The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2009, 12:42 AM   #1
LBJ

Found Some GM Door Panels

After the debacle with the LMC Truck repro door panels I posted last year (77 Bonanza), I finally went to the wrecking yard to look for some genies. After only walking a short way into the yard I found a dual cab 3/4 ton truck with just the thing I needed. The panels were no power with window cranks only. In absolutely great shape for a 30 Y.O. truck. They need some careful cleaning and dyeing and then they will look like new. $10 each. Not bad considering LMC charged my $175 a set for pure DASH PARTS C_R_A_P. I am going to call LMC and tell them about the trash they are selling.

Sometimes it pays to shop at the yard.
LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:48 AM   #2
66truckin

Re: Found Some GM Door Panels

hate to say but just about all the aftermarket stuff comes from the same source so all of it is going to be poor no matter who it comes from. I buy all used parts when i restore one of these trucks.
66truckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:12 AM   #3
heavychevy79
Cheyenne Super

What happens when most of our parts trucks have been crushed?

If yall see some nice parts that have been there a while you better grab them
before the truck get's crushed.

I stripped two trucks that one of my buddys was about to crush at his junkyard. I may not use the parts, but someone will.
heavychevy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

In most cases NOS or OEM is very hard to beat for quality. Congrats on your score. You do know that those panels can be converted to power if needed.

The crushing of good trucks should slow down now that the price of salavage has dropped.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:49 PM   #5
LBJ

This yard had stuff going back to the 50's! I saw several early Corvairs, three Rancheros in various states of undoing including a '59 (?), a 53 Ford or Mercury sedan pretty much complete and lots more. Guess they try to keep stuff around as long as there is salvage value. They were buying cars and parts from people bringing them by the pound but I didn't see any crushing of largely intact salavagable vehicles.

Most of the Chevy trucks had the dashes and interior parts gone. They had quite a contingent of trucks to look thru. Seems to have cleaned up the yard since I was there a year os so ago. It's all paved which makes it nice to walk around. Apache Auto Salvage on Mansfield Hwy if anyone's looking in the Fort Worth area.

I hate to buy stuff from a yard unless I can go get it myself. That way they don't tear it up. Can take my time and do it right. At least on interior stuff.

N2Trux, that's the reason I was glad to find these panels because my truck didn't have any interior power options. Hard to think of today, but didn't even have cruise control. It was a nice truck for the day, but not loaded like a Silverado. $5500 new off the Chevy lot, Spring of '77.

Last edited by LBJ; 02-19-2009 at 11:53 PM.
LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:13 AM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
N2Trux, that's the reason I was glad to find these panels because my truck didn't have any interior power options....
Mine didn't either, but we resolved that issue.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote