The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2002, 04:35 PM   #1
PHOENIX

Fuel Gauge for each tank

Site has felt slow lately so I thought Id throw something up in the air.

I was talking with a fellow co-worker the other day and he told me about a guy he knew that put (2) fuel gauges in his truck.
I kind of like the idea of knowing how much gas is in each tank at any time. Anyone ever seen this done? I never use both tanks because I have a problem with something and havent fixed it yet. But I think its a good idea and thought I'd tell you guys just to see what you guys say.

I plan on adding a couple more gauges later on and if I decide to stick with dual tanks I may add another fuel gauge.
Old 12-11-2002, 02:27 AM   #2
J-Spec C10
Whats this wire for?....

When you switch tanks, doesn't the fuel gauge switch too?

'82 C10 Resto-Custom--> * 2 1/4" manifold back dual exhaust with Hooker Aerochambers & High Flow Cats *Taylor Ignition Wires *Centerline 15" Telstars with 32"x10" mudders
J-Spec C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 02:42 AM   #3
Prerunner1982

yes it does j-spec. but i kinda like the idea, just look at the guage to know how much is in there... without switching..
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 03:12 AM   #4
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Would be very easy to do wiring wise but only thing would be is where to place all those gauges

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 11:32 AM   #5
PHOENIX

Brandon I have a non A/C model so I would probly mount them in the upper right corner of the dash bezel where the air duct would be. I have all AutoMeter gauges and Im love them. I was thinking about adding a vacuum gauge and/or air to fuel ratio gauge up there, but I really havent decided.

Now im kinda thinking about running something between the tanks like Jon talked about in the other post.
Old 12-11-2002, 12:21 PM   #6
J-Spec C10
Whats this wire for?....

I have an air/fuel auometer gauge, its silly. I lights up lots, but sweeps back and forth every half sec. because thats when the O2 sensor sends info to the ecu. If you have a system or high powered lighting, it messes up the voltage needed for the sensor to read right. (the a/f is in the CRX not the truck)

'82 C10 Resto-Custom--> * 2 1/4" manifold back dual exhaust with Hooker Aerochambers & High Flow Cats *Taylor Ignition Wires *Centerline 15" Telstars with 32"x10" mudders
J-Spec C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 12:54 PM   #7
PHOENIX

Yeha im not real sure if I want to go with the a/f ratio yet or not. It seems that alot of people are unhappy with them. They get sick of watching the ights dance around. I think I might like it though. Im still undecided on that one.
Old 12-11-2002, 11:07 PM   #8
Prerunner1982

full of ideas

i have been full of ideas lately.. how about this.. do custom guages like swerve.. nix the big a$$ fuel guage, install tach.. then use one small guage for each tank, so you can still switch them but still know how much is in each...
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 03:21 AM   #9
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Plus then you could know which tank is being used as well as if your tank valve in not working correctly (don't ask)

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 08:20 AM   #10
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

I put a Autometer A/F gauge in my truck. Like you, thought it was something I wanted and would be cool to look at. Wrong. I mounted mine in the ashtray so I could close it when I didn't want to see it. It was one of the most irritating things I have ever done. Even with the ashtray closed, I could still see the lights bouncing around through the crack.

Now after saying all this, I have the complete setup I'll sell you if you think you still want it.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 02:04 PM   #11
PHOENIX

Prerunner1982:
I already have a full setup of AutoMeter gauges. I have a larger tach and smaller fuel gauge. I was thinking about adding another fuel gauge, but I would have to mount the added gauges in the upper right corner where the A/C duct is.

Swervin I have the silver ring/silver face gauges. What is the a/f ration gauge you have? I may be interested in it. What is the complete setup your talking about? I may be interested in that also.