The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
WorkinLonghorn

Yet another ALTERNATOR question.

Yesterday my "life-time warranty" Auto Zone failed again (3d or 4th time in 30K miles) and I was beginning to think the warranty means that "you will be returning this part for the rest of your life".
The one they gave me today at the counter had a distinct flat spot in the bearing that I could feel and hear as I rotated the fan/shaft in front. I showed the counter guy and he told me this;

The original alternators for these years were not designed well and the bearings were too small or badly designed and thus the "rebuilt" ones often suffer from this.He said that the best bet is to find a NEW one. Not New Old Stock, but a recently produced unit which would have the bearing upgrade.

Now I took all this with a a handful of salt, coming from A.Z.and all.
I was wondering if any of yuzguys had any info about a better quality original style alternator for our trucks. I'm happy with the external regulator and everything,and I have no need for higher amperage. I do have need for a system that won't leave me dead on the road every 10-30K miles or so.
So I'm wondering where I could find a NEW unit, recently made, for our years,or is there such an animal? thx WLH
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
leddzepp

Re: Yet another ALTERNATOR question.

Go to a local shop that specializes in re-building alternators. Do not waste your time with A.Z. junk.

Their lifetime warranty is exactly as you stated...you will be pulling it off and taking it back about every 2-3 months.

EDIT- i just noticed you are in So Cali also...whereabouts?? If you are near Corona/Riverside, i can give you the name of my local shop...he has been here 20 yrs and does great work!

I took my POS autozone alternator to him, and he converted it to a one-wire internally regulated one. I have had it on my truck for 4 yrs now, with no problems. they are re-built on the premises, usually the same day you bring it in.

Last edited by leddzepp; 01-04-2009 at 09:08 PM.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:11 PM   #3
WorkinLonghorn

Acctually, I'm in the San Fernando Valley,but there are lots of auto repair shops around.I'll check them out.
The guy at A.Z. even said that if I bought a new unit and showed hin the receipt,he'd refund the amount I first paid in 2000, which I thought was a good deal.-wlh
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:11 PM   #4
DCoffey1972

Ditto to what LEDDZEPP said - 1st thing i did after buying my truck was take the alt to local rebuilder & had it converted to a 1 wire. you wont have ny more problems. at least not every 3-4 months anyway.
DCoffey1972 is offline   Reply With Quote