The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
cfranklin013

Wood bed idea ?

Has any one ever used composite decking as a bed floor ? If so I would like to see pics and get some info about what brand and size . The only thing I can find is 7/8 thick . I believe the original is 3/4 thick, correct me if im wrong. I would like to go grey floor to match the interior . Let me know what yall think .
cfranklin013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:21 PM   #2
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

Re: Wood bed idea ?

Good idea!
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:36 PM   #3
pezzy

You mean something like "trex" stuff? That would never need any care that's for sure. The only thing I'd be woried about is flex when it gets hot. I have a deck made of Trex and when it gets pretty hot it starts to have a bit of flex to it, like you can feel it dip as you step on it. Me and my father actually went through and added more braces underneath the deck to solve this problem. Just something you might want to consider if your going to use your bed much. Other than that......PICS
pezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i dont know if its improved but any of that junk thats made of recycled soda bottles retains water and therefore if you got any kind of oil or stuff in the bed youd never get it out... it used to black mold easy too.. youd prolly have to put it ontop of plywood too to get it not to flex some.. personally id avoid the idea

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:09 PM   #5
cfranklin013

The truck is going to be a show truck so nothing will be in the back I would have to worry about . I cant find any 3/4 " thick its all 1" . Going to home depot here in a few to see If I can find any thing that will be diff looking besides oak or pine . Did a lot of work last few days I wll post some pics later tonight . Any ideas for some kind of diff bed let me here them . Im up for any thing diff
Old 10-27-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Mike Nutt put some in his 67-72 pickup.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:10 AM   #7
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Franklin. I work part time for a decking company in upstate NY. All the composite decking (walking surface) you find will be "5\4" X 6" or 1" X 5.5". As someone stated it does absorb oil ect and does get soft in the heat. On decks we install using "Trex" or other composites we reduce joist spacing to 14" instead of the usual 16" to reduce "spring". The mold issue has been corrected. Do not, DO NOT use treated pine!!! Chemicals in treated wood attack steel and is especially hard on galvanized and aluminum. Personally I would use oak planks with 10 or 15 coats of laquer and then hard waxed BEFORE INSTALLATION and done on both sides. Lots of work but VERY pretty and durable. Will clean up with soapy water and last for years. Just my two cents, jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:44 PM   #8
cfranklin013

I decided to go with oak . So whats a good clear varnish to apply . I was told to use a marine varnish but some of those turn yellow over time . I would like to keep the oak as natural as I can .

Thanks for all of the help so far . Cant get much help from lumber yards around here .
Old 10-29-2008, 03:18 PM   #9
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Franklin. Don't use varnish. You want to use Minwax spar urathane. This stuff is almost bullit proof. First, sand the wood on both sides and true up the edges on a table saw and sand the edges. Next apply 1 good coat and allow to dry till just tackey, then apply another coat and allow to dry 24 hours. Do the same thing on all 4 surfaces. Next using fine steel wool, dull the shine and apply a good coat and allow to dry. You can apply as many coats as you want, just dry 1 day and steel wool between coats. When your done wait a month and then wax with Butchers bowling alley wax, then install wood and rewax the entire bed. Wood will last a long time and look great for years. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:39 PM   #10
mhicks

Check this place out for wood. Hi-dollar on some of it.
http://www.bedwoodandparts.com/ListItems.aspx
Her is some good information on wood coatings....
http://mar-k.com/wood_finish_testing_i.html
mhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:34 PM   #11
Stitch
Account Suspended

how hard would it be to install a wood bed floor in a shortwide instead of a stepside...

Chuck.
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote