The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
shrtbx

cracked frame

I just noticed the other day that frame is starting to crack next to the steering wheel box. Its not too bad now but i need to fix it pronto. Im headed out on a trip in a few days. Does anyone sell some sort of kit for this since its a common occurance, or do i just need to get it welded up.

Last edited by shrtbx; 12-15-2008 at 04:03 PM.
shrtbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:10 PM   #2
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Re: cracked frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrtbx View Post
I just noticed the other day that frame is starting to crack next to the steering wheel box. Its not too bad now but i need to fix it pronto. Im headed out on a trip in a few days. Does anyone sell some sort of kit for this since its a common occurance, or do i just need to get it welded up.

This is very common and yes they do have a kit to fix this. But I do not have any info about. Some one will post something for you very soon...
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
tractor1963

M.O.R.E. offroad a frame repair kit,so does Offroad design,is the truck 2wd or 4wd?
tractor1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
shrtbx

Its a 2 wheel drive.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:55 PM   #5
454HO

Autofab has a gusset kit for 2WD - http://www.autofab.com/sbgk%20100.htm

My '77 had cracks in the frame. I welded them up myself and then made a brace to triangulate the frame and front crossmember. It wasn't quite as nice as the one in the link above. And I ended up scrapping the truck so I don't know if it would have held up or not.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:48 PM   #6
Prerunner1982

I also had this problem and my steering box ripped a hole in my frame about the size of a half dollar. I was able to make something work, and it did for a couple of years.. Eventually though the frame also cracked at where it meets the suspension crossmember.. so the truck was retired.

Off Road Design is a good company with good products, but I dont know if the fix for the 4wd will work on a 2wd frame.

If you have a welder and access to metal you could try making your own. I would put a plate to distribute the stress over a wider area and put a brace to triagulate with another crossmember.
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:30 AM   #7
asphaltburner

Yo! OMG!
This is a COMMON problem!!? Geeze, with what Chevy trucks, or is it ALL Chevy trucks?
Mine's a '78 3/4 ton 4x4, FRANKENTRUCK. My frame is perfect, and I'd rather prevent than repair,...what parts of the frame? Todd.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:41 AM   #8
project 67 sub
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltburner View Post
Yo! OMG!
This is a COMMON problem!!? Geeze, with what Chevy trucks, or is it ALL Chevy trucks?
Mine's a '78 3/4 ton 4x4, FRANKENTRUCK. My frame is perfect, and I'd rather prevent than repair,...what parts of the frame? Todd.
where the steering gear box bolts up to on the frame

Last edited by project 67 sub; 12-16-2008 at 03:41 AM.
project 67 sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:17 AM   #9
69face

ive had two 2wd trucks with the same problem. the first one i just welded and gussetted and the second one i welded, an then put a matching 1/4 inch plate behind the gearbox. i drilled holes throught the second plate and got 1/4 inch longer grade 8 bolt and i havent had a problem for about a year now. i the truck wasnt so low i would take pictures

I'M SO SO CAL!
69face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:32 AM   #10
Ds86C10
2WD 4 Life

mine has a wicked crack in the frame by the steering box.. to fix it im boxing the frame up front.
1978 king cobra
Ds86C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:44 AM   #11
lvschevytrucks
Unfinished Project Club

not to steal this thread but mine is cracking by the rear leaf spring, Its a 4x4 do they make a kit for it
lvschevytrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:37 PM   #12
shrtbx

69face...do you own a shop out here in los angeles?
Old 12-18-2008, 01:13 AM   #13
69face

Quote:
69face...do you own a shop out here in los angeles?
no i dont own a shop but i have a pretty long driveway, a garage with 220v(for my compressor and welders), and most tools

I'M SO SO CAL!

Last edited by 69face; 12-18-2008 at 01:14 AM.
69face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:23 PM   #14
shrtbx

Well i just got back from getting the frame issue fixed. Thanks 454HO for suggesting AUTOFAB. Its not often that i come across establishments that i can truly vouch for when it comes to integrity, quality and all around just good business sense.
John, owner of AUTOFAB has got to be one of the nicest/honest and sincere guys i have ever met. His team reworked my frame in the area around the powersteering box, patched it, welded it, and painted it all up. When i left the shop it was like driving an totally different truck. The crack in the frame was worse than i thought. It had severe cracks in not one but two areas. I was told that just from looking at it the are area of the frame with the two cracks would have given way in 2-3 days. Scary when i think about all the freeway driving and pot holes i go over here in los angeles. I will be headed back out to AUTOFAB for some more work on few other projects i have on other cars. The establishment is a true mom and pop operation that is A++++++ and truly an asset to truck enthusiast.

I also learned while talking to john that he is the original designer/fabricator of the brace for our trucks. He started making them back in the early 80s for chevys engineering flaw. Come to find out that a few companies actually buy the braces from him and sell them under their own names. He also gave me the scoop on a few big name aftermarket companies that have actually used his original design without permission and others that have similar copy cat designs.

All and all guys...From my my now personal experience with this whole frame thing i want to just stress that these are a must for our trucks. I saw the damage on mine and all i could say was wow. The braces are simple to bolt on and were made primarily to prevent the flexing and cracking of the frame. I unfortunately was unlucky but for you guys that havent had a crack yet....install one. Its not a matter of if its gonn happen its a matter of when. If you dont get one then atleast check that area everyonce in a while to make sure everything is kosher.

Sorry if i sound like and infommercial but i really think its more of a safety issue. I love GM..but they kinda dropped the ball on this one.

If you guys are curious about what the damage looks like, check out his website in a few days. Evidently mine was pretty bad, and it was one of the few 2WD trucks that he has seen with the problem. The photos are alot worse than it looks too.

Last edited by shrtbx; 12-18-2008 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:58 PM   #15
454HO

Quote:
Well i just got back from getting the frame issue fixed. Thanks 454HO for suggesting AUTOFAB.
Cool. Glad it worked out for you. My '86 frame is solid... I think. But I have one of these on my list of things to buy. I'm sure the weight of the 454 combined with the 265 wide tires will eventually take it's toll.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:51 AM   #16
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

Got my repair kit and brace kit from offroaddesign.com about 5 months ago. Here's a link to the vid of what was happening with mine...

Mine's solid as a rock now.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:03 AM   #17
SkylineNXS

Thats insane....

BRAD

1966 C10 SWB Fleet, 250 I6, three on the tree....

Previously Owned....
1987 Chevy R10 "Silverado" (at least the badges were) Short Step 350 700r4....

1972 Chevy LWB Fleet 350/350

EXTENDED CAB ALL THE WAY!

.._..~...-...._...____
.._..-...______|_|__\____
..-..~.|_(O)__|_|__|_(O)]
SkylineNXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:11 AM   #18
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

my buddy had this happen and he made a couple of pieces of steel himself and welded it on and it worked fine for the remaining five years he had the truck after that

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:48 PM   #19
bowtiecb

i had that happen when i had my 80, and had to chain the box to the frame just to make it to a welder, took about ten tries to get out of the drive way. but have anybody had this prob on a 86-87 model
bowtiecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:36 PM   #20
73chevyman

friend of mine just welded up the steering box and frame completely broke. welded it back no problems or flexing like you see in that video
http://hotridesmag.com/
73chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:44 PM   #21
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

I couldn't agree more with shrtbx on installing one of these as preventative maintenance. That video of mine was before I got my triangulating brace and steering box weld in reinforcement done. Now I don't have any more flex in my frame.

Mine was just starting to get little bitty stress cracks around the steering box holes, bit it just felt sloppy to me to drive it. Now it's just fine again.