The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2009, 07:39 AM   #1
BigBlocksRule

Anybody Ever Turned a Blazer into a SWB?

I just picked up an '81 2WD Blazer in fair condition. I'm going to build a ProStreet truck. I'd like to make something different from the norm. I know that a Blazer has a wheelbase that's 11" shorter than a short bed, that's part of what I like about them. Ford made a Unibody truck back in the 60's where the bed and cab were made together. The only problem folks had with 'em were that the back window would pop out if the truck got twisted crossing ditches, etc. I'm kinda wondering if I could pull the top off of the Blazer, add a conventional tailgate, then graft the back of the cab/front of the bed onto the back of the Blazer cab and have the back of the cab right where the floor steps up in the Blazer. That would give me a super short shortbed with a unibody look. I guess it could even get a little crazier, use the Blazer tailgate as the divider so I could have a power back window that I could lower at the flip of a switch...
Sound nuts???

Last edited by BigBlocksRule; 01-24-2009 at 07:47 AM.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
dooce

Re: Anybody Ever Turned a Blazer into a SWB?

There is a white one that somebody posted on here somewhere. I think it's in the short bed sticky. I'll look to see if I can find it.

LFSalleeII@gmail.com
dooce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:56 AM   #3
BigBlocksRule

Thanks, I'd sure appreciate it. I've been thru most of the pic threads and don't remember seeing it.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
dooce

Ok, here is the one from the short bed sticky. It's not the white one, I think that one was from eBay. Page 9, post # 220 by bigblock73.
Attached Images

LFSalleeII@gmail.com
dooce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:03 AM   #5
ont_guy_38

I had a 78 blazer years ago that i cut the roof off and then I took the roof and the whole back cab section from a regular cab and welded it on.It was a bit of a pain to integegrate the back of the cab to the box floor of the blazer . I also put a regular pickup tailgate on and a lot of people just stood there and looked they couldnt figuire out why it was so short.It looked awesome though,for some reason I never did take a picture of it
ont_guy_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:38 AM   #6
BigBlocksRule

That's exactly what I'm talking about! The roof of the Blazer I have has a few dents, I didn't even think about including the entire roof, but that should be easier than trying to use just the back of the cab. How did the regular tailgate work?
Thanks for your reply, it's good to know that what I want to do is possible. I have a source for plenty of decent cabs cheap, I think I may just have to give this a shot.
By the way, I'm planning to relocate the leaf springs to inside the frame, widen the wheel tubs to the frame with donor truck tubs, flip the axle and "C" notch the frame and use CalTracs for traction and drop my pump gas 565 under the hood and run a 4L80E tranny. Something this short should pull the front wheels easily!
Old 01-24-2009, 10:52 AM   #7
Wild83C10

Can I ask why you want to do it? What advantage do you think you will gain? I'm asking just because I don't see what you will gain.

383 MASS-FLO EFI/TKO II 600/3.90 Posi 10 bolt
S475 and C4 DM running, fine tuning
turbo=
Douchebag Racing: Runs Fine all the Time
Wild83C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:00 AM   #8
BigBlocksRule

The 2WD I have is a plain-jane. The P.O. painted the topper and roof of the truck with bed liner, so it's going to be a total pain to get that stripped and the tailgate is almost completly rusted out. I found a prostreeted Blazer on the Blazer forum that has the stance I want, and when I looked at the pic and covered the topper with my hand to see what it would look like as a shortbed, the gears between the ears started turning. I already have an '85 shortwide that I'm selling soon and a '77 4X4 Blazer, so I'm just looking to do something a bit different. The whole Blazer idea started because with the powerplant I have, I'll have to put a rollbar in it if I want to run it at the track. I hate the way they screw up the back of a truck cab, so I wanted to try it with a Blazer so I could hide the rollbar. I only gave $500 for the Blazer and have a buyer for the running 305 for $200, so I won't have much in it to start with. I know a very good body man/fabricator that I'm going to hit up about the graft process today.
Short answer, I want to do something a little different.

Last edited by BigBlocksRule; 01-24-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:06 AM   #9
87Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlocksRule View Post
The 2WD I have is a plain-jane. The P.O. painted the topper and roof of the truck with bed liner, so it's going to be a total pain to get that stripped. I found a prostreeted Blazer on the Blazer forum that has the stance I want, and when I looked at the pic and covered the topper with my hand to see what it would look like as a shortbed, the gears between the ears started turning. I already have an '85 shortwide that I'm selling soon and a '77 4X4 Blazer, so I'm just looking to do something a bit different. The whole Blazer idea started because with the powerplant I have, I'll have to put a rollbar in it if I want to run it at the track. I hate the way they screw up the back of a truck cab, so I wanted to try it with a Blazer so I could hide the rollbar. I only gave $500 for the Blazer and have a buyer for the running 305 for $200, so I won't have much in it to start with. I know a very good body man/fabricator that I'm going to hit up about the graft process today.
Short answer, I want to do something a little different.
Hey I say go for it its your time and effort it might be really trick. On your Blazer top don't just pitch it. On my 85 LB I found a loose edge and have pulled almost all of it off. I have left the bed for some protection I am going to have it redone eventually after I have the truck painted. Good luck on your project
Old 01-24-2009, 11:22 AM   #10
BigBlocksRule

Yeah, the topper is in good shape other than the liner on it, I have a spare wall in my shop where I could hang it, just in case anything ever happened to the top on my '77. After looking at the trucks a bit more, the whole roof idea makes a lot of sense since there's a factory weld on the top of the front pillar and at the bottom of the back, I should be able to get it all in one piece with minimal welding.
Dammit, I hate it when I think up new complicated projects, but this could be something really different without requiring a ton of fab work.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:03 PM   #11
crawdadfox

Location: New Orleans Louisiana.....a great place to visit but you wouldn't want to live here!!!

I had a way lifted 84 K-5 in the late 80's that had a "half cab" conversion that was a bolt on deal. It gave it a real short unibody pickup truck look. I think one would look killer slammed, pro street or both!!
crawdadfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:51 PM   #12
Conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdadfox View Post
I think one would look killer slammed, pro street or both!!
I agree!

Different is good!

97 GMC reg cab short bed, 4.3V6 / 5spd, daily driver
220,000 miles, all stock for now
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:16 PM   #13
ont_guy_38

Yes it is way easier to use roof and all.As far as the tailgate goes it worked just like a regular pickup one as the hardware can all be adapted to the blazer as they are very similar in style.I cant find any pics of the proper year but these give you an idea how cool it looks.
Attached Images

Last edited by ont_guy_38; 01-24-2009 at 06:16 PM.
ont_guy_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:41 PM   #14
OJOE
Crew Cut

man!! that black and silver 67 just trips my trigger. any more info or pics?
06 CHEV TAHOE (WIFES)
30 MODEL A HOT ROD
07 HARLEY DAVIDSON BAGGER
09 STREET GLIDE
AN D A LOT MORE JUNK
OJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:45 AM   #15
BigBlocksRule

I found a front clip from an '88 Suburban with twin side-by-side headlights that I'm thinking about using. Mine has a fender than needs repair and the hood has several dents. I like the newer grill and the truck will be monchrome red to match the '81 Corvette I'm building for my fiance. We have a tan leather interior for the 'vette, I'm thinking about making matching rides, a his-n-hers sort of deal. I'll shave the drip rails, door handles and relocate the tailgate handle to the inside and smooth the tail light holes and move them to a Corvette style roll pan. I already have a tilt column and will build a custom gauge cluster. Damn, this project gets more expensive by the minute, but I think it's what I've been waiting for. I like shortwide squarebodies, but there's a ton of 'em here. This will be different from anything around, should make a really unique and cool ride.
Thanks for all the replies, I'd appreciate any advice you guys can provide from opinion or experience, keep it coming. This board has already been a lot of help, I hope I can return the favors as this project progresses. I'll be sure to document it well with pics so maybe somebody can learn from it.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:44 AM   #16
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I don't know anything about this one. A forum member posted it quite a while back and I saved the pics. I believe he knew the builder, but I can't remember who posted them.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:49 PM   #17
BigBlocksRule

Thanks for those pics, that's exactly what I'm talking about...except I don't want mine that low, I'm old school ProStreet. Maybe the guy that posted 'em will chime in.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:36 PM   #18
BigBlocksRule

Something one of my buddies reminded me of - they only made 2wd blazers with the '81 up front end design for two years, it's actually a fairly rare piece. I'm going to look at it from every angle before I decide for sure what to do.