The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
cheyenne402

Goodmark or factory doors?

I've been looking for some nice factory doors for my son's 1986. I was looking to get them before Christmas.

My question is= Has anyone been unhappy with the Goodmark doors?

Or should I hold out for some used GM doors?

Thanks, Scott
cheyenne402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:08 PM   #2
gearhead1968

Re: Goodmark or factory doors?

You are always better off with original factory doors, fenders, ect..., however Goodmark would be my second choice, there is at least some quality control to their product. The rest are just hit and miss, mostly junk in my opinion.
Stock 307, 700R4 Transmission, Hurst Pro-Matic shifter, 2100 rpm stall converter, Headman Elite 1 5/8" headers, H-pipe, 2 1/2 exhaust through Magnaflow mufflers, 3.73 Motive gears, superior axels and Eaton Posi carrier

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3136537
gearhead1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
jb4short
Damn Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne402 View Post
I've been looking for some nice factory doors for my son's 1986. I was looking to get them before Christmas.

My question is= Has anyone been unhappy with the Goodmark doors?

Or should I hold out for some used GM doors?

Thanks, Scott
On the 80's doors your BEST choice is to find a local aftermarket distributor (http://www.autobpa.com) and call and ask if they have the doors available CAPA certified. The doors are available CAPA from Gordon Auto Body Parts and Jui Li. That certification can make an 8-10lb difference in manufacturing
jb4short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:08 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I can honestly say ive used aftermarket doors on my trucks over the years and the fitment was not as good as OEM. That being said there are differences between the aftermarket products. Years back i bought a set from some guy in the Raceway Park Englishtown Spring Swap Meet and the truck doors would prolly have fit a honda civic better than they did the truck... On the same token Ive bought parts from two of the site vendors, Tri-Pro Automotive and Captkaos. i did NOT buy doors from either, other repro parts and both vendors supplied me with top noch items that worked well. Yes the inner wheel wells i bought from jon at Tri Pro were off a hair in spots, but you have to expect a little fussing to get things to fit right, and the time it took to get it to work was minimal and the quality of the part was great.. Ive had similar experiences with inner door handles i bought from Chris (Captkaos)..
If youre going to use aftermarket doors, My recommendation is to buy from either of these fine board vendors.. Not only are they great products, but they both stand behind their stuff which is a rarity these days

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:01 PM   #5
LEEVON

I don't know about Michigan, but around here these doors are on Craigslist frequently. I would hold out for factory, you might even get good enough glass and guts in them you won't have to swap anything out.

Last edited by LEEVON; 12-19-2008 at 08:02 PM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:30 AM   #6
grinch4om
dang its hot

the fit and finish of these trucks from the factory was abismal to say the least. Factory parts always fit best. If you don't mind fabbing and playing with firment, I used Keystone doors on my truck and they were ok, not show quality but adaquate,
grinch4om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:38 AM   #7
trixter99
I have no time for this

i always opt for factory parts when possible that being said I have put a couple jobber doors on a few different trucks in the past and they fit pretty well. I am unsure as to how they held up as far as rust but they did fit pretty good.Also OEM doors are very expensive and getting hard to find new.
1999 Hugger orange Camaro SS
2007 BMW X5 Sport
trixter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:49 PM   #8
72highlander
Sophomore Member

from personal experience i'd say no on the repops, but maybe the ones we used were worse. they fit like socks on a rooster and you could spin em on your hand like a basketball they were so light. i'd sure shop around for the best ones if i did go aftermarket.

these trucks don't need vacuum gauges cause they don't suck!
two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left
all i want is a little more than i'll ever get
it's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6
72highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:25 AM   #9
grinch4om
dang its hot

hahahaha socks on a rooster!
grinch4om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:09 AM   #10
powerdriver 1958
Kid's Mechanic

I had about as good of side by side test as you can get,at the time I could get repro doors for the front of my 2+2 but not the back.bought gm replacement for the back.Kept that truck 12 years.front doors were rusted and repaired while the back were still in good shape.GM for me
powerdriver 1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:13 PM   #11
cheyenne402

Yea, looks like kid is gonna get a good southern door when I find a manual door(seems a little rare around here right now).

Thanks for the input all
Old 01-01-2009, 01:14 PM   #12
cheyenne402

Found a pair of new doors on craigslist. Anyone familiar w/ Gordan doors?