The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2008, 07:25 PM   #1
85scottsdale

Ideas for 85 2wd longbed. (pics)

Hi. I've been a long time ghost member of the forum and this is my first post. I've got an 85 c10 2wd LWB and have been working on if for the past couple years. Recent paint, rims, tires, shocks, interior, and new gm goodwrench 350 crate, true dual flowmaster from exhaust manifolds no cats. Stock th-350. I'll try to figure out how to post some pics. I would like to know what I could do for hopefully under 700 to give the engine some more power. Right now there is the old worn q-jet that has been rebuilt a while ago but was so torn up it never got the kick i think it should have. Also has that nasty stock intake manifold. I was thinking to replace both of those with another q-jet and edelbrock intake. Headers I am sort of worried about because I keep hearing bad tales of eventual leakage. Thats where I stand any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Attached pics
Truck is the same except for 245 width Firestone Indy Firehawk 500's as well as for some The Citadel front plate and some Palmetto Battery stickers
Attached Images

85scottsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:30 PM   #2
85scottsdale

Re: Ideas for 85 2wd longbed. (pics)

BTW the Toyota is a company car.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:38 PM   #3
Pyrotechnic

If you don't have to pass any visual or tail pipe emissions inspections, then an Edelbrock Performer EPS manifold and a 1406 carburetor is a good choice for an upgrade. You will also want the matching tuning kit and you will need to change jets and metering rods to get optimum fuel economy as that carburetor out of the box will be a bit on the rich for a stock engine though it will run fine.

At the same time, the computer might freak when it's not seeing the computer controlled carb anymore so replacing your current distributor with a non computer controller HEI and eliminating the computer all together would be a must.

Headers work fine if you get quality ones and use the stock style manifold gaskets. Paper gaskets will burn out over time. I've had good luck with Hedman Elites headers.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
85scottsdale

As far as headers. Have you had any experience with these. http://www.performanceonline.com/sto...cat=666&page=1

The description doesnt give a brand. Also is it the ceramic coating that maintains original color of the headers? I know a good deal of them can heat up and brown fairly quickly after installation.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:24 AM   #5
85scottsdale

bump.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:13 AM   #6
PhilaTruck
Right on the line, baby!

What Toyota? I was too busy looking at that beautiful truck. Welcome to the board-

There's a great step-by-step to remove your ECM at 73-87.com. I think it only controls the dizzy, but am NOT SURE about that. It didn't on mine, but it's an 83. Anyway, here's a link:

ESC to Non-ESC swap

-Todd

Click and scroll down for site vendors!

Subscribe here!
PhilaTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:21 AM   #7
85scottsdale

Thanks for the compliments on the truck. And I'll have to look more into changing that out. What brand/model of headers are you using? Also, what sort of finish maintains the original look of the headers best?
Old 12-22-2008, 10:14 AM   #8
Tony@AirRideTech

if it were me.... I would do either a performer intake or GM even offers a low rise aluminum intake in their performance parts line and i would either get a new Q-jet or get yours rebuilt. They are actually a great carb when they are right.
The trick with headers is to buy the nicest ones you can afford. Cheap headers will always be cheap headers. JBA probably has some of the nicest ones. You are looking for quality of materials and flange thickness. The second part of the equasion is to use a quality gasket and quality fasteners. Do it right and you will only do it once.
Tony@AirRideTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:04 PM   #9
Thumpin455
My truck is an alcoholic

Swap some Vortec heads and matching intake on it, maybe upgrade your cam a bit to one with 220-224 duration at .050 lift. A decent set of headers, and you can mail your Qjet to me with a gasket kit and I will get it working right for you. Just because I am a nice guy, provided you pay shipping both ways.