The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2002, 10:53 PM   #1
racedvl
Account Suspended

Question Ok, I know I asked this before, but I'm stupid. . . Big10 question.

Ok, first what years did they make the Big10? Second, I can get a complete Big 10 front end for free, cross member and all. i was wanting to install this onto my 1969. Now I looked at the books at work, and I don't see seprate part # for big 10 front end parts, brakes, suspension, springs, ect. So I guess what I'm asking is, is there any diffrence in a Big10 front end, as to opposed to a regular C10? I am worried about bolting this thing to my 69 and making it sit goofy. And in the future, I wanna get droped spindles for the front.....later down the road. I'm gonna be swapping the engine this winter in it, and I suppose this would be a great time to swap the front cross member out. Thanks for any help, Jason.

racedvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 02:40 PM   #2
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Jason,

I almost 100% positive the only difference between a regular C10 and a Big 10 is the rear suspension. This was done of course so GM could call these trucks heavy halfs or 5/8's ton to get out of the 1/2 ton emission's regulations.

The front suspension is based on the size of the engine as to what springs to use for weight. The only thing I would look for is if it has HD brakes. These will be 1-1/4" thick rotors, as compared to standard spindles being 1" thick rotors. This had nothing to do with Big 10's specifically, just if it came with HD brakes. My C10 came with HD brakes and 1-1/4" rotors stock.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 06:24 PM   #3
TOMMAY

TOMMAY

Mike,I believe the front coils are heavier on the Heavy Halfs.I looked this up in one of my manuals when I first got my truck.It's basically a three quarter suspension on a half ton truck.Swapping in the heavier suspension would probably be counter productive if you're gonna be lowering the truck.

Good Luck

Tom
Old 11-30-2002, 08:53 PM   #4
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Tom,

you may be right because I'm not sure. But, I don't think the front coils would be different over regular C10's. The coils are setup for engine weight mostly. I don't think the front of a Big 10 or heavy half is any heavier. As you know the extra weight carrying capacity is all in the rear, with the leaf springs.

Again, not sure though. They may very well be bigger coils. If it were me, I would replace the coils anyway. You know they will be weak with age. I know everything else is the same at least.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 10:47 PM   #5
racedvl
Account Suspended

?

I dunno, I work at a parts wearhouse, and I saw no difference in the front springs. As a matter of fact, I saw no difference for any of the front end parts. I did see that heavy duty brake option, but it seemed to be only for 80 and up.
Old 12-02-2002, 01:42 AM   #6
TOMMAY

TOMMAY

You guys are probably right,I doubt there's enough difference to even show up in the parts books anymore.

The original F44 optioned trucks ,in 76 anyway,were delivered with front springs rated at 1625 pounds each,while the standard c-10 was rated at 1550 lbs. The springs were the same heigth but the wire diameter was slightly greater.

Just remember,you learn something useless and forget something useful every day.

Good Luck

Tom
Old 12-02-2002, 04:42 AM   #7
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

I know that I get 1/2 ton parts most of the time when getting items for my truck. Now when it comes to coil and leaf springs I'm going 3/4 ton all the way around. I think I remember on the front end Capt. Kaos said that I needed 1/2 though.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 10:53 AM   #8
racedvl
Account Suspended

Well, I think I'm gonna take the front end. It's free ya know! Anyways, it's 2 1/2 hours away. . . . So, I think I'll wait till after New Years.