The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2009, 10:44 PM   #1
jdmaffeo

One Piece Windows...install problems...

I bought the one piece window kit about 6 months ago and My truck is finally going back together after paint. I am having all sorts of issues with this kit. The instructions are rather vague. I am very mechanically enclined and I can't get the first one to work. So why even start the second? It seems to be an alignment issue. Regardless, does anyone have any advice that has installed these before? I called OPP and can't get much help until next week. I can't get the upper rear corner to seal. I will take some pictures tomorrow and post up what I am talking about. I am so frustrated right now that I would like to kick the dog! lol...I'm teasing about the dog, but I am not happy after messing with it for 3 days now and still no luck. It's almost like the curve in the glass is wrong. Any one near Dallas with any extra time that would like to share some of their knowledge and know how would be appreciated!
Old 01-02-2009, 11:18 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: One Piece Windows...install problems...

Contact Capt Kaos and he might be able to help you. He is the local distrubitor for OPP and offers awesome assistance.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:29 AM   #3
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

73-87 problems disappeared in the last change (late first quarter of last year) Post some pics. Where did you get them from? Ben is on vacation until Monday the 5th.

Describe the vague portion of the instructions? Are you using these instructions?
http://www.onepieceproducts.com/imag...versionKit.pdf or http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com/tech...versionKit.pdf
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
jdmaffeo

Hey Chris! I knew that Ben is on vacation until Monday. I called them yesterday. I bought them through you I think earlier this year (back in June). They were shipped directly from OPP though. I'm going to go ahead and start the passenger side today and quit on the drivers side for now before I go crazy. They have someone that installs them in Ceder Springs which isn't too far South of Dallas. I might find out who it is and pay them to finish where I leave off. I am working on it at my body shop and even the experienced body men had no answers. I want to get it out of there this week and this is one of the last things holding me back. I've been waiting to post up pictures but I may have to spill the beans sooner than expected. Thanks Chris for any assistance. Jonathan
Old 01-03-2009, 10:00 AM   #5
jdmaffeo

I forgot to tell you which instructions I am using. I am using the one that you posted from their website. I have even elongated all the holes for the power windoe regulator to try to adjust. It was about a half an inch out in the top rear before making a lot of the holes a lot bigger. I can get it close if I hold both sides of the glass and pull it after it is up all the way, but that isn't going to work going down the road! lol... Everytime you lower it and go back up it is not right. I'll take some pictures today as I am going up there for the day to get more done! I'll post them tonight.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

What power setup?
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Old 01-05-2009, 10:15 PM   #7
jdmaffeo

Hey Chris,

Sorry for the slow response, but I have been sick since Saturday with the crud. I am coming back to life a bit tonight. I Spoe to Ben today and it's hard to get tech support on something like this when they can't put their hands and eyes on it. I called a distributor of thiers south of Dallas, but they don't do installs, however he did get me in contact with a shop in Dallas that does. $200/door. I think I would sell them since I have already done all the work, I just cant get the finishing touches. I need to finish up the passengerr door. I will hopefully work on it tomorrow night after work. Who knows maybe that one will work like it is supposed to. Here are some pictures of the issues. I can get it close to fitting if I man handle it once it is up by holding both sides of the glass but there is still a gap. Otherwise the other pictures show how big the gap is by itself. I should have my bed wood done by the end of the week and back in the truck, then it will be mobile again. If I can't get them going I am going to take it to that shop and see if they will work me a deal to finish them up. Who knows...let me know if you have any suggestions.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2009, 11:42 PM   #8
bigblock73
yeller

I have to get back on mine...but I have a suggestion. Loosen all mounting bolts/tracks and roll up the window to the "up" position. Once up, see if you can work backwards and get things lined up that way internally. Just a thought, you may have already tried that.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:49 PM   #9
jdmaffeo

I've already tried that...at least 3 times...I'm going to try to open the gap some more where the vent window used to be tomorrow. Ben seems to think that it is binding there. I'll keep you posted. I have taken some pictures of a clever way to mount the power door lock actuators instead of drilling holes lower in the door.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2009, 11:52 PM   #10
bigblock73
yeller

That is a great idea for the PL, I will have to try that as well!
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #11
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Cool idea on the power setup.

It appears that the glass needs to go rearward towards the back of the door. Are the "bumpers" in the front portion?
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Old 01-07-2009, 11:47 AM   #12
jdmaffeo

I am assuming by bumpers you are talking about the rubber strips that you have to glue in. I have tried several ways due to all of the issues. I have tried with all the strips in place and then with removing some of them. I have even added them to the rear corner to try to bring the seal closer to the window. LOL...still no workie. I went over to the shop to take another stab at it after cooling off for a few days. I went to lower the window and guess what...the new window motor won't work at all and the window is in the up position. I graciously had some kind words and walked away from it for the night. I don't think that this window project is meant to be! lol... Today is another day and I am going to work on it tonight again after work.

Here are a few more pictures of how I modified the power lock actuators and mounted them to the rear channels. You have to take off the mounting bracket and make 4 slits in the rear channel. Flatten out the channel and then drill one hole for the tab on the back of the actuator that locates it. Then I marked the 3 holes that were used on the actuator with a drill bit and drilled the 3 remaining holes. You will also need to drill one hole on the door latch assembly and bend up a rod to make it all go together. Here are a few more pictures to go by.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2009, 06:56 PM   #13
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

yes those are the ones I was refering to. And you have made adjustments to the front guide moving it back correct.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Old 01-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #14
jdmaffeo

I have made a ton of adjustments to the front track and have huge holes up there now. I might have to go with inch and a half washers soon. I havent been able to work on the windows much over the last week. I have been putting the bed back together to make more room in their shop to hopefully reduce any damage to my truck since it just sits there during the day while I am at work. I just lack bolting down the bed and the gas filler with the bed and then of course all I have left is the darn windows and I will have it back on the road. I am hoping to get back over there this week otherwise it will all have to wait until i get back from Mexico next week....That means almost Feb. before it will be on the road. Oh well...I talked to a guy that installs them here in Dallas, but $200 per door. I have already done all the hard work. I might take it to their shop if I can't get them to work and see what he would charge me to just supposedly "adjust" the tracks. If they can't either then it will be a quick sell on eBay so that I can go back to the dreaded vent windows which I will have to buy and have some more paint work done to move the mirror holes back further in the doors...Either way it won't be much fun I have the feeling. These windows still have me disgruntled a little. Even the felts for the outside and inside of the door panel aren't right. My door panel curves on both ends and the kit comes with straight ones. Ben wan't anothe $25 for another set of curved ones. Even the picture in the instructions shows an older door panel that is straight accross. They didn't do their homework if you ask me. Still frustrated...Jonathan
Old 01-14-2009, 09:57 PM   #15
1984 swb chevy

I hope they made some improvements to the kit since you got them. I'm sorry to hear that you are having so many problems. I would hate to see 25 more people having the same problems as you with this install. I guess we will find out soon. Good luck with your truck.
1984 swb chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:21 PM   #16
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

Had a thought.... I had some problems on my '77 getting the OE window setup to fit because we had to bend inward the top of the door to align properly with the cab. Maybe if you had to do this to yours, it's been bent in too far to line up right?
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:41 PM   #17
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

When is a good time for myself or Ben to call you?
Have you called Ben back?

PM me your number.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Old 01-15-2009, 08:22 PM   #18
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Quote:
Even the felts for the outside and inside of the door panel aren't right. My door panel curves on both ends and the kit comes with straight ones. Ben wan't anothe $25 for another set of curved ones. Even the picture in the instructions shows an older door panel that is straight accross.
The inner and outer scrapers are different. Only the outer portion is curved to the glass. The inner has always been a straight piece.

Is the front guide hitting the are where you bent the tabs for the vent window mount? This must be 1" wide to work.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com

Last edited by Captkaos; 01-15-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #19
GVazquez

I know this is an old thread, but has this issue been resolved? I am thinking about ordering it in a few weeks, and dont want to go through the headaches or pay a shop to do it for me....
GVazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:40 PM   #20
87Lowrider
Navy Radioman Veteran

I was wondering the same thing.

Kenny
87Lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #21
jdmaffeo

I gave up and just leave them up...unless i open the door and rock them backwards and forwards and pull them up to fit. I love the look but hate the way they work. I replaced all my a/c compenents for refreshment...lol...I have replaced every component in my doors and window assemblies. There is just way too much play to make the windows go up and down the same way every time. That's probably why GM made them with vent windows to begin with. If I had the money to do it over I would have just bought new vent window assemblies...
Old 05-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #22
West Texas Z
El Mero Mero Frijolero!!

awe man. I was looking forward to seeing this fixed.
West Texas Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:31 PM   #23
jdmaffeo

As nice as the truck turned out with all of the other changes I made I will probably revisit these windows again this summer. I have family living with me and needed the spot in my garage that I used to keep my truck in. I am storing it about 2 hours away now and it has only been out a handful of times since I finished it at the beginning of last year. I will post up any new progress...
Old 05-10-2010, 12:31 PM   #24
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Jonathan,
Did you call Ben? You never call me, but I would be happy to help if you need to call.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Old 05-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #25
383tbi

Looks like I won t be putting 1 piece windows in mine.
383tbi is offline   Reply With Quote