The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2002, 06:06 PM   #1
mckpaul

Question air pump/manifold tubes '84 w/305

Recently bought an '84 Chevy 1/2 ton PU with a 305. Brought it into Houston and have to get emissions system up to standard to pass inspection. Can work off the decal for the vacuum routing, but the air pump has been removed. The motor is newer, about an '87 or '88 and has tubes on the exhaust manifolds that have been cut and folded down to seal them. Don't know if the manifolds are the original ones from the '84 motor or if they came on the newer motor. If someone has an '84 with a 305 with all the original emission equipment still in tact, can you tell me if you have tubes on your exhaust manifold, and do they go back to the air pump? The vacuum schematic on the decal shows the air pump, but only the vacuum line going to it, not the air side of the pump. I have to put everything back like it was from the factory to pass inspection, and have to present a passing emissions report to transfer the title.
mckpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 06:21 PM   #2
Prerunner1982

have you tried lookin at the repair manual.. swervin ervin has the tubes on his so he will probably be much help..

jon
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 10:59 AM   #3
PHOENIX

Yes you need those manifolds and inlet tubes. I have an '83 and I have all that crap. You can get a reman smog pump from Checker for not too much $$$.
Things you need:
Diverter Valve (hooks to back of air pump) (1)
Exhuast Check Valve (were hose from pump meets inlet branch) (2?)
You will also need some hose and vacuum lines.
You may even need a vacuum switch (depending on what you have now)

Can you repair whats there?

You probly need an EGR too. Do you have an EGR? Do you have an EGR manifold?

Edelbrock makes a good set of headers for these trucks that have the emissions tubes biult on it. They look great and Swervin says he loves his. They are expensive though. I think they are about $350 - $400 for the 2 headers and the y-pipe. They come with a black shipping protectant coating. You should paint them or have them ceramic coated.
Old 12-04-2002, 11:56 AM   #4
mckpaul

Thanks for the input. I knew I originally had an air pump, and I knew the air had to go somewhere, and was assuming back into the exhaust. But wanted to be sure I was doing it right before doing a bunch of work. I'll probably try to find one in a junk yard that still has that stuff on it and get the manifolds with the tubing already in place, along with all the other pieces as well. Yes I do have an EGR valve, vacuum has been removed, and also have the vacuum valve in the exhaust on the passenger side that has also been disconnected. I'll have to replace all the vacuum stuff but shouldn't be a problem, that schematic on the sticker identifies everything, will just need to look at one to see where everything goes.

Thanks again - Paul
mckpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 03:43 AM   #5
Hooter
My other Love

If you dont have to get emmisons inspection, I'd take all that crap off

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote