The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2002, 08:35 PM   #1
85Silverado

Question Fuel Tank Removal

My fuel tank sprung a leak when filled past 3/4 of a tank...i'm not sure where the hole is yet...but i imagine it's at the seam. I know new tanks are about 100 bucks so I'm probably gonna replace it but I needed to know what's the best way to remove it?

Also...has anyone dealt with shops that repair them? Do they actually fix it or just slap some sealer on...or weld it up?

Thanks for any info.

Paul D.
85Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 09:52 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

tanks

anytime ive had a hole in the tank ive went for a new one for the following reasons
If ya use the sealer to fillt he hole it always leaks again and only lasts a short time
If ya have the tank sent out to a radiator shop to get welded they invariably leave slag or pieces of the solder or weld they use int he tank which can screw up the float and all
If ya go for a new tank its properly repaired once and for all and there is no garbage in the tank to screw up the fuel system and the repair will last.
I try to runt he tank as low as i can then i place a floor jack under the tank and jack it so it holds the tank on it and then unscrew the straps and drop it down and unhook the wiring and fuel lines
Usually the tank you buy new incleds the hardware for sealing off a new fuel sender or fuel pump too
you might also want to go for a new sender unit if the sock on the bottom is all dirty and all
hope this helps

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 09:53 PM   #3
bigblock73
yeller

before you replace your tank, check to see if all your rubber hoses going to and from the tank are not cracked or leaking...that COULD be your problem.

As far as removing the tank, run it as low as you can or drain as much gas as you can (to lighten it), unscrew your fill tube from the box side, un bolt your gas line to and from the tank, disconnect any wiring, then simply unbolt the straps holding the tank on and remove the tank. Make sure you have something under the tank holding it up when you unbolt it to prevent it from crashing to the ground or injuring yourself.

I can't help on the way shops repair them...if it were me I would just buy a new one for piece of mind.

-Jeff
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 09:58 PM   #4
fanman

While were on the subject of tanks...I have a question about mine. When ever I go to fill mine, I can only get about 5 gallons in before the pump shuts off. It's acting like it's full, even though theres only a gallon or so in it. The weird thing is..if I use a gas can..I can put as much as I want in. It's almost like the nozzel from the pump is up against the filler neck, but if I have it half in/half out it still shuts off. And I can't put any more in for atleast an hour.

I'm not stuck, I've still got some gas left"
fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 12:10 AM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

tanks

fanman sounds like the vent line in your tankj is blocked you gotta drop the tank and take the vent line and see if its got crap in it blow it out with air you can also try to blow it out by disconecting it fromt he charcoal cannister int he front and blowing hi pressure air through it. you may wanna drop the tank and clean it out though if crap is blocking the vent its probably alot int he tank too

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 12:13 AM   #6
fanman

I have droped the tank before. I don't know if the problem was there before or not (didn't have my lisence yet...hence no need for gas in the truck). When I first discoverd the problem, I went home and pulled the filler neck and the vent line (the one going from the tank to the top of the filler neck). Neither were clogged. I'll try blowing the other lines from the canister, tomarow.

I'm not stuck, I've still got some gas left"
fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 06:19 AM   #7
raceman6135
Dino burner

I can't have the nozzle pushed all the way into my tank's filler neck, either, without having it shut off automatically, but when it's about half way in, it works just fine.

My truck is a 1986 C20 with dual tanks.

Not sure why you'd have to wait an hour to finish filling it, though.

DJS
raceman6135 is offline   Reply With Quote