similiar to yours, only mine look like they were welded in the I6 position for whatever reason. Looks like i'll be grinding off some welds tomorrow. Thanks for the info on the tubular mounts also. I've gotta decide on which way to go now. By the way, what is the difference between small block mounts and big block? Does the big block sit lower in the frame? Can i use small block mounts with the big block?
I used the Performance Online dot com tubular big block mounts. They're very well thought out, and fit perfect. Very satisfied, and they're urethane vs. rubber, too.
Ozona is offline   Reply With Quote