The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2009, 08:34 PM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

What did you get done? 02/08

I spent the weekend getting caught up on little jobs around the house. In an attempt to have a more efficient house, I replaced quite a few lights with the new low energy Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs.

I also changed my thermostats out for digital programmable units. I don't know how much impact it will have, but I feel like it's a step in the right direction.

Today was get ready for Spring day in my yard. With the temps in the upper 70's it was nice to be outside. Unfortunately I wasn't just out there "enjoying the weather". My yard crew and I bagged 25 bags of trimmings, and 8 big bundles of limbs. We put down 4 yards of mulch, and planted 8 flats of flowers.

In between that I made some fence repairs, serviced the pool, and played with me new toys from DeWalt.

I rarely see DeWalt tools on sale, much less on clearance sale. I was in Lowes looking at Dewalt tools and they had a bundle on clearance. I picked up an 18v reciprocating saw, a driver, with two batteries and charger foe 135.00. Looked the items up separately and they value at 200+, so I figure I scored quite nicely.

What did you get done?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 02-08-2009 at 08:45 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #2
vern350
like a rock

Re: What did you get done? 02/08

Found out I passed part of my 4th class power engineering exams friday night, so I did some celebrating. Truck related, I picked up a set of low-back buckets for my 81 today. Should look good once recovered.
Attached Images

Last edited by vern350; 02-08-2009 at 08:53 PM.
vern350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Installed a Hurst Mastershift Saturday that I scored on eBay. Replaced a PIA Mr. G shifter, the Mr. G shifter is now resting in a large green can at my curb. Thanks to Hurst for reminding me how much I really do love manual transmissions. The Heap is getting a V8, it might get a 5 speed too.

Cleaned out my shed today,came across a sign I had forgot about. The sign has a new home.
Attached Images

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.

Last edited by S10Fan; 02-08-2009 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Spelling, what else? LOL.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:00 PM   #4
1984 swb chevy

I put the Fatmat in my truck today. Im gettig ready to start the interior soon.Cooked some food and had my parents over for dinner.
Attached Images

1941 Willys Pickup (will never get it done) not for sale
1984 swb chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
Nolowrider

Spent Sat and Sun preparing for the mini-tub. Rims are supposed to be here Wed. Swapped the 3.73 gears for a fresh set of 4.10's. I installed the gear set on Fri. Set the backlash/pinion depth, ect. A major PITA, but got er done. Installed the axel Sat. morning and figured out that with the flip kit and my 2" rear spring hanger (homemade) was too low. So I removed the spring hangers (had to unbolt the bed and jack it up to get hanger bolts out) and installed factory ones I got from a salvage yard. Another PITA,but got er done. Today (Sun) started cutting the bed for the mini-tub and installed new set of rear shocks (Nitro drop shocks). Yep a PITA, but got er done.

Guys with flip kits-Are you guys using the shock extenders? I don't think I need to with the drop shocks.
Nolowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:27 PM   #6
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolowrider View Post
Guys with flip kits-Are you guys using the shock extenders? I don't think I need to with the drop shocks.

Mine has extensions that were on it when I bought it, You shouldn't need them with the proper drop shocks....
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:14 PM   #7
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10Fan View Post
Cleaned out my shed today,came across a sign I had forgot about

Looks good up there, Also gotta say....Where tha heck did you find oil cans to use that fill spout ? I haven't seen one of those things in close to 20 years. LOL

I started a spit shine on the ole 97 GMC, It's been sitting a few weeks so gettin it ready for the first show of this year next Saturday....
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:33 PM   #8
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

I started the weekend with a computer virus on my laptop. A really good friend came to my rescue,... and worked ALOT of hours to it that. (I owe you. you know who youu are,...)
Took the blazer for it's first "bagged" test drive to figure out ride heights and air pressures. Then I gave it a quick washed and moved it to my house
garage.
Then I pulled the bed off my '69 swb in preparation for a 5.5"/6" static drop (maybe more), using parts from blazer. I pulled the ECE rear suspension off my '71 swb (now a parts truck),... and pulled out the tilt column.
Here's a couple pics.
Attached Images

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 02-08-2009 at 10:36 PM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:45 PM   #9
D-Monkey

got my new(to me) th350 welded, bought hoses, thats about it
D-Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:16 PM   #10
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I cleaned up my garage, and added a set of stairs to access the attic. Now all the christmas decorations are put away (finally!) and my Cadillac is back inside, where it belongs.

Truck related, I think I may have talked my wife into letting me get another truck. Now I just have to figure out what I want.

Last edited by Jonboy; 02-08-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:25 PM   #11
bigblock73
yeller

I fought a rotovirus Friday into Saturday..YUCK!! Luckily, I felt better by Sunday and went to the World of Wheels. I normally don't stand in line to meet famous people, but I did this time, for two hours...to see Chip Foose. I know Chip is a good guy and all, but after seeing the way he was with everyone in front of me in line, my respect for the man grew ten-fold! He went WAY out of his way to smile, make eye contact, stand up and shake hands, pose for pics, sign just about everything imaginable, and go off stage to meet and greet those less fortunate who were confined to wheelchairs and with disabilities. I brought along my lower column cover for Yeller and asked him to sign it. He asked what vehicle it was off of and we BS'd for a couple minutes. I then asked him if he was ever going to have a 73-87 on the show (Overhaulin), he said he would like to...but who knows what kind fo control he has over that. I also picked up a bunch of cool stuff for 73-87.com at the show. If I can get my damn camera to download them, I'll post em up.
Attached Images

Last edited by bigblock73; 02-08-2009 at 10:35 PM.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:48 PM   #12
84 400
Sb 400 club

Went parts shopping and came out pretty good.
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:53 PM   #13
f.monroe

Only thing truck related was to pull the Boyds off the black truck (Fridaynight),install the Rallys and BFG's , and meet a board member in Livingston ,Tx on Sat morning to deliver them . It was nice to meet another member and pass the wheels on to someone here . I met Chevy_Man (Eric) . Nice guy . The rest of the weekend was taken with other commitments and my sisters birthday get together today . Now I have to find some 20's for the black truck .
Frank
Old 02-08-2009, 11:58 PM   #14
asphaltburner

Yo! Y'all!
Sorry, had to finish window regulator and door latch installation on my OTHER Chevy, my '76 custom-built Camaro.
FRANKENTRUCK got washed, tuned, and parked in the small garage after a small outing.
Also finished installation of an interior door for the bedroom that required re-framing.
Todd.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:08 AM   #15
sswitzke

worked all weekend on the "honey do" list
sswitzke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:12 AM   #16
SCOTI

I've been working on my 'mole'..... my RetroRod project. Last week, we cut up the frame, did the initial 're-splice', & I was working on making the boxing plates when I got some metal in my eye while grinding.

Those of you familiar w/the issue know the drilll..... visit your local primary care physician & let 'em dig around w/a needle to get it out & then scrape any rust residue off your eye lens. Fun, fun, fun.

He said no more grinding for several days. Don't tell him I went back out there Saturday for a few hours..... Today was quality time w/the family.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:22 AM   #17
hotrodhomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I've been working on my 'mole'..... my RetroRod project. Last week, we cut up the frame, did the initial 're-splice', & I was working on making the boxing plates when I got some metal in my eye while grinding.

Those of you familiar w/the issue know the drilll..... visit your local primary care physician & let 'em dig around w/a needle to get it out & then scrape any rust residue off your eye lens. Fun, fun, fun.

He said no more grinding for several days. Don't tell him I went back out there Saturday for a few hours..... Today was quality time w/the family.
I always wear safety glasses, when doing stuff like that. I highly recommend it.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:06 AM   #18
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I was working on making the boxing plates when I got some metal in my eye while grinding.
I always have a magnet close by or in my pocket when doing any metalwork. Yes, I do wear safety glasses but for some reason metal will find my eye anyway.The magnet I use is one of those pocket extending magnets. The magnet has saved me a trip to the doctor many many times. Just hold the eyelids open with one hand with the magnet in the other.

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:17 AM   #19
SCOTI

For the record..... I wear safety glasses, hearing protection, & leather gloves while working. In this instance, something still got past the eye wear. While I was back out there on Sat, I decided to use the full face shield & still managed to get something in my eye..... again. I'm pretty sure we got that one out but my GF noticed something else that she couldn't get. At this time we're hoping it was the residuals of the previous Dr.'s visit.

I'll know in a day or two (not a wink..... that's a smilely w/his eye out of comission ).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:25 AM   #20
68MoneyPit

dropped off and picked up my cab from body shop. had the drip rail removed and welded up. also had the guy do the finish work with some body filler to make it nice and smooth. I wanted to do this myself, but I didn't want to screw up on the roof of the cab. that is just a little too advanced for me. It's a subtle difference but when you see it next to another truck that subltle difference is a lot. and you dont ever have to worry about the seam sealer in the drip rail rotting out and rusting up the cab. I also picked up my frame from the powder coater. I'm not sure what color I am spraying the truck so I just had the frame coated gloss black. I have had my truck in pieces for about a year now and I am just now starting to make some forward progress. I have been finishing up my shop and now that the frame is done and I have some body work done to the cab, I am committed and can't wait to get the rest of my suspension done so I can start putting some of this stuff back together. Next is finishing off the suspension and replacing my rockers.
68MoneyPit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #21
maxreps

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10Fan View Post
I always have a magnet close by or in my pocket when doing any metalwork. Yes, I do wear safety glasses but for some reason metal will find my eye anyway.The magnet I use is one of those pocket extending magnets. The magnet has saved me a trip to the doctor many many times. Just hold the eyelids open with one hand with the magnet in the other.

Son of a .......!!! That is an awesome yet simple solution! Thank you for mentioning that, I should've thought of that before now though.
maxreps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:18 PM   #22
kevinmfduane

well i got out of work a 1pm on saturday and called my mechanic. he told me my truck still was not done despite him saying it would be done friday, the day before. after a few hours i just drove down to the shop and saw my truck on the lift with tranny fluid gushing out around the tranny pan. they ordered a new gasket and after 1.5hrs the parts guy drove up, delivered the gasket and left. the mechanic pulled the gasket out and it did not work. he hopped in his car and came back 30mins. later with the proper gasket. installed that and then worked about 45 mins. getting the shift bracket on the steering colum hooked to the gear change linkage. finally hours later at 6:20pm I left the shop $620 poorer with the following done to my truck. new tranny installed(i provided tranny), new tranny gasket and fluid, oil change, exhaust welding, one new muffler, new kick down control, and new flywheel. i was a little mad when i first pulled out of the parking lot and could not step on the gas because the old tranny was floating around in the bed and i did not bring rope or tiedowns to secure the thing. at least now my truck will moved under its own power, now.
kevinmfduane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:33 AM   #23
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

I was grinding today with safety glasses on,... and still shot some sparks of metal under them. Luckily nothing got in my eye. I hate faceshields,... but maybe I will start using them.
The "metal in your eye" deal is not fun.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 02-09-2009 at 12:34 AM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:34 AM   #24
hotrodhomi

not good when getting MRI's either
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:45 AM   #25
8t5Silverado
Mudslides 'r my specialty

I completely disassembled the 305 I picked up on Saturday and have been pouring over casting numbers and everything I can find on LE9 engines.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/500339
8t5Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote