The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2008, 04:06 AM   #1
mark 68

copo trucks

Curious if anybody has heard of a 427 copo truck. i seen something about one in a auto museum. if not did they ever offer a performance motor package, maybe a Baldwin Motion or a Yenko?
mark 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:23 AM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: copo trucks

396 and 402 were the factory BB in this era of trucks.I never heard of a COPO for that.The COPO was actually a system set up for fleet orders and such that the dealerships figured a way to use to build performance cars.I'm not saying it didn't happen ,I just think that trucks of the day were mostly used for work and just gradually becoming the luxury loaded rides that are on the lot now.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

however, panel is forgetting the ever elusive "Corvette Option".......

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:12 AM   #4
Boog
laying low

ahhh the "corvette option". It was tri power too as I remember..
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

I am sure that there are literally thousands of COPO trucks. Every state's maintenence department, national park service, large police forces, etc. all order their fleet trucks with the ability to get options or deletions that are not available to the general public. Even Coca-cola is big enough to get special orders.
Back-in-the-day, trucks were not "high performance" vehicles, even the ones with bigger displacement engines. They have slowly evolved into the "car with no trunk lid" that we call a truck today. They have gotten smoother riding, better handling, more comfortable inside to start...then came bigger cabs and shrinking beds. Today a 4-door (seats 6) pick-up truck? can have a bed as little as 4 feet long....Is that a truck? or a car with a big trunk and no lid...Oh, you can get that too.

/rant
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:22 AM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

there were COPO trucks, but as pointed out, they weren't hot rods.
That one in the museum.. no one has any info what so ever, other than a photo. There'ds no engine pics, no history, no nothing. And if you look at it, there's enough oddities to make you seriously wonder if it is real.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:50 AM   #7
boneyardratz

in 1967 they made a SS truck for big show in Detroit Mi it was showen with a 1967 Camro painted the same coler wwith the SS stripe like on the Camro I'll do more research to find pics. I use to have some but house fire took all that thanks Tim
boneyardratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:52 AM   #8
PT'S 70 CST
"GO DAWGS"

I would also think not but have been wrong before. You would think with all of the truck nuts on the board and me for one who has a stack of hot rod and super chevy mags to make a house out of would have heard or seen this before. I have watched all of the classic car shows on speed and spike and they from time to time have a special on COPO (Central office production order) and have never mentioned a truck. I would like to see the pic that yall are refering to.

PT
94 SILVERADO SWB 5/7 drop
2000 Silverado swb
2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 (Surprisingly very fast)
2004 GMC Yukon XL Denali
BATESBURG, SC. 29006
Some of my restorations
http://www.snapfish.com/snapfish/thu...NAME=snapfish/
Restored Tach tins 8 cyl - 6 cyl
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=518185
Contact info(Not my paypal address) DAWGSFAN227@YAHOO.COM

God Bless Our Troops
PT'S 70 CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:00 AM   #9
66skylarkpost

my '72 was originaly a u.s. forestry truck on the spid is "special processing"
Attached Images

'70 k-10 longbox- mid 70's drivetrain 350/350 487x heads 10.1:1 flowmasters ,35's 3.73's auburn posi ,rear shackle flip. '72 short stepside U.S. forestry truck, '73 455 buick,400 turbo,dropped 2"-4 1/4" ,3.07 posi,:'89 silverado 1500 ,OK truck ,5.7 holley tbi ,trick 700r4 3.07 auburn posi ,and my '66 skylark ,'73 centurion and my '84 monte carlo imca stock car
66skylarkpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:02 AM   #10
brad_man_72
the boat guy

couple of days ago i saw a 68 chevelle wagon yenko z06
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:06 AM   #11
Longhorn Man

that 67 wasn't a copo... it was a one off custom, and is the subjact of quite a few threads on this board over the years.
I honestly think only about 1/2 of the people here, or even in the hoby, has a good grasp of what the COPO program actually was/is.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:32 AM   #12
boneyardratz

I Never Said It Was I stated that the made the Truck!!! I will go out and work on mine while you sit and look at this You Have why to much time on your hands. I got a e-mail and just thought I would reply Like I said I build ALL MY TRUCKS NOT A BODY SHOP thanks Tim
boneyardratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:43 AM   #13
whatnow123

I'm actually kind of surprised no one really "hot rodded" these when they were new. Order a big block, auto and posi rear end, tweek the engine a bit and you have a cheap hotrod that could run with most of the Muscle being sold at the time.

Build thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=219094
whatnow123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:59 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

As far as that COPO truck in a museum goes,it`s not documented.Rarity must be documented to hold any water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnow123 View Post
I'm actually kind of surprised no one really "hot rodded" these when they were new. Order a big block, auto and posi rear end, tweek the engine a bit and you have a cheap hotrod that could run with most of the Muscle being sold at the time.
These trucks "have" been hot rodded since day one.And trucks were hot rodded way before`67,too.I bought a big block`72 shortbed in`73 with posi.The first thing we did back then was slap a cam,headers,manifold/carb,hot ignition,and shift-kit on them.
And,trucks were used as more than work trucks.That`s why there`s coild suspension for a better ride and about every option offered today available back then.If the mentality was trucks only as work horses,why would someone wnt a houndstooth seat,woodgrain trim,tilt wheel (most cars didn`t have that back then),a tape player,and a/c?A/C became a standard.But,back then it wasn`t so,even in cars.How about whitewall tires and full wheelcovers?They are car items on a truck.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-15-2008 at 09:10 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:47 PM   #15
Andy4639
Old member

The Talladega truck isn't a COPO truck the article says so if you read it. The truck motor was built by Lee Hurley, so it not a copo just from the fact he built the motor. As stated anyone can build a factory truck, thats why you see so many short wheel based trucks with tachs. I would say not even half of the factory trucks had them... peroid, why would a farmer have a tach in the dash to begin with think about it. As stated before my dad got a new company truck every 3000 miles and I don't recall any of them having a tach.
Unless you can prove the build sheet and I mean with documantaion I really doubt most trucks are factory what they say they are. I don't mean just showing a glove box sticker or the build sheet either. I want GM proof.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:00 PM   #16
Gray Ghost

You know it's funny...I never liked much from the factory when it came to trucks and even with most cars. There are a very few really cool factory rides. I never understood the folks who have to have everything as it came. I didn't think they did all that great a job on them to begin with and believe that ANY truck or car can be improved on.

Keeping a truck all stock is kinda like entering a car show and sitting behind your car all day rolling your eyes at the comments and questions....why bother? I prefer to drive the vehicle and I like it equipped my way for the most part.

All that said, it would have been neat to see a copo truck that had big ones under the hood like a 427 and a special designation.

And yeah, as long as there are fools in the world there will be many who prey on them with 'rare'/'factory' ads on ebay, Craigslist, etc.

And while I'm at it, that truck is damn cool whether it's factory or not. If it really does have a 427 in it, that's even better!!

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 12-15-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:49 PM   #17
Andy4639
Old member

Gray Ghost,
I agree the truck is cool but I don't like the people trying to make it out as a rare truck. Yes I beleive it's got the track speed for a truck but it was because they built the truck not Chevy. All in all it's a great truck and it's cool a model of our trucks hold's that record.
I would like to know more details of it but haven't been able to find any.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:37 PM   #18
Rack Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
You know it's funny...I never liked much from the factory when it came to trucks and even with most cars. There are a very few really cool factory rides. I never understood the folks who have to have everything as it came. I didn't think they did all that great a job on them to begin with and believe that ANY truck or car can be improved on.

Keeping a truck all stock is kinda like entering a car show and sitting behind your car all day rolling your eyes at the comments and questions....why bother? I prefer to drive the vehicle and I like it equipped my way for the most part.

All that said, it would have been neat to see a copo truck that had big ones under the hood like a 427 and a special designation.

And yeah, as long as there are fools in the world there will be many who prey on them with 'rare'/'factory' ads on ebay, Craigslist, etc.

And while I'm at it, that truck is damn cool whether it's factory or not. If it really does have a 427 in it, that's even better!!
You'd hate my build then....LOL

I personnally love them all...I spend an equal amount of time at car shows checking out highly modded cars as I do bone stock cars....I've done my share of mods....(mostly to Camaro's)...but I'm a bit of a purist at heart and love to see highly detailed stock builds....I guess that's why they offer chocolate, vanilla & strawberry ice cream!!

JMO, Dan

Last edited by Rack Man; 12-15-2008 at 06:38 PM.
Rack Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:55 PM   #19
factorystock

[QUOTE=Gray Ghost;3029044]You know it's funny...I never liked much from the factory when it came to trucks and even with most cars. There are a very few really cool factory rides. I never understood the folks who have to have everything as it came. I didn't think they did all that great a job on them to begin with and believe that ANY truck or car can be improved on.

For the purist, it has alot to do with historical significance.We want to learn the way they were and like to see them the way they were.Its kind of like a historical piece or building, there are many who want to see it perserved the way it was in its heyday.We can document original work, but there is no way to document a custom creation.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:09 PM   #20
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
, why would a farmer have a tach in the dash to begin with think about it.
I will agree that there are a lot of trucks around with tachs in them that did not have them from the factory. BUT I have personally pulled tach dashes out of a lot of "farm" trucks in Texas. They were C-60 trucks used to haul grain. Got a few out of dump trucks too.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:44 PM   #21
72armyswbtruck

Not really cheap.
More like in the 5K range for 72.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnow123 View Post
Old 12-14-2008, 11:51 AM   #22
Longhorn Man

there were some.... I recently saw in an older magazine... hot rod maybe... where they hopped one up back in the day.
But you are right, they were far and few between.
Trucks were work vehicles back then, they made up a VERY small market share back then.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:59 PM   #23
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

it was the car mentality then. how much horsepower per pound. why spend the money factory ordering a truck (read heavy and still being used as trucks, as Andy said) when the hot ticket was, for instance, a big block stuffed in a comfortable Chevelle format?

horsepower was cheap. ahhhh, those were the days......

try ordering a truck or car the way you want it now. "if you order this engine, you have to order this transmission". wish I was around when you could still order a car to your liking........ but I digress.

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by tcb-1; 12-14-2008 at 01:00 PM.
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:13 PM   #24
manimal

There is a guy in Barstow that tried to sell me a '69 shortbed fleetside that 'came factory' with a 427 and a Muncie M22 4spd!! I just looked at him and left. Some people will do/say anything to make a buck.
-Lance
1999 Suburban K2500, 7.4, 4L80e
1980 Camaro..son's car...PROJECT
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:17 PM   #25
Longhorn Man

If you had the choice between a well equipped small block truck, for 4500 bucks, or a well equipped chevelle/nova/camaro... you wouldn't even look at the truck. They were actually kinda expensive back in the day.