The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2009, 12:19 AM   #1
72 CustomCamper
huh ???

Anyone know?

Does anybody know where you can get the upper bearing for a tilt column? I checked with the local GM dealership and they don't havae a listing on it anymore...

Chuck

"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try to keep up!"
72 CustomCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:40 AM   #2
pig rig

Re: Anyone know?

try your local NAPA
pig rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Chuck, This is a generalization so be careful as you employ it. Tilt and straight colunms are different. Trucks from 73 to 87 use the same colunms, so, I would grab one from the bone yard that is either tilt or straight. PS or not won't matter and I don't think auto or stick matters either. Just don't try and use any colunm that's one of the newer square type. Jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:59 PM   #4
72 CustomCamper
huh ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by James McClure View Post
Chuck, This is a generalization so be careful as you employ it. Tilt and straight colunms are different. Trucks from 73 to 87 use the same colunms, so, I would grab one from the bone yard that is either tilt or straight. PS or not won't matter and I don't think auto or stick matters either. Just don't try and use any colunm that's one of the newer square type. Jim
WTH are you babbling about. I'm just trying to find an upper bearing so I can rebuild a friend's 77 tilt column. Also there are differences between the 73-87 columns...

Chuck

"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try to keep up!"
72 CustomCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:39 AM   #5
fast75
Go Hard or Go Home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 CustomCamper View Post
WTH are you babbling about. I'm just trying to find an upper bearing so I can rebuild a friend's 77 tilt column. Also there are differences between the 73-87 columns...

Chuck
damn bud, the man was trying to help you out. should've listened to him, he has ALOT of useful information, and apparently the bearing you needed.

2008 Dodge crew cab. YEAH, it's got a hemi, your ass is going to jail quick.

Some day's, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints................................
fast75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:30 AM   #6
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Chuck, first off I don't babble. 33 years working for Chevy I know what I'm talking about. I've done more of these colunms than I can remember. The colunms are different but not the bearing you seek. NAPA probably won't have it, but I won't swear to it. I've probably got 5 of those colunms here. I would have just mailed you the bearing(s) you needed, but your lack of respect for someone trying to help really ticked me off, SO, don't hold your hand over your butt waiting, I'll throw it in the trash before I'll help you. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:55 AM   #7
dammitmitchell
the pollock

There is no need to EVER be disrespectful on the board..
take your negative responses elsewhere..
this place covers all generations and has some incredible advice..
if you want to piss it all away fine..
but this isnt the mall.. this isnt walmart.. so use your attitude there.. the board member DO NOT want to deal with it..

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343538
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386042
dammitmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote